How Differentials work

Links to your favourite Multimedia happenings to do with the MX5/Miata

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

How Differentials work

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:42 am

Found this cool video series from 'Engineering Explained' digging into the theory of how differentials work which is nearly an hour worth. I found it educational.

Differentials - Explained:

Open vs Locked Differential - Explained:

Open vs Locked Differential - Torque Transfer - Explained:

1 Way - 2 Way - 1.5 Way LSD - Explained:

Torsen Limited Slip Differential - Explained:

Torsen LSD - Torque Transfer - Explained:

Torque Vectoring Differential - Explained:
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: How Differentials work

Postby beavis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:34 pm

My head exploded
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:17 pm

beavis wrote:My head exploded

^ haha, I tried to learn it out of a book first which melted my brain. After I watched these videos it made sense though.

I looked up similar videos trying to get a better grasp on shock absorbers as well and found these video's from Dyson Racing which were helpful to understand what to think about when setting up cars to steer well.

The last video "How a car turns" to me was the most insightful with a large part of the back end of the video talking about different diff setups being used on different tracks which explains some of the practical application of the theory videos on diffs I posted before.

SHOCKS 101: INSIDE A RACING DAMPER

SHOCKS 101, PART TWO: THE PHILOSOPHY BEHIND THE MAGIC

Race Tires 101

Racing Dynamics 201 - How a Car Turns
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:31 pm

A lot of these sort of things are difficult to learn from diagrams and books, visual representations are a bit easier, but the best (I think) is to have a phyiscal look.

I learned about how diffs work from lego many years ago (I had a few sets which used an open diff)

And the Torsen I learned about by pulling apart a worn one and seeing how each piece interacts with each other.
That and having a great chat with FLycasta on this forum when he built my diff (he pulled apart the centre and showed me all the bits etc and how they worked)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Return to “MX5 Multimedia”