Ls2 coil wiring nb8b

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

dzammit85
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Ls2 coil wiring nb8b

Postby dzammit85 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi, so I managed to pick up some ls2 coils used for pretty cheap, just wondering about the wiring on a nb8b, do I just cut the 6 wires (3 from each coil) join the 2 black together, join the 2 black and white together, leaving the black and yellow and brown and white for the triggers, and then just join all of that up to the corresponding wires from the ls2 plugs.

Also Is there a plug on the nb where ground and 12volt meet, or do I just make my own plug

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Ls2 coil wiring nb8b

Postby Lokiel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:50 pm

This is the definitive LSx coil thread for MX5s, started by our own timk: https://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo-discussion-14/lsx-coil-thread-82744/, you SHOULD be able to find all the information you need there.

Post#50 was written by a "fairly cluey guy" for MSM/SE wriring which should be what you need for a wasted spark set-up (just don't read the last part of post#82 or post#139, his intelligence comes into question there).

I assume you have an aftermarket ECU to control dwell times (you can find them for the MS in the above thread).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

dzammit85
Fast Driver

Postby dzammit85 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm

Great thanks so much, I’ll have a read of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am

If you need or want a PnP loom that connects to the oem coil connectors and adapts to the LS coil packs, I can help you with that.
Shoot me a PM if interested.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

dzammit85
Fast Driver

Postby dzammit85 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks beavis, I actually bought the connectors for it last night after reading through most of that stuff, just going to make them the same way as lokiel so they will be plug and play also and won’t have to hack up my stock loom

dzammit85
Fast Driver

Postby dzammit85 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Lokiel wrote:This is the definitive LSx coil thread for MX5s, started by our own timk: https://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo-discussion-14/lsx-coil-thread-82744/, you SHOULD be able to find all the information you need there.

Post#50 was written by a "fairly cluey guy" for MSM/SE wriring which should be what you need for a wasted spark set-up (just don't read the last part of post#82 or post#139, his intelligence comes into question there).

I assume you have an aftermarket ECU to control dwell times (you can find them for the MS in the above thread).

I went through and read most of that stuff, it’s great there is so much info in there. I was just wondering about the capacitor though, i have never in my life even had one in my hand, but the other day I went and bought 2, 4700 25v one for the looms I made, I read that they do have polarity and that the side with the arrows pointing down is negative, so does the negative get connected to signal ground, and the positive to the signal

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Stolen off the internetz:
"To determine polarity in CAPACITORS: Electrolytic capacitors are often marked with a stripe. That stripe indicates the NEGATIVE lead. If it's an axial leaded capacitor (leads come out of opposite ends of the capacitor), the stripe may be accompanied by an arrow that points to the negative lead."

aidandj on MT.net didn't use capacitors on his loom and he knows his sh*t (see his build thread, I think I even asked the question there).
I don't believe savington (Andrew fro TSE) uses them either.

I used them on my 12V switched inputs (+ve to 12V and -ve to GND, which wasa bolt at the rear of the engine block) but not the 5V Signal sequencers.

If I re-make mine, I wouldn't bother to add them, they don't seem to be necessary and just make the harness harder to make).

beavis, can you chip in your $0.02 on this?

dzammit85
Fast Driver

Postby dzammit85 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Lokiel wrote:Stolen off the internetz:
"To determine polarity in CAPACITORS: Electrolytic capacitors are often marked with a stripe. That stripe indicates the NEGATIVE lead. If it's an axial leaded capacitor (leads come out of opposite ends of the capacitor), the stripe may be accompanied by an arrow that points to the negative lead."

Yeah that’s what I got when I googled them too.
Ok thanks I’m gonna get rid of them then.

bartmanftw
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby bartmanftw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm

I can add my $0.02c (I make the wiring harness for Beavis' LS coil kit). Capacitors are not required at all. There's actually already a capacitor in the OEM harness for the coils if you know what you're looking at.

Can be seen here in the NA6 harness. It's located up near the fuse box on all years apart from nb8b where it is located on the rear of the cylinder head

The black wire is the ground and the blue is the 12V for the coils.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 pm

Thanks for the confirmation and references bartmanftw, it's reassuring to see evidence vs conjecture.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:13 am

Lokiel wrote:beavis, can you chip in your $0.02 on this?

bartman said it better than I ever could've :)
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

dzammit85
Fast Driver

Postby dzammit85 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks so much for every ones help, it’s good to know that they are not needed

IanR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Postby IanR » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:42 pm

This post is a an example of car forum info nirvana. Good job!

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”