Haltech Elite Megathread

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

16bit
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Re: Haltech Elite Megathread

Postby 16bit » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 pm

seems to have everything i need and its almost $500 cheaper than a 1500.
98 evo gold - rotrexed and loving it.

This post has been printed using recycled pixels

ansellpa
Fast Driver

Postby ansellpa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Help wanted. With the ongoing development of the nc mazda by haltech we would like to ask if anyone is in a position for haltech to plug their scan tools into their vehicles this friday. This will only take an hour or so and haltech will come to them if it is close enough to wetheril park in Sydney. Anyone able to assist tomorrow you may call haltech on 97290999 and ask for Nathan.

Sailor
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Sailor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Word on the street is that the Elite 2500 is required for full function on NC especially PHRT.
Rob

05 NCLE, Cosworth SC,PF01,Ohlins,Selby,GWR exh
"We're only given a tiny spark of madness.We mustn't lose it"(Robin Williams)

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:10 am

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:23 am

Nope.

Its a hard call because an MS3 Pro is probably better than the Elite750, its certainly nicer to install and cheaper.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:27 am

Yeah, I was just going to doing a price comparison between MSPNP-Pro for MSM and a generic E1500 when I saw they had a specific SE/MSM. Makes a comparison a lot easier.

MSPNP still comes out cheaper, even with our crap dollar + international shipping + insurance + import fees.

Mr Sexy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby Mr Sexy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Thought I would bump this thread as I'm in the process of figuring out what ecu to go with for my se. Has there been any improvements since 2015? I noticed it looks like they have a proper plug and play option. Has any one recently bought one?

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:50 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Yeah, I was just going to doing a price comparison between MSPNP-Pro for MSM and a generic E1500 when I saw they had a specific SE/MSM. Makes a comparison a lot easier.

MSPNP still comes out cheaper, even with our crap dollar + international shipping + insurance + import fees.

I pulled out my invoices from when I imported my MSPNP-Pro for MSM and working from that I don't think there would be that much in it between it and an pnp Haltech Elite 1500. Working it out at the current exchange rate, by the time you pay shipping, insurance, GST and customs and broker fees I reckon you'd be looking at around $2200-$2250. You don't have to use a broker, but for the hassle it saved for about $80 I'd gladly use one again.

The Elite 1500 pnp kit is $2395 from the Haltech website.

I'm also interested in the current thoughts on the Elite 1500. I'm thinking I'll put the MSPNP-Pro on the SE road car (should have done it ages ago, but moving states seemed to get in the way), but looking for something for the SE race car. I've spoken to a tuner who gets a good rap here on the Gold Coast, but he's not all that happy to do Megasquirt ("an experience I'd rather not repeat" was a phrase he used - might have been an older model he did though?). He prefers Motec, Haltech or Link.

If money was no object I'd just go current generation Motec, but its just too expensive and no pnp support, so added expense for a custom wiring loom.

I don't know much about the Link, but I'd be concerned about getting adequate support. No pnp with the Link either.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm

If by PnP you mean a patch harness linking the OEM ECU plugs to the new aftermarket ECU, my tuner made up one for my Autronic. I don't think that it is a big deal, in which case any ECU can be PnP.

If you are having one made up, let me know and I will ask my tuner how accurate he found the US wiring diagram for the MSM, and what changes he had to make. I am pretty sure that is what I provided him.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 pm

I’m currently looking at options for my dedicated track car locost/clubman, engine is a NB8A. Was looking various ecu brands, tossing up and changing my mind between the ms2 pnp and the Haltech elite 1000. Right at this time I’m tending towards the elite ( main reasons oz product, pick up phone contact, more tuners available) The down side of this is price and there is no pnp available from Haltech ATM, that’s right none for NB8A. So if I go this way it’s build ya own harness, which is doable I just need to either teach myself or pay someone.
Question - To keep costs down for now can someone advise if there is a way I can use the OEM instrument cluster? I would only require the tacho, oil pres and water temp.
The plan would be to upgrade later to a race dash

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 am

CrazyRacer wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote:Yeah, I was just going to doing a price comparison between MSPNP-Pro for MSM and a generic E1500 when I saw they had a specific SE/MSM. Makes a comparison a lot easier.

