Megasquirt owners thread

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Megasquirt owners thread

Postby Red_Bullet » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:00 am

bruce wrote:He said FEE not FREE. I'm sure someone would do it, but cost a lot due to the hours taken.

Yes Bruce I did read it correctly.

bartmanftw
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby bartmanftw » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:35 pm

I've added some info on using the loop feature of MS3. I'm using this on my car to control how the two radiator fans are turned on.

I think it would be nicer if we could just add extra conditions in the standard menu but this may have been easier way for the developers to add extra logic for the programmable outputs to the source code..

https://bartuneengineering.wordpress.co ... irt-loops/

Ever wanted to turn on an output based on more than the two conditions allowed using the programmable on/off outputs?

First off this unfortunately is only applicable to Megasquirt 3 based controllers.

The loop outputs are located in the 'Programmable On/Off Outputs 2' menu. In this example I'll go through an example them to turn on two radiator fans.

Firstly  the conditions for each fan to turn on need to be determined.

Thermofan 1 requires engine coolant temperature to be above 97degC or PWM_DutyA to be greater than 20% while the engine is running or the intake air temperature to be above 40degC while the engine is running to turn the fan on.
Thermofan 2 requires the engine coolant temperature to be above 105degC or manifold pressure to be above 110kPa or intake air temperature to be above 35degC while the engine is running to turn on.

Next these conditions need to be added to different loops.

When using the loops both the threshold and hysteresis should be set to the loop number. Each loop state is stored into a single 8-bit variable so the value to use for each loop is as follows:

Loop 1: 2^0 = 1
Loop 2: 2^1 = 2
Loop 3: 2^2 = 4
Loop 4: 2^3 = 8
Loop 5: 2^4 = 16
Loop 6: 2^5 = 32
Loop 7: 2^6 = 64
Loop 8: 2^7 = 128

So if you wanted to turn on the output when loop 6 is active the threshold and hysteresis should be set to 32. It is also possible to turn on the output based on two or more of the loops by adding the values together. For example if you wanted to turn on an ouput when both loop2 and loop 4 are true, then the threshold and hysteresis should be set to 2+8=10. If you wanted to turn on an output when loop4 is true and loop5 is false then the threshold is set to 8+16=24 and hysteresis set to 8.

The physical output port 1 runs off Loop1 however the loop ends at Loop2 due to the AND condition so Loop4 would never run. An OR condition needs to be added to the output to run loop 4.

Final settings in Tunerstudio shown below.

DanZig
Fast Driver

Postby DanZig » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:34 am

Hey guys, after any suggestions and seeing if anyone's had this issues with a diypnp.

Plugged laptop into and couldn't get a connection so tried my other one and when i plugged in the laptop switched off. Since then the ms wont power up (no fuel pump) or connect at all. Tried a power adapter and confirmed with multimeter its got power but nothing.

Now the serial adapter appears dead as not showing in device manager. Bought a new one which is working but still won't connect to ms. Tried to reload firmware but also no connection and now im not really sure what to do other than find an elec guru or buy a new ecu.

Any suggestions?

ZIPPA
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby ZIPPA » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi all

New to Forum and need some help with a MS2PNP fitted to my 98 NB 1.8ltr.

I have fitted and loaded a base map; mm9900_miata_331a

The car starts and runs but the battery light is on and no charge is getting to the battery.

I sent it back to DIYAUTOTUNE to see if the inbuilt voltage regulator was not working but they checked it and say it is ok.

The car is stock with no mads as yet, will be going forced induction but this is holding me up at the moment.

Any ideas? Am i using the wrong base map?

Any suggestions would be good as it driving me nutz :roll:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:34 pm

That's an odd one. Have you confirmed when you put the OEM ECU back that the alternator is working correctly and the battery is charging? If we can first determine it's an issue related directly to the ECU it's a start.

ZIPPA
Learner Driver

Postby ZIPPA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:49 pm

Yes working fine when I swop back over to the Factory ECU.

I think I`m going to change the Alternator got a feeling that it might be not generating enough current to kick in the mega squirt.

noobee
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby noobee » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:54 pm

is there a jumper on the mainboard to turn the internal regulator on/off?
Mick

PaulF
Racing Driver

Postby PaulF » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:22 pm

I found a MT thread from 2015 with NitroDann having exactly the problem you describe. https://www.miataturbo.net/mspnp-55/ms2pnp-nb1-alternator-control-not-working-what-have-i-done-wrong-84350/

He's also a member on here and might be able to let you know what the issue turned out to be, in his case.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:54 pm

mmm yea that would be cool. I have 2 NB alternators.....this would save me having to source a NA8 alternator for when the API damper goes on.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

ZIPPA
Learner Driver

Postby ZIPPA » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Problem solved when I fitted a New Alternator.

The old one must have been just been doing enough for the OEM ECU but not enough for the megasquirt.

Just wanted to post this in case someone has the same issues.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks for the update.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”