SE oil gauge replacement

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Spooks4
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

SE oil gauge replacement

Postby Spooks4 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:42 am

Just wondering if anyone has replaced their oil gauge in their dash cluster with a boost gauge?
There’s an SE thread about someone doing it but the gauges that were used were from the states and not cheap. Just wanted to see if there was any alternative or possible cheaper gauges that fit? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Re: SE oil gauge replacement

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 am

No alternatives to the SpeedHut gauges have been found. The issue is gauge depth, as well as being able to disassemble them.

Have a search through Lokiel's garage thread, he tried several different gauges before biting the bullet and going with the SpeedHut.

I have a SpeedHut waiting to go in, hopefully some point this year. If you think you'll do a face swap with some RevLimiter faces, do that first so you can custom match your SpeedHut face (one of the best features of the SpeedHut's is the ability to customise them).

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 am

... another issue, besides depth, I found with some boost gauges (mostly older mechanical-type gauges) are those that need a barb to attach the pressure hose too.
This requires cutting a hole in the rear of the instrument cluster
... which means cutting through the rear circuit-print
... which would sever some of the wire traces
... which would then render the associated circuit useless
... so you don't want that!

Also, the small gauges in the instrument cluster are NOT standard 52mm gauges so any gauge you try to fit will require modification.

Learn from the experience of others and save yourself time/money/hassles and just fit the SpeedHut gauge or don't bother.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Welcome Spooks4 ...

There's a number of threads that cover this mod - Lokiel's as mentioned plus over on Miata.net - and it's worth reading and re-reading these prior to attempting. It's not a hard modification but it is daunting to "wreck" an expensive gauge as is required and it does require some care in the way it's all done. As mentioned other gauges have been tried but the Speedhut is proven and looks factory to boot.

That said, the end result is well worth it. I had this mod, but when my gauge went faulty I ended up fitting a mechanical gauge in my center dash area and by the time Speedhut replaced my gauge (good service from them btw) I just never got around to re-fitting it and ended up selling it. But the placement of my gauge now is next to useless compared to having it in more direct vision in the instrument cluster!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Alright guys thanks for the help, got the speed hut gauge in the kart waiting for purchase, was just trying to save some cash.
You all have made good points though, for the quality and piece of mind I’ll bite the bullet order my speed hut gauge :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:37 am

If you can wait, SpeedHut occasionally have sales, usually linked to American holidays. I'm pretty sure they love a 4th of July sale. Probably 10% or so.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Today is Martin Luther King Jnrs birthday holiday.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:13 pm

They seem a little bit too "Good ol' boy" for that, but you never know.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”