THE MX5 ROAD TRIP! BRIS - SYD - MELB and Back again!

National, State and Local events, Club or Informal runs

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, AJ

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:55 pm

I come with it! :P (just kidding!!! :lol: )

Flatmate is away for longer than expected so room is available for you and the missus!

Boags
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Re:

Postby Boags » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Craig wrote:I come with it! :P

:shock: :lol:

I'm so excited all 6 of my nipples are tingling!

Boags

PS - Bonus points for whoever can name where that quote comes from. :mrgreen:
Spartan Motor Sport : http://www.SpartanMS.com.au

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Re:

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:16 pm

Boags'MX5 wrote:I'm so excited all 6 of my nipples are tingling!

:shock:

KIJIMA
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby KIJIMA » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:57 pm

So your coming to Melbourne you say...Pity its around new years, but I might be able to get away for a bit during sunday the 31st for a blat somewhere if your intrested mate!
Money can't buy Talent, but it can buy Horsepower and sometimes that's enough

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:00 pm

KIJIMA wrote:So your coming to Melbourne you say...Pity its around new years, but I might be able to get away for a bit during sunday the 31st for a blat somewhere if your intrested mate!

Absolutely! I'll be staying at Fatty's by the looks of it, and I think the 31st will be a tour of the Spurs or something...

Fatty, where will we be?

30th is the GOR. 8)

Boags

KIJIMA
Racing Driver

Postby KIJIMA » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:09 pm

Well, the spurs are very near my neck of the woods, so I 'should' be able to catch up in theory, thats of course unless the dept. of war has other ideas. :roll:
Money can't buy Talent, but it can buy Horsepower and sometimes that's enough

Fatty
Speed Racer

Postby Fatty » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:17 pm

my place is in preston. so on the 31st i reckon we'll be heading off to the spurs from my place earlyish, up thru kinglake, toolangi area to get to healesville (start of black spur) and take it from there. so any recommendations of detours along the way (such as the lake mountain rd etc..are welcome.

now about the 29th...turns out i have a gig in barwon heads (i think), supporting the models. will probly stay the night, so i will already be down near the great ocean rd, for the drive on the 30th.

so this might throw a spanner in the works re you staying at mine on the 29th, as i will probly be out of town already, by the time you get here. might still be ok tho, depending on what time you arrive.
or you could just motor on down to barwon heads and stay there the night in a motel or something, and come see my band :D
anyway once i find out the details (it's all a bit sketchy at the moment), i'll let you know.

NMX516
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby NMX516 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:49 pm

Sean wrote:I've found the cops on teh roads over Christmas to be extremely reasonable in all my dealings - I'm a mid 20 year old male with a modified car, so I doubt many people fitting into my stereo type would be found giving the cops a wrap!

I was pulled over CHristmas eve by a typical RBT station when the officer looked over the (after I passed the RBT) he asked me if the car was registered...

I sunk into my seat realising I hadn't changed the label and the rego was renewed over a month ago, No excuse I had been slack. I told him yes and he asked about the label, I had it in teh glovebox and explained I had problems removing theold sticker in it's entirity as shown by the corners having been scratched away, I showed him the completed new paperwork and handed my engineers certification over too. He walked back to his car (i assume to radio for a check of my details) then came back and told me to remove the older stocker and place the new one on as soon as I got home, and not to drive it again til that was done.

He then told me to try a razorblade and hari dryer for easy removal and wished me a merry Christmas!

I drove off superhappy and have been telling teh story every christmas since...

Other story is teh cop who went past (opposite direction) when I was doing a tad over teh limit on the highway at Christmas (talking 115 or 120 in a 110 zone). He waved at me a slow down sort of gesture and kept going!

About ten minutes later I am passed by a barina that is absolutely off it's tree motoring, at least 140-150, less than a minute later a cop car flys past.

Not far up the road I see the cop had caught the barina and was booking her - It looked like teh same cop who had waved me to slow down.

I was happy to see that they would overlook a minor overspeed, but did the right thing to pull over the lunatic in barina. Still if he would have booked me, I couldn't complain, 5 kays or 50 kays over is still speeding.

That is good to hear Sean. I wasn't having a go at the Police presence as such, but it just seemed like everyone on the roads was too scared to go even a couple of kays over the limit. Not that they should be, but when attention is focused on watching your speed very closely as you drive, it is then not focused so much on the road, other vehicles etc.

It would be good if there was more obvious Police presence on the roads in QLD, but because there isn't, plenty of people seem to think they can get away with excessive speeds. While unmarked cars equiped with radar no doubt catch speedsters, they don't let other motorists see a Police presence on the roads. As such, people aren't as concerned about keeping left, or tailgating etc, because it isn't obvious to them that there is any Police around to pull them up for that sort of behaviour....

Anyway, enough of my rant dragging this off topic! Back to the great road trip :D
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

rhysk
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Re:

Postby rhysk » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:11 pm

Red Dwarf :)
supercharged NB (in Brisbane) - qr 1:01:75 (s), 1:05.90 (c)
jaguar xjr supercharged v8

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:09 pm

rhysk wrote:

Red Dwarf :)

Well done Rhys! :lol: Red Dwarf it was!

Thanks for the write up Fatty. Can you PM me your details, I'll give you a call so we can talk about what the best plan of attack is!

Boags

Boags
Speed Racer

Postby Boags » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:37 am

Okay guys. So far there is little chance of the Boagsmobile embarking on the road trip. :cry:

So, I will either can the trip to pay for an engine :x or go anyway in the lanos. I'd really like to meet everyone and have a holiday, but I just don't know at this stage, i'll keep everyone informed. :(

kitkat
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Re:

Postby kitkat » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:47 am

Boags'MX5 wrote:or go anyway in the lanos.

come in the lanos!!! Were going in a fagna :mrgreen:

Boags
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Boags » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:02 pm

Boags'MX5 wrote:Okay guys. So far there is little chance of the Boagsmobile embarking on the road trip. :cry:

So, I will either can the trip to pay for an engine :x or go anyway in the lanos. I'd really like to meet everyone and have a holiday, but I just don't know at this stage, i'll keep everyone informed. :(

:oops: See thread in E, T $ FD :oops:

The road trip is going ahead as planned. :lol: :roll:

Boags
Speed Racer

Postby Boags » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:25 am

Hey guys!!!

Leaving Brisbane at \"Farrow's Spart\" in the morning. We'll be in Sydney mid afternoon, settling in and hopefully resting after the long trip!

We are really looking forward to meeting everyone and saying hello! Make sure you come out to one of the runs if you can!

Thanks heaps guys, and we'll see you soon!

Boags

Fatty
Speed Racer

Postby Fatty » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:31 pm

hey boags did you get my pm with my contact details?

you staying at mine on the 29th is looking unlikely. i think i will be down in barwon heads that day.

also, my radiator has developed a leak!!!!!!!!!! i am going to try and get it looked at tomorow before i head off on my 2 day holiday. hoping it's not going to stop me from going away, and going on the g.o.r and spur runs!

talk about bad timing :cry:

Return to “MX5 Events”