Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Theenyx5
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Amplifier locations in an nb

Postby Theenyx5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm upgrading the stereo in my mx5 on the cheap. I have an old clarion apx2181 2 channel lying around that I'm going to use but can't work out the tidiest way to mount it.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my X9079 using Tapatalk

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Amplifier locations in an nb

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:02 pm

If it'll fit, in the tunnel behind the drivers seat through to the boot is a good out of the way spot.
Or mount it behind the seat (though limits seat travel)
MeepMeep

Theenyx5
Driver

Re: RE: Re: Amplifier locations in an nb

Postby Theenyx5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Roadrunner wrote:If it'll fit, in the tunnel behind the drivers seat through to the boot is a good out of the way spot.
Or mount it behind the seat (though limits seat travel)

Yea I did look behind the seat but I think limiting my seat travel will annoy me later on.
I did see the tunnel behind the drivers seat but I have a feeling my amp is a little too big to hide in there

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Yeah, it's too wide to fit in the tunnel, you need one that's narrow.

Another option is under the passenger's seat = you can use one-sided velcro (ie. the "hook side ") to "fix it" to the carpet under the seat - it'll be strong enough to hold it in place.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Theenyx5
Driver

Postby Theenyx5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Lokiel wrote:Yeah, it's too wide to fit in the tunnel, you need one that's narrow.

Another option is under the passenger's seat = you can use one-sided velcro (ie. the "hook side ") to "fix it" to the carpet under the seat - it'll be strong enough to hold it in place.

Having a look now. Not much room under the seat. But thinking velcro is the way to go with it. If I do the wiring neat enough I could make it removal and fit it behind the passenger seat?

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Here's another amplifier option (if you can find the 2nd-hand amplifier cheap enough):

Buy a 2004-2008 Bose amplifier from a wrecked RX-8, NC or Mazda 3: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-MX5-NC-USED-BOSE-AMPLIFIER-2008-TYPE-PN-NG2066920C-KU060-/122355511921?hash=item1c7cf4f271:g:6AUAAOSwTuJYopYZ

Install it anywhere because it's so small.

Here's the pinout:
* Connect A and H to Battey GND and + terminals respectively
* Connect B11 to head unit's SWB+ (head unit's amplifier power)
* Connect Speaker Inputs (B3-B10) to amplifier, depending on speakers available
* Connect Speaker Outputs (A5-A12) to amplifier, depending on speakers available

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bose use some ridiculous proprietary system with their gear, which is why it's supposed to be such a hassle with changing components on a Mazda3/6?

As for mount options, my pick for an NB would be in the boot, far left side.
There's a big pocket there below the carpet level, if you remove the plastic liner you may be able to slot the amp in there and just make a small cover to go over it (like what the battery has on the opposite side)
If the amp fits you could have it totally invisible, and protected from being bumped etc.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

bear2230
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bear2230 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 pm

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scooby - Silver SP - Build # 53
Snowie - White NB project car. Engineered and registered :)
Vader - Hilux & Gretel the black German Bitch

Theenyx5
Driver

Postby Theenyx5 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:41 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bose use some ridiculous proprietary system with their gear, which is why it's supposed to be such a hassle with changing components on a Mazda3/6?

As for mount options, my pick for an NB would be in the boot, far left side.
There's a big pocket there below the carpet level, if you remove the plastic liner you may be able to slot the amp in there and just make a small cover to go over it (like what the battery has on the opposite side)
If the amp fits you could have it totally invisible, and protected from being bumped etc.

bear2230 wrote:
image.png

Are there good guides anywhere how to mount it neatly like that? I'm thinking about doing a false floor too so if I do go the boot mounting route I may as well do it all together

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:27 pm

No guides afaik, but it should be pretty self explanatory when you get in and have a look.

The plastic storage bin is held in by a single Philips head screw in the bottom, undo that and it just lifts out.

Then you can see how the amp will best fit, and look at a bracket to hold it in place.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:08 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bose use some ridiculous proprietary system with their gear, which is why it's supposed to be such a hassle with changing components on a Mazda3/6?
:

You're correct.

From post#2 @ https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=627000"
"Traditional speaker leads off an aftermarket radio is providing an already amplified signal, ready to connect to a speaker. If you connect that wire to the Bose plug, which in turn goes through the amp where it is amplified again, you get an extremely "powerful" signal when it finally hits the speaker.
Some think "oh perfect just what I want".....not really. With this setup there really is no "quiet/soft/low" listening level, it's just loud and louder. Assume a radio has a numeric volume indicator where the display goes from 0-50(typical scale). By the time you turn the knob and get to about 3-5, you're already at normal listening volume while driving. Getting to 10 and your speakers are screaming for their life and if you're using stock speaker, lets just say they won't be screaming for long "

... so scratch that idea of using a Bose amplifier!

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”