Why?

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

THE REAL BORIS

Why?

Postby THE REAL BORIS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:41 am

Why do so many drivers (TOP GEAR INCLUDED) seek out the twisty roads and then set about trying to straighten them out by cutting the corners? :shock: :?:

Present company excepted of course. :D

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 am

because they can. :mrgreen:
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:38 am

On sharper corners, I cut just enough so that my inside tyres are just in the other lane.
As I'm not the most skillful of drivers on here, and I'm actually still finding the handling limits, I do it to increase my margin for error.

cranky_smurf

Postby cranky_smurf » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Apex???!!!!

cranky_smurf

Postby cranky_smurf » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Oh and they have blocked of the road for 5-10km and can use that stretch,
So they can cross the road!

pepejesus
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Why?

Postby pepejesus » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 pm

THE REAL BORIS wrote:Why do so many drivers (TOP GEAR INCLUDED) seek out the twisty roads and then set about trying to straighten them out by cutting the corners? :shock: :?:

At the risk of stating the bleedingly obvious... it's the fastest way around a corner. :roll:

rich85

Postby rich85 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:04 pm

i think top gear just like exploiting the fact that they have the jaguar AND the road all to their goddamn selves!

THE REAL BORIS

Postby THE REAL BORIS » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 am

pepejesus wrote:
THE REAL BORIS wrote:Why do so many drivers (TOP GEAR INCLUDED) seek out the twisty roads and then set about trying to straighten them out by cutting the corners? :shock: :?:

At the risk of stating the bleedingly obvious... it's the fastest way around a corner. :roll:

You missed the point, that is unless you have more fun on straight roads. Surely the whole point of a challenging, twisty road is to get round them safely, on your side of the road and, as you say, as quickly as possible, otherwise there's no point in looking for twisty roads, is there??!!

pepejesus
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby pepejesus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Seriously, Boris, if you're having trouble understanding that taking an outside-inside-outside line around a corner doesn't necessarily make it a straight, I can perhaps draw you some pictures?

Locutus
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Locutus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:04 pm

ignoring lane markings, using the whole road and hitting apexes makes a twisty road 50x more fun to drive on. it's not just about the corners - it's about how to take those corners at speed, with a correct racing line.

not that i'm condoning this type of driving on public roads though.

Jimmy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:01 pm

THE REAL BORIS wrote:
pepejesus wrote:

You missed the point, that is unless you have more fun on straight roads. Surely the whole point of a challenging, twisty road is to get round them safely, on your side of the road and, as you say, as quickly as possible, otherwise there's no point in looking for twisty roads, is there??!!

If you were test driving some exotic Lambo and had 15km or windy, hilly road to yourself then surely you would use the road to your best advantage. This means entering corners at higher speeds and hitting the apex spot on while utilising both lanes of the road. If you think about it, if u were to stick to a single lane then your speeds are slower as you dont have nearly as much road to work with when entering corners. Generally, a single lane means lower speeds round corners and a different apex. Its all relative to how much road you have got to work with. If you've got two lanes then why not enjoy them! My 2c.

mightyrollaman
Fast Driver

Postby mightyrollaman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:32 am

JimmyJ5 wrote: If you've got two lanes then why not enjoy them!

Because then you'd be driving on the wrong side of the road Jimmy.
The Rolla is mightier than the sword.

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 am

some diagrams

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Is it just the photo, or my eyes, but I don't see any side-impact bars protrusions in the doors. I hope this is a non-Aus model.... or did NA6's not come with side-impact bars?

FMS01
Fast Driver

Postby FMS01 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Article calls the car a miata and thats definitely a yank tank behind it. not Aus my guess.

Cheers,
Julian

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”