Coil on plug.

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Spac
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Coil on plug.

Postby Spac » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Our NA6 came to us with a COP conversion already done, as an artefact of the previous Adaptronic & turbo install (but is now running NA and standard ECU).

Here's where it gets messy: the standard coils are still fitted and connected. This has lead to the coils arcing over and burning the ends of the coils, and ticking like a dead lifter.

If I disconnect the standard coil packs, the car stalls after a couple of seconds (I assume something to do with the ECU not seeing an ignition pulse).

So... Why shouldn't I just replace the stock coil packs and plug leads, and ditch the COPS?

Or is there an easy way to disconnect the stock coil packs that doesn't stop the car?

Cheers!

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Coil on plug.

Postby NitroDann » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 pm

I don't know how your system works but an auto electrician will be able to figure it out in 5 minutes and get it all working in an hour or so.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 pm

You would be best to remove the COP conversion and go back to standard coils/leads.
The COP setup would require you to be able to adjust dwell setting down often to 2.5ms, not reasonably possible with the standard computer. I'd say it has been jerry-rigged to work after adaptronic was removed but will need to be addressed ASAP. Consult shop manuals or haynes manuals to get an idea of the oem setup and inspect your wiring for modifications before taking along to an auto sparky.
Na6 wiring is beautiful in it's simplicity, I can share diagrams from the 9/89 edition shop manual to help if needed.

Hoolio
Fast Driver

Postby Hoolio » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:51 am

The standard ignition system sends a feedback signal to the ECU to verify coil firing. Unplugging the standard coils will interrupt that, so that is probably why the engine then stalls. (The only easy way around that is to use an aftermarket ECU…).

As you suggest: best to remove the COP ignition system and put everything back to standard.

One caveat is that the standard coils have been running for a while with no leads and plugs attached. This generates higher than normal voltages in the coils (you can hear the arcing) and might have damaged them, so you might have to replace them for reliability.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 am

Let us know if you want to sell the Cop system. I might be interested
My standard system packed it in today. Ive started the research on wiring up a COP system.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm

StanTheMan wrote:Ive started the research on wiring up a COP system.

You've probably already found this, but if not it's very comprehensive & also applies if running MS:
http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=67222
There were also a couple of other good ones on here by tbro
http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=44754
& green_comet (was on Youtube).

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”