Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

billybunter
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Upgrading stardard NB radio/CD player

Postby billybunter » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:08 pm

hi all
say if I wanted to upgrade the standard cd radio. its original and never been touched. just wanted to upgraded to something with a bit more volume. prefer something easy to fit too and more plug and play if that's possible, speakers are non original. any recommendations?
thanks

siege
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Upgrading stardard NB radio/CD player

Postby siege » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:14 pm

If you want more volume are you doing new door speakers and an external amplifier?

I haven't gone that route, but I replaced my radio with a double din headunit off Ali express which runs Android and essentially acts like a tablet in terms of running Google maps, Spotify etc. And has a radio app too. I don't own any CDs so losing that functionality doesn't bother me. If you're in the same boat it's a strong recommend from me.

My car already had an aftermarket cd/radio which was an old kenwood unit and the audio was soft and terrible quality. Improved greatly and its a simple diy mod.
2000 NB8A in Racing Green / Carbon fibre cowl intake / Racing beat muffler

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Upgrading stardard NB radio/CD player

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:47 pm

To make matters easier, you can probably just wire an amplifier into the existing stereo.

Increase in volume assuming speakers match, and you still have the exact same head unit.

I've always found the standard stereo in the NB to be great in both volume and sound quality, only reason I changed mine was for an in-dash CD player (my boot mount stacker died)
I still kept the original speakers because they were fine.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”