Shocks and springs for dirt?

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Shocks and springs for dirt?

Postby Jeo » Mon May 30, 2022 4:31 pm

So I get that this is somewhat of a niche topic but though I'd ask the question and see what came back all the same. Anyone here have experience running a NA/NB on dirt, and if so, what suspension you used? I spoke with MCA and was largely met with a *shrug* or "we can custom spec some gold series if you'd like but not sure that's the level you're after". Spoiler alert, that's not really the budget I had in mind.

I'm only playing in khanacross events and certainly don't plan on turning the car into a full blown rally car, but also current shocks are feeling pretty tired so if I can upgrade at the same time...

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Shocks and springs for dirt?

Postby greenMachine » Mon May 30, 2022 5:00 pm

Brave man, sticking your head up like that :lol: :shock: :lol:

First thing, I'd be looking to some extended rear mounts - the NB rear shock travel is pretty limited and if you can get, or make, some extended tophats that would be a good start.

Where is RussellB when you need him? If only he were still with us, I am sure he would have a lot of solid advice ... you could do worse than stick your head around the door at Bates Automotive (Hume), they should know a thing or two about dirt suspensions ... Jon Waterhouse (Reliance) likewise.

I suspect that you want a monotube shock, you won't want cooling to be impaired at all.

I'm a bit surprised MCA can only do a special build on their golds, MCA cut their teeth on dirt! Unless you can luck into a rally spec shock, I think you are looking at a revalving job. The upside of that is you can get a set of cheap clapped out suitable shocks, and the rebuild cost will not push the total spend to stratospheric levels. Just make sure they can be rebuilt though. As a price guide, I have just had Heasemans rebuild a pair of PSS9s for under $600 shipped, changing the valving will add a bit but not a lot.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon May 30, 2022 5:33 pm

I think Paco Motorsports make a lift kit. I'm not sure exactly what it comprises of, but it's meant to raise the car decently, it's not new shocks so it's a bit cheaper than Gold's :mrgreen:

Ah, found the link for you!
https://pacomotorsports.com/product/3-lift-kit/

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Tue May 31, 2022 7:36 pm

I've used the ohlins in my for dirt plenty of times... And old konis, avo's... And a mate has used mca reds. It's more about your spring rates.

If the surface is more like a gravel road with hectic pot holes and sh*t, you kinda would want to be going golds.

For a mates car with reds we found 7 and 5 pretty good for the dirt sprints.
Last time I went to the dirt sprints I think was running 11 and 6 kg/mm... The ride height and 11s were probably a bit much, but still went OK.

I don't think you need paco level right height unless you're actually pretending to 4wd... Or 2wd?

I would lean towards some reds with some softer springs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Cheers,
plohl

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Tue May 31, 2022 7:41 pm

https://youtu.be/g_f5y9tBmTQ

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Cheers,
plohl

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Jeo » Tue May 31, 2022 10:04 pm

Ha, thanks folks. Replies in order...

I seem to remember Russ having PSS9's on his red NB now that you mention it Ed, but In digging back through his old posts just now he apparently swapped them out for some custom built MCA's ~2011 and was raving about them.

I do actually have a set of the Paco lift kit/spacers here but I mostly bought it as a joke. Pretty sure it won't actually help and I really don't think I can be bothered fitting it.

Pretty much where my head was at thanks plohl. Err on the softer side for springs and most off the shelf shocks should be fine. Again, certainly not trying to build a full blown rally car here, just looking at my options.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:41 am

Some of mx5rally's posts might be of interest: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=3247
For example, Bilsteins & Kings mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37171

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”