Speed on Tweed - Now with Piktchas

National, State and Local events, Club or Informal runs

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, AJ

SPy vs. SPy
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Speed on Tweed - Now with Piktchas

Postby SPy vs. SPy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:05 pm

MX5-SP his good lady & myself are heading down tomorrow via roads most twisty.

Meet 0900 for 0930

Exit 79, Elsie Laver Park, Mudgeeraba

rough plan
up Springbrook, out to to Nerang-Murbah Rd

Murbah for a couple of hours

lunch at the pub

a few more cars

back through Condong over to the coast for coffee etc.

All points North

no great need to rsvp but if we don't know your coming we won't know to wait :shock:
Last edited by SPy vs. SPy on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Went for a drive and there were slow cars everywhere, why are NC's so common . . . must be NC = Normally Cardiganed.

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby NMX516 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:26 pm

Count me in SPy :)
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:41 pm

WoooHooo, great to be out and about again!

Interesting day out. Only 3 cars, with Jerard being wedged between 2 SPs all the way. Leaving Elsie Laver Park at Mudgeeraba, we went up Springbrook Road passing one rather severely pranged motorcycle about halfway up. Peeling off down Pine Creek Road a somewhat impatient motorcyclist overtook us in a tricky spot and I thought for a moment we might end up peeling him off a tree a bit further on.

...A delightfully pleasant run through the Numinbah Valley and everyone behaving themselves until about 2Kms out of Murwillumbah when a Tarago with a couple of adults in the front and laden with kids...overtook the 5 cars in front of it (3xMX5s + two others). Sure the road was straight, but why bother?...2kms to go?

Anyway, at the event, it turns out \"The MAZDA Car Club\" had a special parking spot reserved - roped-off room for about 20 cars I should think. Not sure why or how, but it looked a bit over-the-top for the two MX5s directed to it (The event marshalls directed Polarbeer to what I can only assume to be a special parking lot for blue cars, coincidentally on the same spot on what is usually the showground pig-pens and the stall displaying rude vegetables).

Trackside we were rewarded with the sights, sounds and smells of vintage racing cars... or was that Polarbeer's old tee-shirt? The track offers several great vantage points and the rain held off sufficiently to make things interesting without spoiling the day. Access is good and one can get quite close to the cars. Plenty of happy-snappers, thanks to digital photography. So Many pix to choose from!

Made our way back to the carpark(s) after the last race having escaped the rain once more at the local pub (outside the circuit). We took the side road via Clothiers Creek towards the coast road and stopped off at Kingscliff for a coffee and review of the days events before heading off home.

A great day.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

NMX516
Speed Racer

Postby NMX516 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

Yes, it was a great day, thanks guys. I love driving those northern NSW roads, and SPy seems to know where most of the good ones are. And great company too. I was a little apprehensive of going on a run with two SP's to keep up with, but it was a good pace, and the NB8A didn't embarress itself!

The bike we saw crashed, made an appearance on the ABC news last night... Apparently it had been side swiped by a car which failed to stop - Police are looking for the car. The news story mentioned 2 other bike crashes in SE QLD yesterday as well. I can understand why, having seen some of the antics yesterday.

I was also surprised at the number of cyclists riding up and down the road to Springbrook.

Oh, and at Speed on Tweed I sat in a new Lotus Exige S :D It was an experiment really, as I didn't think anyone over about 5and a half feet tall would be able to fit in... Climbing in wasn't easy, I'm sure there would have been an easier method to the one I chose, but once inside.... Fantastic!! Driving position was ideal, and I had about two inches of headroom (I'm just over 6ft tall). Great little car.

SPy and I got caught in the rain on the way home.... Luckily we didn't have to stop, and maintained a good KDS (Keep Dry Speed - my new found term from the day!)

:)

SPy vs. SPy
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby SPy vs. SPy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:11 pm

purdy pitchas, I need to fix a few up.

Speedo's on Tweed
Went for a drive and there were slow cars everywhere, why are NC's so common . . . must be NC = Normally Cardiganed.

NMX516
Speed Racer

Postby NMX516 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:55 pm

8) Thanks SPy, some great pics in there

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:23 am

Some really nice pics. I saw Herbie !

Marador
Fast Driver

Postby Marador » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:48 pm

ive gotta keep a better eye on this section of the forum... i would have loved to have come to that.
Silver SP

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby MX5-SP » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:09 pm

SPy vs. SPy wrote:purdy pitchas, I need to fix a few up.

Speedo's on Tweed

Yeah, great pix Mark. Thanks for posting them. I might get around to doing mine one day!
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

Kev05
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Speed on Tweed - Now with Piktchas

Postby Kev05 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:19 pm

I realised this thread is 5 years old but anyone thinking of organising a similar run?

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 pm

I think Speed On Tweed died a couple of years ago. :(

Kev05
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Kev05 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 pm

JBT wrote:I think Speed On Tweed died a couple of years ago. :(

also noticed the same fate for Brisbane Topless car run.

Would be interesting organising an annual drive to benefit a different charity each year. However it would be a mammoth task organising venues. The cost for such event would be taxing on the organiser who is usually responsible for paying upfront.

Return to “MX5 Events”