Adaptronic owners thread

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Adaptronic owners thread

Postby smy0003 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:49 am

Hi everyone, I've gotten my hands on a Universal Select and am trying to set up as much as possible whilst I build an intake which holds an AIT sensor, IAC barb and so on.
A couple of questions.

I've loaded in V14 firmware and the base map for the NA8. I've also selected 'BP RWD NA MX5' under the triggering engine options. My question is, what parameters exactly does the basemap overwrite, besides obviously fuel and ignition? Are all my digital inputs, aux outs, IAC settings and all the other million parameters now in order (roughly), considering this is going on a stock engine?

I don't, of course, expect it to be perfect right out of the box, but while I do have another car to go to work, I need the MX5 to move under it's own power to get the other car in and out of the driveway while I set this all up.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:47 am

The AdapTrackIt App is now available from the Android Play Store.

There are now two versions available:
1. AdapTrackIt (A$5)
2. AdapTrackIt Demo (Free)

The two versions are the same except that when the Demo version is connected to the Adaptronic ECU, after each minute, the gauge (and Log) update period is increased by 5 seconds. This is the free version you should start with to determine if it meets your needs.

I spent quite a lot of time developing the App so don't feel that A$5 is too much to ask.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:58 am

Awesome.
Make it megasquirtable and you will have my $5
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Tried the demo and now bought. Can confirm it works perfectly on the lg g4's 1440x2560 screen.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:07 am

smy0003 wrote:Tried the demo and now bought. Can confirm it works perfectly on the lg g4's 1440x2560 screen.
:

Thanks for that, I don't have a screen that size to validate the App on so I appreciate the confirmation.

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi guys, trying to set base timing in my MX5 using a 440 universal.
Car is 10deg out and I'm trying to bring it back, but the 'offset trigger angles' arrows don't do anything.
Any ideas what's going on?

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:03 am

smy0003 wrote:Hi guys, trying to set base timing in my MX5 using a 440 universal.
Car is 10deg out and I'm trying to bring it back, but the 'offset trigger angles' arrows don't do anything.
Any ideas what's going on?

Alright, I solved this so I'll post here in case anyone else experiences it. Seems to be a common mistake for people using the universal 440 and choosing their engine under the trigger options menu.

If you swap from your pre-selected engine to back to Custom in the trigger options menu, the settings should remain as they were for the pre-selected engine. The giveaway for me was the MX5 specific options and the 79,10 trigger angles:

What you'll end up with is the this screen you had before, when you had your engine option selected, but all the trigger, injector and ignition fields will be blank, leaving only the trigger angles and summary:

Car started right up and offset angle was able to be adjusted.

However, it didn't give me an offset number, it just changed the trigger angles at the bottom of the second picture. Now it's trigger angles are at 90, 21 since I was 11 degrees out. A bit weird, but the result is 10 degrees of advance when locked to 10deg BTDC.

The instructions don't mention this, so I hope it helps someone.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Posted elsewhere, but figured this thread may be better.

A mate is selling a universal Adaptronic e440 for cheap, basically he bought it for his Z32 racecar, but never installed it (and never finished the car)

Anyway, would this work on an NB8A?

Only thing I know off the top of my head that could be an issue would be that the 440 universal doesn't have alternator voltage control, but I figure that it's easy enough to throw an NA8 alternator on my car, or even just wire in an external voltage reg (Bosch RE55?).

So yeah, other than that, are there any real headaches I'll likely find?
Or should it be as simple as do the alternator, wire in ecu, throw on the mx5 base tune and then tune from there?

(Future mod plans are for just an N/A engine, cams at first, and then when the engine craps itself bore it out while it's apart)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Why don't you use it as a piggyback rather than stand alone, then you can have the factory ecu control the alternator, and not have to change the alt?

This is how my adaptronic is setup in my NB8A.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:15 pm

That's certainly an option too.

Really depends on whether the late 440 (the small casing one) can do that, and whatever is easier.

