The Putty Road

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

Zohxoco
Fast Driver

Re: The Putty Road

Postby Zohxoco » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 am

Since I'm on the north side just wondering of thoughts on this route

Hornsby -> galtson road -> mid dural -> old northern rd -> wisemans -> St albans road -> wallambine st -> mogo creek road -> wise mans ferry rd -> great north road -> Paynes crossing road -> broke -> broke mount thorny road -> putty road --> windsor

BadBong
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby BadBong » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:33 am

Hey Zohxoco,

I literally drove this route just this Sunday.

I was going to go on the full putty road path but one of my mates had to leave early so we modified the route. My only concern was most parts of wisemans ferry road had no lines and it became a bit dangerous when you have blind right turns at anything over 80kms.

P.S. They don't even have suggested speed signs around bends... so it's all up to you to be the judge.

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 pm

I had a fabulous drive bringing Snow White back from Sydney in early May this year. I was able to do the drive mid-week and filled up at Windsor on the way out around 08:00. I had a clear run except for some roadworks, but other than that it was a fantastic drive. There's a really good twisty section about 60kms from Windsor which was a bit of a surprise as I thought the good bits were all behind me at that stage. I'll try it again one day going into Sydney... much more entertaining than the Newcastle Freeway.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

tony1952
Learner Driver

Postby tony1952 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 pm

I see this thread is pretty dated but I'm pretty new here so here goes.
Drove from Adelaide recently to do some driving around the Blue Mts. Mate in his Z3 and me in the NC.
Drove the Putty Rd(by myself) to Karuah and what a great run. I have dríven it a few times before but not in an MX5 which I've wanted to do since I bought it. Only thing that marred the run was I could see a dirty big mack truck hurtling along Putty Rd about a Km behind me. No way was I going to let this monster sit off my tailpipe so I pulled over to let him past. Sure I could have outrun him but who wants to drive 1.253 Km to do the Putty rd. at breakneck pace? It's a classic drive IMHO. Drove south down to the "Sea Cliff Bridge" on the Lawrence Hargrave Dve. the next day. The bridge is only about 1 Km but it's a nice windy drive if the weather's in your favor which in my case it was. :D

feel_ixx
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby feel_ixx » Mon May 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Went out to Putty Rd last Saturday night. It's a lot bumpier than I remembered, but there was about a 5km interesting section with a 35km hairpin within it that was quite smooth. However, its not the widest road and understeer / oversteer could mean off the cliff, into a wall or into oncoming from the many blind corners... I wouldn't push it any more than a semi spirited drive.

But then again, it was at night and my tyres are horrendous...
- Felix

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Tue May 29, 2012 6:59 am

feel_ixx wrote:Went out to Putty Rd last Saturday night. It's a lot bumpier than I remembered, but there was about a 5km interesting section with a 35km hairpin within it that was quite smooth. However, its not the widest road and understeer / oversteer could mean off the cliff, into a wall or into oncoming from the many blind corners... I wouldn't push it any more than a semi spirited drive.

...Hey - I think I've found your problem! There are at least two clues in your last line ... see if you can spot them. The third clue is also there, but less obvious and it would be rude of me to mention it.

feel_ixx wrote:But then again, it was at night and my tyres are horrendous...
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

feel_ixx
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby feel_ixx » Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 pm

lol I wasn't going very fast if that's what you mean. What I meant to say was that putty rd seemed like blind corner after blind corner on uneven road.

Even going the speed limit felt uncomfortable.
- Felix

cemilbrowne
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby cemilbrowne » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:24 am

Hi all,

Just thought I'd put in a vote for Putty Rd. Did the run yesterday in my new '06. Fantastic driver's road - lots of fun, great scenery, awesome time.

Ridiculously easy to get to from Sydney as well. Just take the M2 to Abbott Rd., turn right and keep going to Singleton.

-Cemil

mx54nb
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby mx54nb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Great road, worth the hour detour to Singleton to head to Sydney any day! :D
Helen

2004 Sunlight Silver SE , 2003 Ti Silver NB, Subaru Levorg and a Nissan Leaf...the Mazdas keep me sane.

:NB8B:

corners
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Supercharged

Postby corners » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Drove the first 50kms south of Singleton on NYE and was well worth the drive!
Steampunk wrote: Oh you've got Ohlins? You must like drugs too!!!

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”