Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

xeon8
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA6

[NA6] Indicator Hyperblink - Not LED related though

Postby xeon8 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi all,

Since I purchased my NA6 a while ago, I've had a hyperblink situation that is driving me nuts. Its not catastrophic as the indicators work at least, but it does get on my nerves from time to time. I have replaced all of the indicator bulbs with the correct halogens - 21W for the front and rear, and 5W for the side. I know the hyperblink happens when LED's are installed, however halogens are just fine for me.

The speed of both the left and right side are inconsistent with each other; The left side seems a little quicker than the right.

I suspect the flasher unit has gone bad, maybe, but I'll swap in another one to narrow down the possibilities. I did however stick my head up under the dash to have a look at what else I could find. I have some pictures of my findings that I'll get around to uploading, but I thought what I found looked a little sus.

Has anybody else had an issue like this? What could the remedy possibly be? If I had LED's it would be easy to fix, but the fact that I have the correct size halogens totally bamboozles me.

Nick.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: [NA6] Indicator Hyperblink - Not LED related though

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:01 pm

the bulbs 21w ,21/5w , 5W etc are not halogen- just good old 12 volt incandescent filament bulbs. There is any amount of information about trouble shooting car electricals and it's possible that there is a fault in the flasher can or poor connections etc. Suggest take a read of some of these guides- perhaps the NA repair manual covers trouble shooting.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: [NA6] Indicator Hyperblink - Not LED related though

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 pm

xeon8 wrote:Has anybody else had an issue like this?

Yeah, the issue has come up on here before, but since the thread cull it might have got deleted. However, the Big forum might help:
http://www.miata.net/garage/turnsig.html
http://www.miata.net/garage/flash.html

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”