Alexandra to Queenstown NZ

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

Keith
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Alexandra to Queenstown NZ

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:39 pm

This is not one of the greatest twisty roads, but its not too shabby either and cefinitely worth driving if you get the chance. About 100ks of winding roads up into the mountains, some great twisty sections but rather too many straight sections for my liking to qualify as a great twisty. For a comparison, I would say its loads more fun ( loads...I've been in NZ for 4 days and now I am talking like one, bro...) thun the Great Ocean Rd and defunitely hus sim challenging sehcins ( oops, lapsed into Kiwi again! Must have et Too many fush und chups ). It is way better than the Old Pacific Hwy or the Nahso from Waterfall to Stanwell Park...not as tight, but NOT limited to 60 or 80. The NZ 100 limit rocks!

At the moment there is grit on the road( tiny sharp granite or similar grit spread on the road because of the ice and snow) , and this definitely makes for some brilliant fun . The gritted areas are well signposted, so you wont barrell into a corner at 9/10ths and go sideways...how can I describe it...its a loose surface you can slide on but you still keep good traction as the angular edges of the grit bite into your tyre and the bitumen...The speed limit of 100kph is conservative for this road, but as against that there is little midweek traffic, no speed cameras and the only cop I saw ia 290 ks between Palmeston and Queenstown was in the small town of Cromwell and visible 300 metres away....with several orange marker cones around his car!!!! I definitely think Aussie cops should adopt the marker cone strategy....it would go a long way towards reducing speeding convictions!!!! Cromwell by the way has its own circuit and motorsport museum....outside which the cop was ostentatiously perched!
O6 Marble white NC ;91 Malibu Gold NA 1800 BP4W;1990 BRG LE hardtop, unmolested, original; 1993 Brilliant Black hardtop, unmolested, restored.

Apu
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Alexandra to Queenstown NZ

Postby Apu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Either way, NZ roads are just THAT much better! I drove from Queenstown all the way to Auckland...well, not all the way - short flight in between, but LOVED the drive.

Scenery is breathtaking, roads are not filled with potholes, etc etc...and all that in a Mazda Bongo 9-seater. Have to say, a couple of passengers were a bit concerned with the heel-toe and throttle blipping...

Keith
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Alexandra to Queenstown NZ

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Its definitely worth hiring an MX5! It was a bit more expensive( but not much!) than hiring a front wheel drive shxtbox, ...and instead of hitting every twisty thinking " I wish I was in an mx5"... well...you ARE! Just go for the apex and nail every corner... I am definitely going again, next time for 2 weeks when I can do the west coast and alpine roads without needing chains etc...this is so addictive! And its true, you are not dodging potholes and roadkill, the surfaces are overall pretty good. Maybe not better than sex, but better than lots of other things I can think of!
O6 Marble white NC ;91 Malibu Gold NA 1800 BP4W;1990 BRG LE hardtop, unmolested, original; 1993 Brilliant Black hardtop, unmolested, restored.

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”