Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

drckarcher
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

How to remove MK 2.5 head unit

Postby drckarcher » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 am

Hi,
I’m struggling to remove the head unit in my MX5.
I’ve got the right tools and I can release the left-hand side but the right hand side just doesn’t ‘click’.
Is there any other way to access the head unit, for example by removing parts of the lower dashboard?

Any other advice would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: How to remove MK 2.5 head unit

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Assuming it's similar to the NB8A the two vertical trim pieces from the side of the head unit should pry off revealing two small holes that a radio removal tool can be inserted into to release the clips holding it.

As far as access, you can remove the glovebox and reach the rear of the unit by shoving your arm in there. It's tight, and you probably wont get any tools in there, but you can at least give it a shove from behind to help it pop out the front.

I also tend to remove the fascia (the silver bit on your car) as it gives a little more room (plus means you dont need to worry about scratching it)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Been a long time since I removed mine but I thought the center console had to come out to allow access to the two radio panel surround screws, then unclip the whole surround out, that displays several holes down each side into which I used a screw driver or something to release the clips each side retaining the head unit. As mentioned, if the glove box is also removed, it allows some pressure from behind to push the unit out.

I also seem to recall the radio cable is quite short and sort of "held" against the radio until it popped out.

But as I say, been a long time ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

drckarcher
Driver

Postby drckarcher » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Despite the right tools, it was a struggle with an hour of sweating and swearing to get the head unit out.

The problem was that the tools always slipped under the spring plate (ie between the spring plate and the radio)

I had to remove the fascia around the head unit as well as the glovebox.

In order to remove the fascia, the middle console has to come out first, then the two screws at the bottom of the fascia removed. Finally, the fascia is pulled off (held by a clip on either side and two on top) when you pull it it feels as if it was about to crack...

The cigarette lighter cable has to be pulled off too of course.

Access to the head unit from the left hand side is easy since you can reach the outside of the unit with your hand and guide the tools. The right hand side was still a pain. One can push the spring plate a bit inwards through one of the rectangular holes the fascia clips in, which helps with engaging the tools.

Prying our the plastic plate between the radio buttons helped too as it allows for a better grip of the unit.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:00 am

I found I had the same issue with the tool going under the clips instead of over.

Although, I was using a bent coathanger, rather than the proper tool, so assumed that was the cause.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

drckarcher
Driver

Postby drckarcher » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:26 pm

hks_kansei wrote:I found I had the same issue with the tool going under the clips instead of over.

Although, I was using a bent coathanger, rather than the proper tool, so assumed that was the cause.

This helped me finally: When you bend the tips of the tools slightly pointing outwards, they slide over the hook plate as they should.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”