I need a spare switch for my immobilizer

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

I need a spare switch for my immobilizer

Postby lonesailor » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:40 pm

I've had my NA8 for 4 years now and haven't lost (for any length of time anyway) my one and only key fob switch, but am somewhat paranoid that it will happen someday. I need to get a spare, I did go to a major locksmith company and they worked out that the immobilizer was installed by either Mazda Australia or the new car dealer, the system was apparently made in South Africa and while they could source a switch they didn't know how to clone one without a code. I haven't got a code. I did find a set of numbers which may have been the code sometime later, so put them in my phone so I would always have them, but my phone died and it is not on my sim. Does anyone know if the switch can be cloned without the code? and if so could they recommend someone in Brisbane who could do it?

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: I need a spare switch for my immobilizer

Postby bruce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:23 pm

Immobiliser is fitted by the Mazda dealer or later, factory never fitted them.
If a locksmith can't clone it maybe try another locksmith. Immob' weren't too complicated back in the day.
If you lose your keyfob just get a mobile sparky to come over and rip out the immobiliser. The electronics in an NA8 are simple and you should be able to bypass it.

lonesailor
Fast Driver

Postby lonesailor » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 am

Funny you should mention that. Guy I purchased her from was an electrician with Telstra, he had done a lot of work on the car, he told me that he once tried to disconnect it but it beat him. I'll try some other locksmiths, or if that fails an electronics or radio buff. surely if the signal fequency could be ascertained and recreated that would trigger it.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 am

lonesailor wrote: ... if the signal frequency could be ascertained and recreated that would trigger it.

Probably not. Immobilisers generally have a code of some sort that the remote has to use to activate the locking/unlocking. In more modern ones (AIUI) the code is 'rolling', what worked last time will be different the next time the remote is used.

Having said that, if you have a wiring diagram for the car it should be possible to isolate and remove the current immobiliser, and install a replacement if you want.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

lonesailor
Fast Driver

Postby lonesailor » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:44 am

I thought I should end this discussion with the solution which I eventually used. I have, with difficulty because getting at the wiring under the dash is no fun for a big old bloke, identified where the ignition circuit was cut and the immobiliser wired in, and have wired a hidden switch in parallel to it. Should I lose the dongle, or should it fail ( a distinct possibility as the button has broken), the switch can be closed and the immobiliser bypassed. The siren, I think, will still sound but I will deal with that when, and if, the situation arises, at least I'll be able to get home.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”