Megasquirt owners thread

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

sabretooth
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Megasquirt owners thread

Postby sabretooth » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm

I've noticed a few people of late coming out of the woodwork that actually also have Megasquirts. So, I was wondering - who else is out there? Post here - details of the ECU, the setup, hi-res or not, etc etc. I'm trying to promote a bit of discussion so we can share information etc.

Me, I've got a MegaSquirt 1 on a V3 board which I built myself. I used a base map from the MSPNP94-95 and have tuned it myself from there, though it still needs some more work. I also have an Innovate LC-1 which I use for tuning. I'm still tuning it, so enrichments and the like are disabled, which makes things a little rough. I'll get there...

So what's everyone else got?

bark
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby bark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:32 pm

I've got a MSPNP for 90-93 model. I setup a base map by simply inputting the constants for my engine such as injector size, engine capacity, etc... and it runs ok. It is currently at a tuner being tuned for compliance.

tinsfci
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA - V8

Postby tinsfci » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:03 pm

I have a '94, stock internals and exhaust (for now) running MSPNP with the afm removed and a pod filter. I run a Techedge WBO2 (model 2A1) and used the stock MSPNP spark map and tuned using megalogviewer to tweak the VE table. I started off very rich and tuned down (about 30 log-> modify cycles). It runs very well, but I need dyno time to tune the spark map for max power.

Got it from diyautontune, they were very easy to deal with and it was about 4 days from order to delivery. Install was straight forward, there is a ton of info out there and lots of peeps to ask if you do have a problem.

Love it!
Street='94 with FFS Coldside. Sold :(
Race='97 with AVO (soon to be Absurdflow) and GT2560 <--- sod that... LS1 conversion underway!

ampz
Racing Driver

Postby ampz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Ms1 V3 home built following advice from miataturbo.net (not the friendliest bunch though, you need to pick your questions.

It's in parallel with the mazda ecu doing idle and air con control (may change in the future.

LC1 wideband, EBC (still on stock pressure though), toyota COPS, home built Knocksense with Hyundai excel knock sensor. and crossed fingers :mrgreen:

I have EBC running closed wastegate to 6psi. It gets there by about 2100rpm 8)

MSPNP Base map was used, timing was advanced about 5 degrees over the base map off boost.

Variable TPS to come (again Hyundai excel) I need to fab a bracket and run more wires.
Huh?

timk
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby timk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:40 am

MSPNP 9093 with an automatic BMW E30 TPS (bolts straight up to the 1600 manual throttle body) and an Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 sensor. AFM removed, GM IAT added. \"Map Daddy\" fitted with baro correction.

I'm running the HR10e firmware.

I had previously built a V3 board from scratch but I sold it when I bought the SE. Didn't feel like making a second one. 8)

zoomzoom
Racing Driver

Postby zoomzoom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:49 am

MSPNP here.

Running no afm and gm IAT. Innovate LC1

Got a boost solenoid but no boost.

Running a NB6 manifold for the variable tps but not hooked up yet.

Tim

sabretooth
Speed Racer

Postby sabretooth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 am

I'm still in the early stages of tuning mine and figuring out wiring diagrams. The car's fairly roughly tuned so far - there's quite a jerk as I move onto throttle, so there's quite a bit of tuning left to go.

I still need to get working:
  • Tacho
  • Air conditioning
  • Thermofan control
  • Idle control

Tacho will be as simple as using one of two circuits. There's one circuit that I saw on miataturbo which looks incredibly simple, and the other is just a matter of taking the schematic for the one I used on the Haltech and wiring it straight up.

Air con is going to be an interesting task, as I have to take into account the refrigerant pressure switch and the AC relay. I'm guessing that maybe I can just wire those in series with a ground and that's it, but there's really only one way to figure that one out.

Thermofan control is just a matter of selecting the right output.

Idle air control is just wiring BLU/ORG to the FIDLE pin.

You MSPNP guys get it easy. :)

ampz
Racing Driver

Postby ampz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:22 am

Jerking on/off throttle will be your acceleration enrichments. Mine was a little wild, but it was easy enough to tune, just start with small adjustment and you should be fine.

My tach only works with the Mazda ecu plugged in, I need a pull up resistor to supply about 1V to the tach cluster if I am to go standalone.
(most likely eventual route)

I just grounded the A/c pin on the standard harness to engage the clutch, from what i made of the wiring diagrams, the refrigerant sensors are lin series with the clutch grounding circuit and go open if needed.
Huh?

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Great idea Geoff. sticky-d
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

sabretooth
Speed Racer

Postby sabretooth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Throttle enrichment is off - until I get the car nicely tuned, I'm leaving it that way as I don't want MegaLogViewer trying to compete/compensate for adjustments made by the throttle enrichment. I went for a ride in saboteur's car with the enrichments turned off, and his was a world better-behaved than my car was. I guess for now it's coming down to tuning.

I have my wiring for the AC set. I'll post a pic of my harness eventually, but I'm joining the AC line to the pressure switch line, and then joining the AC and thermofan wires to those with a diode. The diode will be there to stop thermofan activation from turning on the air conditioning.

Fatty
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re:

Postby Fatty » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:33 pm

saboteur wrote:I had previously built a V3 board from scratch but I sold it when I bought the SE. Didn't feel like making a second one. 8)

i bought this , about 80 - 90% done and finished it off. it is still sitting in a box under my desk , i'll fit it to the car one day :roll: but i have a bunch of more pressing issues to sort out first.

ampz
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby ampz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:43 pm

sabretooth wrote:I have my wiring for the AC set. I'll post a pic of my harness eventually, but I'm joining the AC line to the pressure switch line, and then joining the AC and thermofan wires to those with a diode. The diode will be there to stop thermofan activation from turning on the air conditioning.

So this means you're running the fans in parallel right?
Good idea. I wonder if closed loop idle control (with the variable TPS) will be sufficient for the load compensation of the AC, especially with lights on etc.
As currently with the on/off TPS i get a lean result under load (ie: AC, wipers , headlights and ps load) so my idle is aound 13:1 because it hits high 15s with all those on. Granted, there will be very few times that situation will be encoutered, but I would love to tune for every eventuality.

Say i lend the car to Craig on a stormy winter's night and he needs to parallel park it :shock:
It would be in that state for like 15 minutes :mrgreen:

(ducks for cover)
Huh?

sabretooth
Speed Racer

Postby sabretooth » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 am

Yep, they'll be in parallel :)

I've just fixed up the tach (joining BLK/WHT to +12v via a 1000 ohm resistor worked a treat), wired up the thermofan and the idle control. I think there's something iffy with the idle control further up the harness which I haven't looked at, as that was usually a problem with the Haltech. Also, the thermofan runs all of the time, so perhaps the presumably-unused wire on the Megasquirt may not be so unused after all.

The aircon is next.

Craig parallel park? You should see how he parks in front of garages:

jules
Guitar Hero

Postby jules » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 am

Bwahahha, I remember seeing him put it there. Couldn't believe my eyes.
Dodgy parking at Dodgy HQ!

Jules
Founder of the Gold Coast Chapter of the Honourable Brothers of Dodgy.

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:07 pm

He doesn't use his eyes, for the Force is strong with this one

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”