Att: Hunter Valley Region MX5 Drivers, Advice for QLDer

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

gluc
Learner Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Att: Hunter Valley Region MX5 Drivers, Advice for QLDer

Postby gluc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip down to Newcastle from Brisbane to visit a few mates of mine that i have promised for years that i would visit. I will have about 4 days to fit it in. I know its trying to fit a lot in but i only have about 4 days It looks as though I will have an afternoon a night free to find some roads that dreams are made from. I will be visiting mates in Newcastle first then heading out to Singleton to visit my other mates, so i was planning on finding some dream roads in between the visits at Newcastle and Singleton. I have been scoping out some roads using google maps and looking at some of the posts in here i have found the following. If people can provide some input and feedback it would be greatly appreciated.
1. I have read on here about Bylong valley way, from the comments in a thread it seems really fun
2. I also read on here about Putty rd but it looks a tad too long for the time that i have.
3. Buckets way and thunderbolts way out at Gloucester. From google maps these look like fun and will be planning on driving these on the way back to brissie.
4. Using google maps i have found a route from Cessnock to Wollombi via Wollombi rd and from Wollombi to Broke via Paynes crossing rd. Can anyone comment on this potential drive

Also if anyone can reccommend some accomodation that is quite romantic (so i get some brownie points) out that way it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Gianni

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Att: Hunter Valley Region MX5 Drivers, Advice for QLDer

Postby NitroDann » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Wootton way, drive through wootton way, no 2 ways about it its the best road anywhere ive ever been.

its on the way through the detour takes like 5 mins extra.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am

gluc wrote:1. I have read on here about Bylong valley way, from the comments in a thread it seems really fun
I don't think I've dríven it personally, but I've heard that it's good. You may find that the surface isn't great though.
gluc wrote:2. I also read on here about Putty rd but it looks a tad too long for the time that i have.
By far the best part of Putty Rd is the top 15km or thereabouts. Easily accessible if you're out that way.
gluc wrote:3. Buckets way and thunderbolts way out at Gloucester. From google maps these look like fun and will be planning on driving these on the way back to brissie.
Very well known fun roads. Also consider the Oxley Highway.
gluc wrote:4. Using google maps i have found a route from Cessnock to Wollombi via Wollombi rd and from Wollombi to Broke via Paynes crossing rd. Can anyone comment on this potential drive
Yep, both popular roads for cars and bikes.

And yes, definitely give Wootton Way a go if you're in the area. :)

Hope this helps. Can't help you on the romantic accommodation though. :P

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Postby Guran » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm

With your time constraints, I suggest that your best option is to spend one full day exploring Putty Road, Sackville Ferry Rd, Wisemans Ferry Rd, then back to Singleton via Central Mangrove, Wollombi and Broke. Wootton Way is brilliant for a short excursion from Newcastle. Your drive home should be to Dungog then Bucketts Way & Thunderbolts Way to Armidale, and if you can squeeze it in, you will not regret the diversion to Grafton via Armidale Rd ("the Corkscrew"), then back to Tenterfield via Gwydir Hwy (& Bald Nob Rd to skip Glenn Innes).

As for romantic places to stay in the Hunter, I highly recommend Spicers Vineyard Estate and the Botanica Restaurant at Pokolbin. It ain't cheap but they offer some good package deals.
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

gluc
Learner Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Postby gluc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for all the information, it was greatly appreciated. I am hanging out for this trip, cant wait to get the car in its elements.

Cheers again
Gianni
Car: 1999 NB 10AE

"Things in life are better topless"

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”