Alexandria to Dunedin

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

Keith
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Alexandria to Dunedin

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:23 pm

The first 100 ks of this road are what MX5s were built for. Well surfaced winding roads through undulating mountains, steep passes, twisting winding sections that last for 20 or so kilometers each, and joined by wide open fast straits that are remote,deserted, and unpatrolled. At one point there is a winding uphill section of about 3 ks that could be a public road hillclimb if it wasnt a national highway...The kiwis do it so well!!!... I got up, turned around, went down and went up again! Overall, it is about a 290 k run from Queenstown to Dunedin, but the centre section from ALEXANDRA to Milton makes the trip worth doing even though from Milton it is just mindless straight roads. Next time I will detour through Gore instead...but this was my first time and I am just exploring.
I couldnt do the Wanaka Rd because of snow and ice, but I believe that is even better. Next time......
O6 Marble white NC ;91 Malibu Gold NA 1800 BP4W;1990 BRG LE hardtop, unmolested, original; 1993 Brilliant Black hardtop, unmolested, restored.

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”