NC blowing 15A engine fuse, won't start.

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Jalb_k
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

NC blowing 15A engine fuse, won't start.

Postby Jalb_k » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Hoping some of the gurus here will have some insight.

Out for a drive yesterday, parked and left on for A/C and the other half's comfort as I ran in to a shop. Came back and reversed out, put into drive and she just died. Tried to restart and nothing cranking. All panel lights come on but the security light flashes rapid for 1 minute then goes to a slow 2 flash then 5 a second pattern. Checked all the fuses and found the 15A Engine fuse blown, had no spares with me so used the headlight fuse, which blew as soon as I tried to crank her. RACQ to the rescue and towed back home.

Requisite googling done. Have checked the 02 sensor cables and both still where I put them, wrapped in heat shield and no cuts or abrasions. I have found
this
and I have a multimeter but, having said that, all the gear and no idea ;)

How should I go about isolating this?

Any and all help appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: NC blowing 15A engine fuse, won't start.

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:11 pm

If you don't know what you are doing which applies to most of us you might just be better off getting it looked at by an auto elec- some of these guys do home calls. Its your time so it's also your choice.

Jalb_k
Learner Driver

Postby Jalb_k » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:If you don't know what you are doing which applies to most of us you might just be better off getting it looked at by an auto elec- some of these guys do home calls. Its your time so it's also your choice.

Already called an auto electrician, was just hoping I could do some of the grunt work and give him an idea and save me a little cash.

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Try unplugging everything that uses this fuse, then gradually plug each item back in one by one until the fuse blows again under the same circumstances. The last item plugged in before the fuse blows is the likely culprit.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

NotableGuest
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby NotableGuest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:15 am

Out here in the states I'd say just jam a penny in there. ..

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Jalb_k
Learner Driver

Postby Jalb_k » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:58 pm

StillIC wrote:Try unplugging everything that uses this fuse, then gradually plug each item back in one by one until the fuse blows again under the same circumstances. The last item plugged in before the fuse blows is the likely culprit.

Thanks StillIC, common sense approach but I couldn't see the forest for looking at the trees :? finally isolated it to actually being the rear O2 sensor just as the sparky turned up. He took it out and opened up the casing and found a dodgy join (my dodgy work from some years ago when the exhaust was installed) but he resoldered and taped and good to go and he reckons I saved myself around $100 because I was able to point out the issue and he didn't have to do all the trouble shooting (we're not all cashed up Mr Morlock :wink:)

Sailor
Racing Driver

Postby Sailor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Do you have aftermarket headers?
This fuse blows when the extension wire to the O2 sensor contacts the exhaust and melts causing a short
Rob

05 NCLE, Cosworth SC,PF01,Ohlins,Selby,GWR exh
"We're only given a tiny spark of madness.We mustn't lose it"(Robin Williams)

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”