Kempsey to Walcha and Back Day Trip

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

5isalive
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Kempsey to Walcha and Back Day Trip

Postby 5isalive » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi everyone,
My wife and I decided to head up to Walcha for a day run via The Oxley Hwy on Sunday 31st August. We left home from Kempsey at around 10:30am, headed south along the Pacific Hwy to the roundabout at the 2nd Port Macquarie turn off, chucked a right turn toward Wauchope. After going through Wauchope, we had another 25kms to Long Flat. While doing some of the 54kms of twisties, we arrived at Ginger Creek where we stopped for a milkshake and a burger, before setting off for a look at the now fully flowing Apsley Falls.

After getting some nice shots of the falls, we headed west for the next 10kms to the little township of Walcha, where we refueled and then set off for home along the run back down through Yarowitch and on to the twisties again back down the Oxley. For anyone who hasn't done this run yet, I highly recommend it. Some of the best MX-5 driving territory I've experienced so far. I used to do this run occasionally on my Ducati 900 Darmah back in the 80's. As good as this road is on a bike, it's just as much fun in the little Mazda.

After getting to the roundabout at the Pacific Hwy again, we decided to go into Port Macquarie for dinner at the Hogsbreath Cafe, and chatted about the drive and looking at some of the shots we took of the day. We then headed back home to get comfy and to wait for the Moto GP to hit the screen. I'm very happy that we live so close to one of the best drivers roads in the country.

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”