GPS

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

marcusus
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby marcusus » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:51 pm

Bought a Mio C310 for Mum's birthday yesterday, and used it today to go down the coast and back. Quite good, although there are some slight interface issues that could've been done better. However, I'm a bit biased like that since I program GUIs as part of my job :P

It's relatively basic in that the only (default) functionality it comes with is the GPS and an mp3 player (with an expandable SD memory slot), but it does the job well enough. Directions are clear, and there's lots of little bonus functions to do with GPS like calculating the route based on fastest/shortest distance/economy, and being able to add locations of speed and red light cameras not currently listed. Automatic direction recalculation as well.

The only thing I really wanted (and Mum asked about) was an in built FM transmitter so you could broadcast your mp3s and directions over the car stereo, but you can always buy an external kit, although you'll probably use the ciggy lighter for that rather than the GPS if I get one.

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:36 pm

FWIW I'm running the TomTom software on my GPS enabled Asus A639 PDA and am very happy with it. Need to get some software that handles offroad though as TomTom gets a bit upset.

Old EmmGee
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Old EmmGee » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:01 am

I have been looking at a number of units, and used a few as well.

I do not like the PDA-based solutions (or mobile phones) that run software under Windows CE (usually i-GO) as I get fed up with the windows 'artefacts' (variable time response to button presses; long start-up times; extras that aren't needed; a need to discover where the Reset button is).

I used to be a fan of Navman, but find it difficult these days to keep up with whatever model is current this week (although my old favourite was the iCN520).

The Roadangel was a complete dog, but I think the more recent models have improved significantly.

I cannot go past the TomTom - the One and new One XL are fantastic in that they're easy to use and appear relaible. Fast, clear and one of the simplest user interfaces around - and well priced.

I use a Garmin eTrex for bushwalking and so on, and love it, but hate the Garmin navigatr systems as being way too complex (user interface is bloody impossible with an enyclopedic knowledge required to navigate the levels of sub-menus).

Go with the majority - TomTom make excellent products and you can easily get maps for anywhere in the world you care to explore.
MX5-less; need another!

Dave
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:17 am

Not much experience with these things, however my younger son has just bought the Nokia 6110 Navigator - and I can't get over how good it is. Instructions are timely and easy to understand, it re-calculates very quickly, and even when driving up to Bigdogs place where it stated it's maps weren't 100% (it mentioned something like \"there be dragons there... arrrrrr\" :wink: ), it still got it right.
It literally tells me as I pull into my driveway that I have reached my destination. Can't beat that, given it does all the \"usual\" 2G/ 3G/ phone/ camera/ video/ MP3/ Mpeg4 functions as well!
Now if I can just get it to use the Ozzy Osbourne voice-over... :lol:

Sean
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Sean » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:26 am

Dave wrote:Not much experience with these things, however my younger son has just bought the Nokia 6110 Navigator - and I can't get over how good it is. Instructions are timely and easy to understand, it re-calculates very quickly, and even when driving up to Bigdogs place where it stated it's maps weren't 100% (it mentioned something like "there be dragons there... arrrrrr" :wink: ), it still got it right.
It literally tells me as I pull into my driveway that I have reached my destination. Can't beat that, given it does all the "usual" 2G/ 3G/ phone/ camera/ video/ MP3/ Mpeg4 functions as well!
Now if I can just get it to use the Ozzy Osbourne voice-over... :lol:

Haha, I now have the ozzie voice on my tomtom, be sure you select wisely, there are actually 2 variants, one with swearing and one sans...
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”