NA6 headlight upgrade

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

green_comet
Car Detailing Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Re: NA6 headlight upgrade

Postby green_comet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:10 pm

Calmman wrote:My two cents here. I was considering the same modification and realised there is ADR approved solution out there from Narva. The Narva part # is 72104 and just a direct swap with no hardware modification.
https://www.narva.com.au/products/72104

Very interesting, I'd be down to spend that kinda money on decent headlights if they were 100% legal. After driving cars around with LED and HID headlights, jumping into the MX-5 and using the ancient headlights are just the worst.

green_comet
Car Detailing Guru

Postby green_comet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Did some more research, looks like Stedi do a couple replacement 7 inch led headlights that are both ADR compliant and setup for RHD beam. Quite a bit cheaper than the Narva ones too.

https://www.stedi.com.au/stedi-7-inch-l ... light.html

https://www.stedi.com.au/stedi-7-inch-c ... light.html

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:17 pm

I saw the Narva product on a Series 2 Landrover which was in the process of being prepared for conversion to electric vehicle - interesting story- its underway - name is Jaunt Motors- worth a look. I have the photo on the phone and now know what it was. I noticed that the leds are sourced or made by Osram- i.e. part of the unit. The Stedi looks interesting. Narva have been in the game now for at least 30 years as aftermarket suppliers and one might think their sourcing is informed. Love to hear green comets review if a unit is purchased. What is the pricing on both.
Thanks for the info- good lights are a great feature on cars. LEDS certainly seem to be the go today.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 am

Mr Morlock wrote:What is the pricing on both.

Stedi=$150 v Narva=$250ish IIRC.

twr7cx
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby twr7cx » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Calmman wrote:I was considering the same modification and realised there is ADR approved solution out there from Narva.

My understanding is that the ADR approval on those lights means that those lights meet the ADR specs and requirements as individual light units. It doesn't mean that the any vehicle is ADR compliant when they are fitted - that would require individual testing and certification of those lights on that vehicle platform.

IB-132C Vehicle Safety and Standards Information Bulletin (Updated August 2017)

LED headlight replacements globe Similar to HID lights, LED lights to produce more light to the amount of power they consume. The retro-fitting of aftermarket conversions of LED lights and/or light assemblies to the dipped beam (low beam) circuit of a vehicle does not guarantee that they will comply with ADR performance requirements applicable to the vehicle which may make them non-compliant for road use. The fitting of such lights and/or light assemblies is considered altering a vehicle from the manufacturer’s specifications which classify the vehicle as a modified vehicle. The vehicle is required to be examined to determine if the vehicle meets the requirements under ADR13.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFi ... IB_132.pdf

(while I realise that this is a WA State based reference, ADR is a national issue so the same would presumably apply in all other States and Territory's.

Calmman wrote:The only downside is a costly update.

$450.00 a side...

green_comet wrote:Did some more research, looks like Stedi do a couple replacement 7 inch led headlights that are both ADR compliant and setup for RHD beam.

There's a number of manufacturers of ADR compliant light assemblies. The issue is that it doesn't mean compliance once retro fitted to a particular vehicle platform that hasn't been tested with them...

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:44 am

7" QH inserts were made by Hella and sold as aftermarket- they would have had e markings and met the standards applied in Europe for light control etc. These were extensively used as OEM replacements for many makes of cars in Aust Uk etc. For custom designed headlamps made in Australia like Falcon these were certified in Australia and always fitted with e marked bulbs and supplied to the car maker. The problem with some of the aftermarket suppliers is that they are often made without any recognised standards. I reckon if there is a question about the verification - standards then ask Narva or an agent for an explanation.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:57 pm

I rang Repco and they quoted me 72104 at $690 per unit. A that price I would say that is absurdly expensive. I did ask was that 1 or 2- answer !. Maybe someone else can check their source. Narva does not sell direct to public. Looks to me that Narva is not the answer for most of us.

green_comet
Car Detailing Guru

Postby green_comet » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:38 pm

Digging up this old thread, ordered myself a set of Stedi 7" homage LED headlights for my NA. Aesthetically they look great imo and seem to perform great going by specifications listed by Stedi. I'll update on my findings when they arrive and compare them to the stock lights.

green_comet
Car Detailing Guru

Postby green_comet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Made up a little video of them compared to the standard lights. My photos don't do them justice, they're amazing in person. Massive upgrade in terms of output and the cut-off is nice a clean, once I have my car on the road I'll level them correctly and take some photos/video.

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:02 pm

Thanks for the excellent video.

Despite my love for the efficiency of LEDs, you have convinced me to stick with my halogens and to not waste* my money on LED headlights. I hate that very bright/very dark sharp transition; I think it would make driving feel like walking around a house at night with a bright flashlight instead of simply turning on the room lights. For a middle aged person like me, with decreasingly effective dark vision, such contrast makes anything in the dark areas completely invisible.

* my value judgement.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

green_comet
Car Detailing Guru

Postby green_comet » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:22 am

StillIC wrote:Thanks for the excellent video.

Despite my love for the efficiency of LEDs, you have convinced me to stick with my halogens and to not waste* my money on LED headlights. I hate that very bright/very dark sharp transition; I think it would make driving feel like walking around a house at night with a bright flashlight instead of simply turning on the room lights. For a middle aged person like me, with decreasingly effective dark vision, such contrast makes anything in the dark areas completely invisible.

* my value judgement.

Yeah that's understandable, the halogens (while far less bright compared to the LED's) did have a more even distribution of light across their whole beam. The LEDs have a hard cut off line but it's not hugely different to the halogen, I think the massive increase in output from the LEDs just makes it far more obvious where the light stops, resulting in this very hard cut off. I'm keen to see how they go on road though, I think the LEDs will certainly have the advantage there in terms of lighting up the road ahead and to the either side of the road. But we'll see how they go.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”