bucketts way...update

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

rockitman
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

bucketts way...update

Postby rockitman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Drove the Bucketts Way on the weekend (north of Sydney) from Karuah to Taree.
Now I can cross it off my bucket list.
Didn't turn out to have much in the way of twisties but was a pleasant tourist drive with the usual quaint villages, grazing animals and in this case some impressive mountain formations.
The road is generally too bumpy for comfort in places and has rough shoulders but improves as you pass Gloucester. Some sections are quite good due to ongoing but uncoordinated roadworks.
Gloucester , at the foot of Barrington Tops, is a pretty village and makes a good stop for a coffee break.
Allow a little over two hours for the drive assuming a quick coffee stop at Gloucester.

Bummer!
Was going to crash it but thought I may get caught by ared light camera.
View of foothills above Gloucester.
Stopped at Nabiac on way home . Took some photos.

URL=http://img44.imageshack.us/i/p9260016n.jpg/]Image[/URL]
URL=http://img15.imageshack.us/i/p9260025b.jpg/]Image[/URL]
URL=http://img12.imageshack.us/i/p9260019.jpg/]Image[/URL]
URL=http://img193.imageshack.us/i/p9260020.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Vale....Mike Leyland.
URL=http://img21.imageshack.us/i/p9260034z.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Rockitman

06 NC Galaxy Grey

rockitman
Fast Driver

bucketts way...update

Postby rockitman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 pm

couldn't fit these on original post.
URL=http://img24.imageshack.us/i/p9260015z.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Lots of dust in the air for drive home.
URL=http://img8.imageshack.us/i/p9260029.jpg/]Image[/URL]
O'Sullivan's Gap detour on Old Pacific Highway past Buladelah has some fun curves and bends.
RL=http://img34.imageshack.us/i/p9260032r.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Rockitman

06 NC Galaxy Grey

CoffeeBoss
suntory

bucketts way...update

Postby CoffeeBoss » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Nice write up!

Surprised you didn't photo your NC in front of 'Uluru' there, I mean we've got a tradition to uphold!

I've heard good things about Wooton Way, looks like fun! There's lots of driving out that way I have yet to do, which I'll hopefully rectify next year.

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

bucketts way...update

Postby slug_dub » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Woo I spy a Morgan, noice! :)

My Dad has one, maybe some day it will get rebuilt but I can't hold my breath, it's been in pieces longer than I've been alive :lol:

Great set of photos!
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

rockitman
Fast Driver

bucketts way...update

Postby rockitman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:49 pm

CoffeeBoss wrote:Nice write up!

Surprised you didn't photo your NC in front of 'Uluru' there, I mean we've got a tradition to uphold!

I've heard good things about Wooton Way, looks like fun! There's lots of driving out that way I have yet to do, which I'll hopefully rectify next year.

I had written a better write up but had some problems posting it so what finally appeared is a hurriedly prepared edited version.

I could kick myself for not getting a shot of the CULT HERO MX5 in front of Uluru. I'll get it next time I'm up that way for sure! Another "must do" photo is the Big Prawn at Ballina. I believe that after all these years it is going to be demolished. Like many others I"ve dríven past it but never stopped for a photo.

I'm keen on continuing my Bucketts Way trip from Gloucester along Thunderbolts Way (over the Great Dividing Range) to Armidale and then back to the coast via the Waterfall Way through Dorrigo and Bellingen. I'm sure it's popular with sports car owners.

Don't know much about the Morgan. It looked to be in pretty good shape.I believe it is a a 4/4 and that they were powered by various small fours over the years.

This Fiat looked pretty good too. Don't see many that are actually in one piece.
URL=http://img43.imageshack.us/i/p9260023.jpg/]Image[/URL]

And finally ....the stationary engine. Cool to see and hear it running but it could be more interesting if it was actually attached to something.

