Haltech Elite Megathread

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

rob_hun7
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Haltech Elite Megathread

Postby rob_hun7 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Finally had the car on the dyno to do some fine tuning.
2003 NB
Haltech Elite 1500
Custom IntakeImage

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby CrazyRacer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:40 pm

rob_hun7 wrote:Finally had the car on the dyno to do some fine tuning.
2003 NB
Haltech Elite 1500
Custom Intake

I'm about to do a VVT swap with an Elite 1500, so interested in your results.

Was everything stock apart from the custom intake?

rob_hun7
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby rob_hun7 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:38 pm

CrazyRacer wrote:
rob_hun7 wrote:Finally had the car on the dyno to do some fine tuning.
2003 NB
Haltech Elite 1500
Custom Intake

I'm about to do a VVT swap with an Elite 1500, so interested in your results.

Was everything stock apart from the custom intake?
Yep, all stock.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby takai » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Ok, bit of a question. Not running the Elite, but the PS1000, which seems to have different trigger settings.

Was hoping to run the 36-2 trigger wheel, with the standard BP4W home on cam trigger. But i notice that the cam trigger seems to pickup the 2 nubs 180° out from the actual home.

Anyone running this setup and can share their trigger profile?

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:16 pm

I ended up going back to standard trigger setting because I couldn't get it working with Beavis' 36-2 which I had hoped to use.

Even after discussion with Haltech
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:33 pm

I run an Elite 750. I was advised to stay with the standard 4 tip trigger.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

36-2 triggering

Postby The American » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:01 pm

Someone asked me if I’d figured out 36-2 triggering using Haltech Elite 1500. The answer that I got back from a member of the US Haltech team who lurks on Miataturbo.net and has this running on his car, is to use Toyota 2jz trigger settings which are already set up in the software.

The link to the response is below.

https://www.miataturbo.net/haltech-118/setting-up-triggering-36-2-a-104971/

My car is due at the tuner early July, so will have first hand feedback soon.

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:15 pm

Some more info I got from Haltech on setting up the 32-2 +3 trigger system...

I'm also fitting a Beavis 36-2 trigger to a vvt engine, so hopefully I can get it to work!

It's definitely doable - two options to make it work:
- Fit a single-tooth sensor on the exhaust cam as the 'home' (giving 36-2 +1, and using the factory 3-tooth intake cam sensor for variable control only). Easy option as the aftermarket crank and cam sensors can be slapped on at any angle.
- Use the factory 3-tooth cam sensor as the home (36-2 +3 Toyota VVTi pattern) - but the 36-2 wheel will need to sit at the right angle relative to the cam sensor. To determine which stroke the engine is on, the ECU counts the number of home teeth that occur between the two missing-tooth crank events. You should wind up with something like this:

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:19 am

During a recent race the Elite 1500 threw two codes which put me out of the race. P1301 & P1300 basically the crank sensor lost sync
I have now removed the OE 4 tooth wheel and bought the Flyin Miata 36-2 wheel. About to install it on my 2.5 hour old engine (pulled down) after bearing failure :cry: that's another story
I didn't know there was a big issue with the software setup. I guess it's easy when you know how

after looking on the MiataTurbo links The American put up I found this from ChrisLol

"36-2 +3 is fully supported by Haltech ECUs. It always has been as the Toyota VVTi trigger is identical. It was my mistake for not recognizing it. My car is now running with an FM 36-2 wheel and Elite 1500. No issues. Swap the wheel. Change the trigger pattern. Adjust the TDC offset to 140º. Done."

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Hopefully with the image link fixed this time...

It's definitely doable - two options to make it work:
- Fit a single-tooth sensor on the exhaust cam as the 'home' (giving 36-2 +1, and using the factory 3-tooth intake cam sensor for variable control only). Easy option as the aftermarket crank and cam sensors can be slapped on at any angle.
- Use the factory 3-tooth cam sensor as the home (36-2 +3 Toyota VVTi pattern) - but the 36-2 wheel will need to sit at the right angle relative to the cam sensor. To determine which stroke the engine is on, the ECU counts the number of home teeth that occur between the two missing-tooth crank events. You should wind up with something like this:

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:17 pm

Thanks crazyracer

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 am

StuwieP wrote:I ended up going back to standard trigger setting because I couldn't get it working with Beavis' 36-2 which I had hoped to use.

I just managed to get my car started with a Beavis 36-2 crank trigger wheel and an Elite 1500.

After some emails were exchanged with Haltech I ended up reversing the crank trigger wheel (so that the "BB" cutout is facing backwards) as this moved the trigger point for the missing teeth away from where the cam sensor triggers.

I used the Toyota 3SGE Beams 36-2 trigger pattern, but I think the 2JZ as others have mentioned should work too.

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:42 am

CrazyRacer wrote:
StuwieP wrote:I ended up going back to standard trigger setting because I couldn't get it working with Beavis' 36-2 which I had hoped to use.

I just managed to get my car started with a Beavis 36-2 crank trigger wheel and an Elite 1500.

After some emails were exchanged with Haltech I ended up reversing the crank trigger wheel (so that the "BB" cutout is facing backwards) as this moved the trigger point for the missing teeth away from where the cam sensor triggers.

I used the Toyota 3SGE Beams 36-2 trigger pattern, but I think the 2JZ as others have mentioned should work too.

Hi Crazy Racer,
I assume that the Beavis 36-2 wheel teeth spacing and position is the same as the FM 36-2? Because I'm about to install the FM 36-2. I don't want to install on the wrong way cause the ATI balancer is a bitch to get on and off (instructions indicate the correct way, but may note work with the Elite 1500). Any chance you can put some photos up of the position of the missing teeth in relation to TDC? or I can PM and you can send via phone if easier? Also in the trigger set up page of the Elite 1500 what's your TDC offset angle set at?

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:38 pm

I've got no idea whether the Beavis 36-2 trigger wheel is the same as the FM one.

Here's a photo of one next to the stock item in the orientation that I installed it (looking from the front of the engine)

IMG20210729125324.jpg

I just dummied mine up on the crank with the sensor in place, removed the cam sensor then turned the crank till the missing teeth lined up with the crank angle sensor then looked into the cam sensor hole to see if the teeth on the camshaft were anywhere near.

With the trigger wheel one way they were, flipping it around they weren't. Make sure you spin the engine around a few times and check each time the missing teeth come around as one rotation will bring up a single tooth on the camshaft and the next 2 teeth which may put one closer to the missing crank teeth.

From memory the offset angle was somewhere in the 150s, but I need to reset it once I get the install more finished. That was just done roughly on cranking to get it to start.

If I was running individual coils that could be out by 360 degrees too, but as I still have wasted spark it doesn't matter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:26 pm

Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”