Unknown Connector in Engine Bay

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Petrol Spit
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Unknown Connector in Engine Bay

Postby Petrol Spit » Mon May 06, 2024 7:48 pm

So I have been slowly doing a rebuild of my 89' NA. I have come across many oddities during my adventure, including but not limited to, a loose piece of 2x4 propping up my stereo, the 02 sensor wire trapped between the transmission and engine block (severed for who knows how long) and this unknown white connector in the engine bay with a bridging wire. I have consulted wiring diagrams to no avail, as I suspect most I have viewed are North American etc. and not much help.

It is located in the back of the engine bay on the port side (near the wiper motor and relays). I'd upload a picture but it doesn't seem to be allowing me to upload onto the forum atm. The car has no P/S, A/C, cruise control etc. Only has the worlds slowest power windows, winning. It shares a common branch out of the harness with another unused, white four wire connector.

Without having gone so far as pinning out on the connector at the ECU and determining if the wire comes from there etc. I haven't been able to work out what the 4 wire connector is for and why there is a wire bridged across two terminals. Has anyone got any ideas? The colours of the wires coming out of the connector are White/Blue, Red/White, Black/Yellow and Solid White. (Main Colour/Stripe). The White/Blue and Red/White are bridged.

Thanks in advance.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Unknown Connector in Engine Bay

Postby greenMachine » Mon May 06, 2024 11:05 pm

A photo might help ...

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Petrol Spit
Driver

Postby Petrol Spit » Tue May 07, 2024 5:35 am

greenMachine wrote:A photo might help ... :mrgreen:

I'm getting an error saying "board attachment quota reached". I can't actually share an image? Size is only about 600kb?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue May 07, 2024 11:50 am

Petrol Spit wrote:this unknown white connector in the engine bay with a bridging wire.
It is located in the back of the engine bay on the port side (near the wiper motor and relays).
The car has no P/S, A/C, cruise control etc.
It shares a common branch out of the harness with another unused, white four wire connector.
I haven't been able to work out what the 4 wire connector is for and why there is a wire bridged across two terminals.
The colours of the wires coming out of the connector are White/Blue, Red/White, Black/Yellow and Solid White. (Main Colour/Stripe). The White/Blue and Red/White are bridged.

Out of curiosity is it an ADM or JDM 1989 NA6? 1989 ADM VIN starts with JM0NA30610010xxxx & JDM VIN starts with 6U9000NA6CE10xxxx.
My 1993 NA8 (no AC or PS) has the same white connector. Coming out of the main loom (which runs under the black plastic relay cover) is a thin branch (near the large grey rubber grommet in the firewall that the main loom goes through), which splits into two, one 4 wire sub-branch going to the white connector, & the other 2 wire sub-branch going to the washer bottle motor. NFI on the purpose of the white connector, other than bridging.

Petrol Spit
Driver

Postby Petrol Spit » Tue May 07, 2024 12:15 pm

Mine's an ADM. Pictures still not working sorry.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue May 07, 2024 2:18 pm

A white connector on the LHS. I think it might be for fog lights.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed May 08, 2024 10:49 am

While OP has referred to it as a white connector, as have I, strictly speaking on mine at least it's not actually a connector as the end appears blanked off. That said, perhaps it could easily be adapted to take fog lights - it's pside (on a RHD) virtually under the wiper motor just in front of the firewall.

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Craig » Thu May 09, 2024 6:41 pm

Petrol Spit wrote:I'm getting an error saying "board attachment quota reached". I can't actually share an image? Size is only about 600kb?

There's a limit on the total of uploaded images, you're at that limt, so need to delete a few from previous posts ok.
*** Audi A5 Sportback - back in black! ***

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Craig » Thu May 09, 2024 6:48 pm

Craig wrote:There's a limit on the total of uploaded images, you're at that limt, so need to delete a few from previous posts ok.

Click on your user name (top right next to Private Messages) and select "User Control Panel" the "Manage Attachments" then select what you are ok to delete and the delete them.

:NA6:
*** Audi A5 Sportback - back in black! ***

Petrol Spit
Driver

Postby Petrol Spit » Thu May 09, 2024 7:35 pm

Thanks for the help, but I just checked my attachments as you described and there was only one picture. Which I deleted and so have no attachments on my profile, but still recieved the same error when I tried to post the picture. I can't win lol

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri May 10, 2024 10:28 am

Attachments don't work, the forum can't afford the storage. You need to upload it to a picture host (I use Imgur), then link it in using the IMG tags (see the IMG button in the tool bar above the text box)

Example, I upload my photo to Imgur, the link is https://imgur.com/5vhVCBR.jpg

I press the "Img" button in here, and the Img tags appears in the text box: (img)(/img)
*note I'm using "( )" brackets instead of "[ ]" so you can see them

Then I copy my link between the two tags: (img)https://imgur.com/5vhVCBR.jpg(/img)

And everyone sees:

Petrol Spit
Driver

Postby Petrol Spit » Sat May 11, 2024 10:53 am

Thanks so much for that. it was pain to get the links working from Imgur, but got there in the end.

So Exhibit A, B and C:

And yes, car's a mess. But it's just a work in progress, I promise.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Sat May 11, 2024 12:51 pm

Can you also try upload as an attachment this time and i'll see if it is fixed.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Petrol Spit
Driver

Postby Petrol Spit » Sat May 11, 2024 12:58 pm

Okibi wrote:Can you also try upload as an attachment this time and i'll see if it is fixed.

Just tested with the preview function and that is now working. From here on should I stick to using Imgur or are attachments okay?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat May 11, 2024 1:41 pm

Petrol Spit wrote:So Exhibit A, B and C

My NA8 doesn't have those two connectors - maybe as Bruce suggested, but they don't look OEM.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”