Which way home from NatMeet?

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Which way home from NatMeet?

Postby JBT » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:43 pm

I'm looking at a route (not necessarily the shortest or straightest 8) ) to Brisbane from Beechworth after NatMeet 2008. Don't plan on being down that way again (by road anyway) in the medium future, so we want to get some sights in. We lived in Canberra 30+ years ago and that was the last time we were anywhere near the Snowy Mtns.

Anyway, plan so far for day 1 is to go across to Corryong and then Khancoban, Jindabyne, Berridale, Adaminaby, Kiandra and overnight at Tumut.

Day2 and 3 we'll just head off north and hopefully drop in past Bathurst for a run over \"the hill\" and then trundle up through Mudgee, Dunedoo, Coolah, Mullaley, Tamworth and then the New England (or maybe via the Gwydir and Pacific Hwys after Glen Innes) for the rest.

We want to stay on sealed roads that won't rip the bejeesus out of the MX-5.

Any comments, clues or extra ideas on this plan?

john!
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby john! » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:37 pm

Try the Bruxner Highway out of Tenterfield heading to Lismore, some nice twisties and not too many cars when I was through there last. If you take a left just past Tabulam there is a road that heads back up towards Woodenbong, it is a bit bumpy but nice country, and sets you up for a run back via the Summerland Way, or through the Lions road, or up to Murwullimbah and the Numinbah valley if you are really keen.

john!

Wotsa
Fast Driver

Re: Which way home from NatMeet?

Postby Wotsa » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:44 pm

JBT wrote:I'm looking at a route (not necessarily the shortest or straightest 8) ) to Brisbane from Beechworth after NatMeet 2008.

Anyway, plan so far for day 1 is to go across to Corryong and then Khancoban, Jindabyne, Berridale, Adaminaby, Kiandra and overnight at Tumut.

Day2 and 3 we'll just head off north and hopefully drop in past Bathurst for a run over "the hill" ...
Any comments, clues or extra ideas on this plan?

Could I suggest that instead of going via Jindabyne, you turn off just before Khancoban and go via Cabramurra to Kiandra and then to Tumut. It is a bit shorter and IMHO a much better drive.

From Tumut there are some great roads via Gundagai, Cootamundra and Young to Cowra and then on to the Mountain.
2005 Mephisto Grae mit Eibachs

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:48 am

I'm hoping to spend a week or so in Melbourne after Natmeet.

Would be nice to do a few runs or catch up for dinner/drinks with anyone else who's in town.

Going to spend any time in Melbourne JBT?
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:18 am

Wotsa wrote:....go via Cabramurra to Kiandra and then to Tumut. It is a bit shorter and IMHO a much better drive.

That's Option 2 for Day 1. Is it better from a road surface view point or scenery or both? I appreciate the significant extra distance (180ish km)around the southern loop, and I must say that I'm a bit concerned about going all that way if it's just more of the same.

Okibi wrote:Going to spend any time in Melbourne JBT?
Not this time Okibi. 18 months there during my RAAF service gave me enough memories :)

Wotsa
Fast Driver

Re:

Postby Wotsa » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:50 pm

JBT wrote:[ Is it better from a road surface view point or scenery or both? I appreciate the significant extra distance (180ish km)around the southern loop, and I must say that I'm a bit concerned about going all that way if it's just more of the same.

We did the run from Corryong to Kiandra and then to Cooma weeks ago. The road surface is excellent and the scenery is spectacular. The southern loop is nice but if its a drive your after, then the shorter one is the go.

I will probably return from Natmeet the same way but then head to Cooma and north to Canberra. It is about the same distance from Beechworth but a much nicer drive.
2005 Mephisto Grae mit Eibachs

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”