THE MX5 ROAD TRIP! BRIS - SYD - MELB and Back again!

National, State and Local events, Club or Informal runs

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, AJ

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby NMX516 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Yep, saw a couple of those - the most exciting of which was the hand brake turn that one pulled in front of me, to chase down a speeding falcon... :roll:
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:41 pm

NMX516 wrote:Yep, saw a couple of those - the most exciting of which was the hand brake turn that one pulled in front of me, to chase down a speeding falcon... :roll:

All in the name of safety of course... :roll: :roll: :roll: :x :evil:
Spartan Motor Sport : http://www.SpartanMS.com.au

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Re:

Postby Craig » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Boags'MX5 wrote:
NMX516 wrote:Yep, saw a couple of those - the most exciting of which was the hand brake turn that one pulled in front of me, to chase down a speeding falcon... :roll:

All in the name of safety of course... :roll: :roll: :roll: :x :evil:

Safety in numbers (of speeding fines no doubt! :roll: )

Boags
Speed Racer

Postby Boags » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm struggling here. I... Just.. Want... To... RANT!!

But i'm going to control myself.

NMX - you must get around! :shock: Just back from Newcastle and going down to Sydney next weekend! Thanks for the heads up of the highway plod, but in this day and age, there just isn't any point speeding. It's too expensive. I'm quite proud of the fact that I've only had one speeding fine in just over 4 years of driving... :oops: Touch wood.

Such is life...

Craig
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Craig » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:53 pm

Boags'MX5 wrote:I'm struggling here. I... Just.. Want... To... RANT!!

But i'm going to control myself

First time for everything! :lol: :P :lol:

MUWAHAHAHA!!! :mrgreen:

AJ
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby AJ » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:56 pm

probly a bloody sight safer than the youtube video screened on tv tonite of a P plater pulling 130 - 170 kmh on a busy freeway boags..........never forget, there's always 2 sides to a story.............all in the name of safety of course :roll:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often
XMX5 Rogues

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:00 pm

AJ wrote:probly a bloody sight safer than the youtube video screened on tv tonite of a P plater pulling 130 - 170 kmh on a busy freeway boags..........never forget, there's always 2 sides to a story.............all in the name of safety of course :roll:

My only reply to that AJ is that lowering the speed limit doesn't stop that kind of knob head driving like a knob head. What it does is cause more deaths from people driving to Sydney falling asleep or getting distracted, because the journey now takes 1 hour longer...

Dick heads will always find a way to kill themselves and clean up some innocent bystanders while they are at it, whether it is legal or not. :cry: That is the sad thing.

Speed does not kill and never has. Idiots behind the wheel are the weapon. And you know this isn't a hit at you AJ ;)

NMX516
Speed Racer

Postby NMX516 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:28 pm

:D It was a very impromptu trip. I found out at about 7pm on Saturday night, that I was catching a plane to Newcastle at 6am Sunday! Went with a cousin to pick up a car he was buying, and then drive it back home.

Luckily HSV's are fitted with cruise control 8)

What I found most frustrating about the Police presence was the fact that it seems if you're doing just slightly over the limit, you'll be booked. Don't ask me what grounds I have for coming to that conclusion - it was the vibe! Unfortunately I found myself looking at the speedo more than I would normally do, which of course means, I wasn't concentrating on the road as much as I otherwise would have been. Even with cruise control on, you still have to be careful of it running away from you down the hills...

Luckily HSV's have an annoying 'over speed' alert too :roll:
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Craig wrote:
Boags'MX5 wrote:I'm struggling here. I... Just.. Want... To... RANT!!

But i'm going to control myself

First time for everything! :lol: :P :lol:

MUWAHAHAHA!!! :mrgreen:

:oops: I do get a little worked up some times eh?! :roll:

:lol:

Sean
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Sean » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:22 pm

NMX516 wrote::D It was a very impromptu trip. I found out at about 7pm on Saturday night, that I was catching a plane to Newcastle at 6am Sunday! Went with a cousin to pick up a car he was buying, and then drive it back home.

Luckily HSV's are fitted with cruise control 8)

What I found most frustrating about the Police presence was the fact that it seems if you're doing just slightly over the limit, you'll be booked. Don't ask me what grounds I have for coming to that conclusion - it was the vibe! Unfortunately I found myself looking at the speedo more than I would normally do, which of course means, I wasn't concentrating on the road as much as I otherwise would have been. Even with cruise control on, you still have to be careful of it running away from you down the hills...

Luckily HSV's have an annoying 'over speed' alert too :roll:

I've found the cops on teh roads over Christmas to be extremely reasonable in all my dealings - I'm a mid 20 year old male with a modified car, so I doubt many people fitting into my stereo type would be found giving the cops a wrap!

I was pulled over CHristmas eve by a typical RBT station when the officer looked over the (after I passed the RBT) he asked me if the car was registered...

I sunk into my seat realising I hadn't changed the label and the rego was renewed over a month ago, No excuse I had been slack. I told him yes and he asked about the label, I had it in teh glovebox and explained I had problems removing theold sticker in it's entirity as shown by the corners having been scratched away, I showed him the completed new paperwork and handed my engineers certification over too. He walked back to his car (i assume to radio for a check of my details) then came back and told me to remove the older stocker and place the new one on as soon as I got home, and not to drive it again til that was done.

He then told me to try a razorblade and hari dryer for easy removal and wished me a merry Christmas!

I drove off superhappy and have been telling teh story every christmas since...

Other story is teh cop who went past (opposite direction) when I was doing a tad over teh limit on the highway at Christmas (talking 115 or 120 in a 110 zone). He waved at me a slow down sort of gesture and kept going!

About ten minutes later I am passed by a barina that is absolutely off it's tree motoring, at least 140-150, less than a minute later a cop car flys past.

Not far up the road I see the cop had caught the barina and was booking her - It looked like teh same cop who had waved me to slow down.

I was happy to see that they would overlook a minor overspeed, but did the right thing to pull over the lunatic in barina. Still if he would have booked me, I couldn't complain, 5 kays or 50 kays over is still speeding.
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

Boags
Speed Racer

Postby Boags » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:39 am

It gives me hope hearing stories like that! That is how it should be too.

Are you coming along for a drive while I'm down Sean?

Boags

Sean
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Sean » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:49 pm

Boags'MX5 wrote:It gives me hope hearing stories like that! That is how it should be too.

Boags

More than likely :lol:
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Sean wrote:
Boags'MX5 wrote:It gives me hope hearing stories like that! That is how it should be too.

Boags

More than likely :lol:

/Mr Burns Voice

Eeeeeexcelent! :D

/End Mr Burns Voice

Craig
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:57 am

Boags'MX5 wrote: :oops: I do get a little worked up some times

Who you...never! :lol:

You've just been upgraded to the Penthouse by the way...Queen size bed and it's own onsuite! 8)

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:31 am

Craig wrote:
Boags'MX5 wrote: :oops: I do get a little worked up some times

Who you...never! :lol:

You've just been upgraded to the Penthouse by the way...Queen size bed and it's own onsuite! 8)

:shock:

How did we manage that??? Umm, errrrr... Thank-you! :mrgreen:

Return to “MX5 Events”