Skenes Creek Road (off GOR)

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

Jace
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Jace » Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 pm

this road is mega fun, and usually very quiet.
although, the cop from Forrest was cruising up and down the road in an unmarked black SS commonbore the other day, so be weary.
also, it can be a very slippery road, as you basically pass through rainforest and some very low sections.
all up, i think it works out as a better drive than the Great Ocean Road itself, because there is much less traffic, and a few corners that i consider to be better than any between the start of the GOR and Apollo Bay.
next time you're down there, it's definitely worth the detour

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 2&t=h&z=12

bensale
Racing Driver

Postby bensale » Mon May 18, 2009 11:44 pm

+1 Probebly the best road I've ever dríven, but its a close thing between it and the section between Lorne and Apollo bay on the GOR. Definently a road to take extreme caution on though, there are a fair few blind corners and some that stay wet even on dry days. However, the sections where you can see ahead are fantastic!
www.othersideproductions.com
NA6-Phillip Island 1:57.7, Winton 1:42.9, Winton Short 1:12.4, Sandown 1:35.2, Wakefield 1.15.9, Nurburgring 9:17.0

pcmx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pcmx5 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:24 am

I always tell visitors to take a side trip up that road, go up about 12 klms (if that is all you have time for)and then come back to the GOR as the return trip has amazingly spectaular views as well as being a great drive.
So another vote!

Peter
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

BigDamo
Driver

Postby BigDamo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:01 am

+ 2 for this one, great road. I haven't had the 5 down there yet and I usually have the mountain bike on the roof when I'm down that way, but its always a great drive. I was heading down there once of an early morning ride out of apollo bay, I was in the old rolly polly hatch, and it was such a great drive I nearly had to stop for a chunder half way between forrest and skenes creek!

And if your down that way with a mountain bike the trails around Forrest are to die for, Mariners Run and the Magic Carpet Ride are particular faves.

Jace
Racing Driver

Postby Jace » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 pm

this road gets more amazing heading into winter. go check it out!

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:13 pm

We drove up (and back down) on this road on the way back from Natmeet 2010 - excellent piece of road indeed.

pcmx5
Racing Driver

Postby pcmx5 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Glad you enjoyed it JBT, did you just go to Tambourine(12 klms up) or did you go to the picnic ground for lunch?

Peter.
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 pm

We had lunch at Appollo Bay. We went up as far as Mt Sabine and then onto some dirt road looking for a lookout. Couldn't find it so ran back down. :mrgreen: Great bit of road and some great scenic views on the way down. Went on to Lorne for afternoon coffee.

pageymx5

Re: Skenes Creek Road (off GOR)

Postby pageymx5 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 pm

just drove the cape otway ranges road from skenes creek yesterday, my first REAL uninterrupted twisty road drive and it was simply magnificent!!! lagged behind to get a clear run all the way, unlike the great ocean road which had too much traffic... still buzzing over that drive :D

pcmx5
Racing Driver

Re: Skenes Creek Road (off GOR)

Postby pcmx5 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Johnd, Chrish and I did this again yesterday. Had a leisurely run down the GOR Sunday afternoon, magnificent meal at La Bimba in Apollo Bay and stayed in a nice unit at Beacon point Cottages with unbelievable views back to AB.

On the road at 6.30 am. for a great blast to Wye River and then a sensational run to Port Campbell for breakfast, not held up once. Breaky over back up to Lavers Hill and through to Beech Forest and Turtons Track, again no hold ups. Returned to Apollo bay for fuel and a coffee and a fairly slow trip up the GOR to Lorne then inland to Deans Marsh getting right up to the top of the hill before catching some slower traffic. So we did the best bits of Skenes Creek road twice and it is just magnificent driving and scenery. Back in Geelong by 1 pm for lunch by the waterfront. Makes you realise how lucky we are to live where we live.

GOR getting pretty rough in places but even at the speed limit of 80klmph(or just a bit over!)there are challenges and rewards to be had sticking within the white lines and not cutting corners.
No doubt, moral of the story is to get onto these roads early.

Peter

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”