I just assumed that an alternator swap, or just putting a voltage reg in, would be the simpler method.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 pm

So as an update, adaptronic said it would work but would be likely to cause headaches etc.

However, they be given me the option to either send it to them and they'll re-pin it to be direct plugin for my car, or for a little more they'll happily let me trade it for a brand new plugin ecu. (Not sure if old 440 select stock, or a new modular)

Waiting on my mate to tell me the price he wants for the universal, and that will decide.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am

t]
Lokiel wrote:The AdapTrackIt App is now available from the Android Play Store.

1. AdapTrackIt (A$5)

The two versions are the same except that when the Demo version is connected to the Adaptronic ECU, after each minute, the gauge (and Log) update period is increased by 5 seconds. This is the free version you should start with to determine if it meets your needs.

I spent quite a lot of time developing the App so don't feel that A$5 is too much to ask.

Hey Lokiel, I've been playing with the demo while waiting for my ecu to arrive in the post.

Is there an option to not have every gauge?

Currently it's got the rpm sweep, speed, and then the 6 additional gauges.
With all that going on at once the screen is pretty crowded. (Esp near the top where stuff overlaps so you can't really see the rpm clearly)

Is there an option I'm missing that lets you choose to have some of the 6 extra bits not show at all?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:49 am

hks_kansei wrote:t]
Lokiel wrote:The AdapTrackIt App is now available from the Android Play Store.

1. AdapTrackIt (A$5)

Hey Lokiel, I've been playing with the demo while waiting for my ecu to arrive in the post.

Is there an option to not have every gauge?

Currently it's got the rpm sweep, speed, and then the 6 additional gauges.
With all that going on at once the screen is pretty crowded. (Esp near the top where stuff overlaps so you can't really see the rpm clearly)

Is there an option I'm missing that lets you choose to have some of the 6 extra bits not show at all?

LOL, that's the LOWEST resolution I've ever seen it running on, the smallest I ASSUMED and tried was 800x600 (in portrait mode, the picture you posted is 281x500). I had to make some assumptions with regard to icon and font sizes - I could make them smaller though.

What is the resolution of your screen?

I've always run the App in Landscape mode (ie. turn your Android device 90*) when driving which gives more room to the top part of the screen since the 6 lower gauges are displayed in 3 rows of 2 columns in Landscape mode - this is how you really want to use it too.
For configuration of gauges and colours, it's easier to use Portrait mode since you see more on each page so need to scroll less.

There are currently no provisions to change the number of sub-gauges from 6.
I would have liked to include MORE gauges if they were readable at a glance without the display looking too cluttered and settled on 6.

I still need to update the App when I have time to make it look like the MSTrackIt App which looks a tad sexier.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:10 pm

just googled my phone specs, resolution apparently 480x854

Yeah, portrait works better, for less cramped-Ness.

Was more that I was hoping there was the option to remove some stuff that is either doubled up, or no use in my case (boost for example lol)

Other than that t looks to be a great app.

Actually, while I've got you, if its easy next update, maybe let the Batt voltage scale go over 14, since with the car running etc the alt will be putting 14.2 to the battery, so the scale allowed doesn't really let you see if it's overcharging. (Yeah the number does, but would be nice to have a fat red scale if the alt reg dies, rather than look and hope to notice it says 15 rather than 14)

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Already covered:

Settings->GaugePreferences->Gauge2->Maximum: Enter You new maximum

You can set you High Threshold here too.

Note also that you can change what the minor gauges actually display.

Eg. Gauge 3 is set to Boost by default but if you want to change it to something else:

Settings->GaugePreferences->Gauge3-> Tap the "Boost Level" Label, then scroll through the list of gauges available, set their min and max values and their Low and High thresholds.

LOTS of configuration options.

If you have Wideband O2, oil pressure and temperature sensors, you'll want to replace the defaults to display these instead (I used TPS as a default because it's guaranteed to be available from the ECU, it's not an "extra" option.

The User's Guide covers most of this (see http://lokiel.weebly.com/android-adaptrackit-app.html) but you can figure it out pretty quickly by playing around with the settings.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”