Dwell reducer circuit for COPs - will this work or not?

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

wleung
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Dwell reducer circuit for COPs - will this work or not?

Postby wleung » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi Guys,

This question is for the EE/Mechanics out there.

I've been reading up on the COPs conversion as I was interested in it, and was wondering if the dwell circuit needed to be as complicated as the ones in the write-ups?
(i.e. the part that modifies the dwell timing, not the 10,000uF capacitor part)

If the aim is to reduce a ~5ms pulse train to a ~2.5ms (ish) pulse train, would the following positive edge trigger generator shown in the answer for this webpage work?
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/211024/how-to-generate-edge-triggered-pulse
*edit*: Obviously you would change the R2 & C1 values to make 2.5ms

If not, could someone explain why?
(Just a curious engineer who wants to know the answer for this - so maybe I'll go hunt for some Toyota COPs).

Cheers,
Wilson

wleung
Driver

Re: Dwell reducer circuit for COPs - will this work or not?

Postby wleung » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 am

Appending some information.
A 74LS121 IC chip is probably a better implementation of the same idea - Monostable pulse generator.
(Explanation website: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/monostable.html - Scroll to 74LS121 Monostable Generator)
Tweaked by a resistor and capacitor in a similar fashion & can be positive edge or negative edge triggered.
Again - not sure if the dwell reducing circuit is supposed to do something else apart from pulse modification.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:03 am

If you're in Melb I've got one of the dwell reducer circuits from a group buy on here ages ago.

If you want it to test etc you have have it.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

wleung
Driver

Postby wleung » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks for the offer hks... but I've realised a flaw in my design, and probably won't need it.

The pulse generator would cause it to fire 3ms too early because it's triggering a 2.5ms pulse on the positive transition of the 5.5ms pulse. I'd want to have the 2.5ms pulse align with the negative edge of the original 5.5ms pulse so the spark fires at the exact same spot.

I would need to logically AND the 5.5ms signal with the NOT of a positively edge triggered 3ms pulse to do this, and then the complexity of the circuit starts to approach that of the one proposed in the group buy.

Just wanted to solve the problem with digital circuits to see if it uses less off-the-shelf parts than the version using comparators. I'll probably just try to understand how the group buy circuit works.
I just didn't want to cheat and shove a PIC in there, although that would be just as fun.

Cheers,
W

wleung
Driver

Postby wleung » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:00 pm

This is what I was going for: At the moment it has not yet been tested or built - I'll probably do it next time I have free time which will be a while away....

The entire B monostable vibrator may not be necessary - it was just to run the Trigger input through the same propagation delay as the the A monostable vibrator pulse to avoid a temporary spike on the output.
Might be redundant with nanosecond propagation times actually (And thus you can save $2.15 by putting the other coil through the spare monostable vibrator)

The Trigger is AND-ed with the rest of the signal to ensure the firing of the spark matches with what the ECU intended. So the idea is to fiddle with the capacitor on vibrator A to vary the width of the pulse.
Spec sheet says pulse width (seconds) = Rx * Cx.

DigitalDwellReducer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:32 pm

It's worth remembering that dwell time is not the only significant parameter you need to deal with here. The right combination of dwell time and voltage is what you're really after. If you can't get that exactly right then good quality coils (ie genuine Nippon Denso ones, as opposed to generic cheapies) do seem to perform well and survive with serious overcharging anyway.

Check out the table in viewtopic.php?f=55&t=53994
’95 NA8

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”