Rockitman

06 NC Galaxy Grey

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

bucketts way...update

Postby NMX516 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Thunderbolts way is where the fun is at :) Buckets way is a nice lead in, but Thunderbolts way is more the "drivers" road.
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Hammer
Speed Racer

bucketts way...update

Postby Hammer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:33 pm

NMX516 wrote:Thunderbolts way is where the fun is at :) Buckets way is a nice lead in, but Thunderbolts way is more the "drivers" road.

I was going to say the same thing. You were sooooo close to Thunderbolts Way. You should have taken that detour instead. Then it's twisties and curves for about 100+kms. Then turn right at Oxley Hwy (with more twist and curves) to take you back to the Pacific Hwy (again about 100+kms).

Some great lookouts too (with waterfalls) along Oxley Hwy 8)
H@mmer - 1994 Clubman | 2002 SP
GO TOPLESS!!!

rockitman
Fast Driver

bucketts way...update

Postby rockitman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Hammer wrote:You were sooooo close to Thunderbolts Way

I know!
I was on a day trip to Taree so decided to go the scenic way via Bucketts.
Thunderbolt's is still on my agenda.

Spoke to some friends from the car club recently who did Thunderbolt's before Christmas and they loved it.

P.S. The rock formations around Gloucester are known as "The Bucketts" hence the Bucketts Way.
Rockitman

06 NC Galaxy Grey

CoffeeBoss
suntory

bucketts way...update

Postby CoffeeBoss » Sun May 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Some shots we took along Bucketts a few weeks back. Surface quality is still quite poor in places, but my coilovers didn't seem to mind it too much. It has a nice flow to it, this road.

rockitman
Fast Driver

bucketts way...update

Postby rockitman » Sun May 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Excellent photos as usual Matt! :D
Rockitman

06 NC Galaxy Grey

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

bucketts way...update

Postby MX5-SP » Sun May 09, 2010 10:36 pm

rockitman wrote:....to Armidale and then back to the coast via the Waterfall Way through Dorrigo and Bellingen. I'm sure it's popular with sports car owners.

Yep did this road last week and I can attest to it's magnificence. (Refer to other Oxley Highway thread http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=27114)

Cheers.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

NMX516
Speed Racer

Re: bucketts way...update

Postby NMX516 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:14 pm

I was lucky enough to travel Buckets and Thunderbolt ways again today :D Road is still fairly choppy in parts, but there are a few signs on the side of the road indicating that they are upgrading in it in the near future, so hopefully that just means some decent resurfacing!

Still worth the drive though!!

Cruisin Newy
Fast Driver

Postby Cruisin Newy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:34 am

Hi all,

Yes the roads up that way is very chopped up at the moment as Hunter Chapter came back from Walcha to Gloucester (Thunderbolts Way ) on the 19th August with 16 MX5s. On the bucketts way we only when down as far as Stroud Road then off of the mountains to Gresford and that was great as well. We did spot a white NC heading north towards Walcha mid morning with ACT Number plates(I think). We also over the weekend did Nurbushring , back roads of Taree (Lansdowne) and the across from Wauchope to Walcha on the Oxley....on saturday 18th....Total trip just on 700 kms ....Report on the trip will be in next edition of Club Torque (NSW )
Mark

Now NC3 PRHT auto Krystal white

Cruisin Newy
Newcastle NSW

NMX516
Speed Racer

Postby NMX516 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Cruisin Newy wrote: We did spot a white NC heading north towards Walcha mid morning with ACT Number plates(I think).

That was me!! :D Yes, ACT plates, heading for Brisbane, but an NB, not NC :lol: Well at least I guess it was me, I was certainly heading north mid to late morning and saw two groups of MX5's heading south :)

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 am

Aw, go on Gerard... 'fess up (...you know you want to) and tell folks you were in the 'other' White SP taking it home to Queensland to be reunited with it's twin sister.

...what a fluke you should run past the NSW chaps and chapettes going the opposite way!
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”