Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

miatas76
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

AUDIO SETUP - Component or COAXIAL?

Postby miatas76 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:41 am

Hi guys,

In a NA6, is a component system (with tweeters) in the doors a better sounding option that the Coaxial set up?

I’m only looking at the Clearwater headrest speakers and door speakers set-up but unsure whether to go the component or coaxial route….

Thoughts and help?? My original Panasonic stereo is coughing and spluttering now.......
'92 NA6 Hardtop with demister... no air or P/S, Chaparral 15's, YSR
'14 Merc A250 Sport
I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm a Melburnian in Brisbane

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: AUDIO SETUP - Component or COAXIAL?

Postby smy0003 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:50 am

I went with coaxial Pioneer speakers. Mostly they just sound like an RSR exhaust and straight 2.5' aluminium intake tube.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how much difference you'll notice between the two set-ups in an MX-5. I've always liked the idea of using headrest speakers though, I mean, there's room for them, they were just never installed.

*shameless plug*

I've got a JVC bluetooth headunit for sale if you're looking for such a thing.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: AUDIO SETUP - Component or COAXIAL?

Postby Jeo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Well setup components will always sound better than coaxials. Whether you set them up well/be bothered to is the question you actually need to ask. Equal distance from tweeter and woofer to your head is roughly what you want, so door trim is ok, but corner of windscreen is normally the best you'll get.

I tried a few different sets of headrest speakers in my NA, including some rather expensive ones. Ended up choosing none. Headrest speakers are just too bright. They either overpower everything else, or you have them turned down enough that they basically don't exist.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”