I pulled out my invoices from when I imported my MSPNP-Pro for MSM and working from that I don't think there would be that much in it between it and an pnp Haltech Elite 1500. Working it out at the current exchange rate, by the time you pay shipping, insurance, GST and customs and broker fees I reckon you'd be looking at around $2200-$2250. You don't have to use a broker, but for the hassle it saved for about $80 I'd gladly use one again.

My post was over 2 years ago :P

I've since gone with the MSPNP-Pro, in-fact it's been almost 2 years running on that ECU. Our crap dollar has gotten even crappier in that time.

Costs aside, I think it comes down to if you want easy access to a local tuner, or if you want to learn about tuning and fiddle with much of it yourself. There is a ton of information online about Megasqurit, and much of it is MX-5/Miata specific, but you need to be able to search, filter, and absorb so much information! I like to learn, but there were certainly some frustrating occasions given I daily drive my car. There's something to be said for having local professional tuning support.

Also, the native CAN setups for Haltech are really awesome and allow for some excellent expandability. Very easy to add new sensors, etc and log them.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with either, they both have all the functionality we'd need, and anything is better than the stock SE ECU. I'd stay well away from Adaptronic though, the old ones were plagued with issues and now that Adaptronic has merged with Haltech I don't know if there's much support or updates in development.

GR124 wrote:Question - To keep costs down for now can someone advise if there is a way I can use the OEM instrument cluster? I would only require the tacho, oil pres and water temp.
The plan would be to upgrade later to a race dash

Pretty sure you can use the OEM cluster with any ECU, provided it's setup correctly. My tach works perfectly and I think everything else gets a direct wire from the sensors themselves. Oil pressure and water temp are useless in the later cars beyond acting like a warning light (more like a "you're f'd" light by the time they activate).

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for your response ManiacLachy. Spoke to Daniel at Haltech yesterday, he sent me some stuff on wiring the NB8A. I was going through the Haltech website again last night deciding on which way to go wiring the ECU. I may end up just cutting the engine harness OEM ECU connectors off and using Plug and Pin set. That way I can keep the engine harness, saves me a couple of bucks and more work. Keeping in mind I was originally looking at the MS2 PnP so this little Elite 1000 unit is a bit more expensive.

Below is direct from the tech section of the Haltech site.

No.3 Universal ECU + Plug and Pin
HAL_pins

If your car is not supported by our Plug’n’Play options and you’re using the factory engine harness you can adapt the factory connectors to fit your Haltech ECU using a Plug and Pin method.

Simply remove the factory connectors and crimp the Haltech Plug and Pin set on. You can now connect your Haltech ECU directly to your factory harness.
https://youtu.be/GzLiGezXshk

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 pm

greenMachine wrote:If by PnP you mean a patch harness linking the OEM ECU plugs to the new aftermarket ECU, my tuner made up one for my Autronic. I don't think that it is a big deal, in which case any ECU can be PnP.

If you are having one made up, let me know and I will ask my tuner how accurate he found the US wiring diagram for the MSM, and what changes he had to make. I am pretty sure that is what I provided him.

:mrgreen:

In the case of the Haltech, yes that's what I mean. For the MSPNP-Pro its a direct plug-in.

The preference for a PnP solution is just the time saving and ease of installation. I've built a loom for a Motec M4 from scratch in the past but it is time consuming, but rewarding when you fire it up and everything works as expected :D

The downside of the PnP solution is the lack of flexibility if you want to re-purpose an output or add extra sensors, in which case a custom adapter loom becomes more appealing, and the choice of ECUs opens up a bit. Having said that it seems that if you want the best chance of locating a decent local tuner who is familiar with your ECU the choice really comes down to Motec or Haltech.

As many have said in the past though, choose your tuner first!

Aiming Faster
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Aiming Faster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi All, would an Elite 550 suitably control an NB8A with throttle bodies and VVT? I would like an Idle Air Valve fitted too. Thanks.

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 am

Aiming Faster wrote:Hi All, would an Elite 550 suitably control an NB8A with throttle bodies and VVT? I would like an Idle Air Valve fitted too. Thanks.

Late answer to your question, but it looks like the Elite 550 doesn't do VVT control at all. The Elite 750 will do single cam control.

Feature comparison here...

https://www.haltech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/0317_ECUchart_SinglePage.pdf

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”