Pula to Buol Sulawesi, Indonesia

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

MattR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Pula to Buol Sulawesi, Indonesia

Postby MattR » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:50 am

A cracker of a road, 480km of what could best be described as Nebo/Mt Glorious next to the sea. The GOR has nothing on this road, the Royal National Park pales in comparison. I have yet to drive a road that compares, and I have dríven quite a few roads having surveyed over 50,000km of roads for work and dríven plenty for pleasure.

A two day trip to do the length of the road, average speed is about 40-50km/h because of the traffic and the terrain.

I now have an appreciation of what if felt like for navigators in the Euro rallies of the 80's such as Portugal, where spectators were 6 deep. I was a little worried when my driver was belting along a 2 lane road at just under 100km/h through a village with scooters, bikes, dogs, goats, cattle, children, cars and trucks leaving only a car width to get through. But, being the professional he was, no incidents in travelling the road in both directions.

When i get some time back in Jakarta I will load up some pictures and video of the road.

If they ever got a Targa Sulawesi up and running drivers would come from around the world to drive it. The road is fantastic with terrain changes, from one minute being next to the beach and one turn later climbing up steep valleys into the rainforest and then back down to the beach again. The water is crystal clear and I sincerely hope this region is not developed for tourism.

It is hard to describe, but hopefully the video taken on my phone when uploaded will do it justice.

It is a pity that the infratructure is just not there to allow this road to be really enjoyed the way I would like to, but then again, maybe it is a good thing.....

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”