Aftermarket radio and electric antennae

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Aftermarket radio and electric antennae

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Probably a simple question, but car audio isn't my thing.

Have a 99 NB, oem stereo (proper late 90s setup, tape deck, 6disc stacker in the boot)

Being an NB it has the factory electric antennae, which raises when the stereo is turned on, and lowers when then the stereo is off (or when you switch to a non-radio function like tape, or CD)

Anyway, while i'm happy with the OEM gear, the CD stacker skips like mad over bumps, thanks to being in the boot, and also since I have moderately stiff suspension.
I've got a Sony stereo sitting around given to me by a mate, which has an in-dash cd player, which hopefully wont skip as much since it's not directly above a damn axle.

Anyway, when you wire in a non-factory stereo do you keep the electric antennae? or am I going to have to run some wires to a manual switch?

Also, I assume AM radio still works no issue on aftermarket head units? they dont need a separate antennae for that like home systems do they? (asking since the Clarion unit in my daily cant pick up AM clearly at all, and I can't tell why since FM is no problem)

edit:
New unit is a Sony CDX GT180 if there's model differences in the antennae bit.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Aftermarket radio and electric antennae

Postby KevGoat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Easiest way to fit is to purchase an ISO wiring harness with the correct plug for the car. Then just solder the wires from this to the plug supplied with the head unit. The antenna wire is included. This way you don't damage the original wiring or plug. Ebay sells the harnesses or try Jaycar or Supercheap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:02 pm

I was going to go the iso route to avoid cutting off the oem plug.

Also need to buy a plug for the Sony head unit (its missing) it looks like Sony plugs are easily available at suoercheap, just hoping that Sony used the same plug for most models.....

So do the iso plugs retail all the factory features like antenna, dim with lights etc?

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:26 pm

Depends on the unit. Both my JVC units raised and lowered the antenae properly properly (only up when radio is on) but my Sony unit doesn't (antennae up when unit is on). The JVCs and Sonys are the same plug, well most of them are.

I've got a Sony plug that I've cut the iso connector off that you're welcome to. I've also got the iso plug that I cut off. I was going to wire the Sony plug in before I realised that the jvc unit in there already used the same plug.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:28 pm

I've managed to replace a Pioneer head unit plug from Supercheap before, but might need to order if not held in stock.

Another option is if you can find a harness that is ISO to your specific head unit (has head unit plug one end), then you don't have to do any wiring at all. So you then have one harness which is the OEM plug adapter to ISO male, then another harness that is ISO female to head unit.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:35 pm

[quote="KevGoat]
Another option is if you can find a harness that is ISO to your specific head unit (has head unit plug one end), then you don't have to do any wiring at all. So you then have one harness which is the OEM plug adapter to ISO male, then another harness that is ISO female to head unit.[/quote]

That's basically my intention, least fuss and I don't need to utilise my questionable wiring skills.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:36 pm

For future reference.

There's no ISO to Mazda plug for the 99 NB (well, none listed in the catalogue at Autobarn/SUpercheap for the Aerpro brand they sell)

looks like they only make them for the later cars (Mazda3, NC, etc.... maybe NB8B if it's the same plug as those)

So yeah, old fashioned hack and splice time.

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:17 pm

They are available from ebay, same as the 90's 323's etc.
Hack and splice is quicker considering usual ebay delivery times.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:57 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Anyway, while i'm happy with the OEM gear, the CD stacker skips like mad over bumps, thanks to being in the boot, and also since I have moderately stiff suspension.

If you mount the stacker so the discs are vertical rather than horizontal, it skips 10000% less..

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:02 pm

rascal wrote:
hks_kansei wrote:Anyway, while i'm happy with the OEM gear, the CD stacker skips like mad over bumps, thanks to being in the boot, and also since I have moderately stiff suspension.

If you mount the stacker so the discs are vertical rather than horizontal, it skips 10000% less..

I tried that originally, but still slipped a lot.
I suspect it's mostly to do with the coilovers, since my old stacker skipped a fair bit too (mounted vertically) with my previous softer suspension.

The stacker will live on though, it may end up in my partner's NA6 if she wants it, or more likely i'll setup the old head unit/stacker etc as a garage stereo.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:08 pm

All installed.

Sounds fine, doesn't skip, and electric antenna works like stock ( Only up on radio, select CD and it drops)

Ended up cutting the factory plug off and soldering the new Head unit one on.

The old stereo will likely end up mounted into a box and setup as a garage stereo.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Good stuff!

The working of the electric antenna can depend on the head unit. I've always had a preference towards Pioneer HU's, but this has meant that I have to put up with the antenna signal being sent as soon as the HU powers up irrespective of what is selected. In my SE I fitted a switch to stop it going up. Other HU's only send the signal when Radio is selected so the antenna stays down rest of the time.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:55 pm

I assumed it would be like yours, and even had a switch ready to wire in.

But yeah, once I tested it it worked how I wanted so I left he switch out. All together.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”