SE build thread videos

Links to your favourite Multimedia happenings to do with the MX5/Miata

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Spooks4
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

SE build thread videos

Postby Spooks4 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:37 am

I love reading build threads on here and I was think of my making my own thread on my SE, I was thinking of filming it instead of writing though, has anyone on here filmed there own or does anyone else enjoy watching car vids on YouTube ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Re: SE build thread videos

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 am

Filming and doing it well is a lot of work. I like watching a few car channels on YouTube, but I cannot stand the ones where the person points their camera phone at their face and engine bay and rambles, they're just painful to watch. If you can put in the time to film it well, have a "script" (talking points) and be concise but informative, then go for it. TheCarPassionChannel is the gold standard for backyard mechanic MX-5 videos IMO, and he puts a lot of time into them. Beavis is also very good and has improved a lot over time.

Generally I think snapping some photos and adding text is the way to do a build thread, it's much easier to look back at, and you're speaking directly to your audience.

That said, the only way to get better at the videos is to do them and take feedback. Some of it will be brutal because YouTube is not a friendly place.

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:23 am

ManiacLachy wrote:Filming and doing it well is a lot of work. I like watching a few car channels on YouTube, but I cannot stand the ones where the person points their camera phone at their face and engine bay and rambles, they're just painful to watch. If you can put in the time to film it well, have a "script" (talking points) and be concise but informative, then go for it. TheCarPassionChannel is the gold standard for backyard mechanic MX-5 videos IMO, and he puts a lot of time into them. Beavis is also very good and has improved a lot over time.

Generally I think snapping some photos and adding text is the way to do a build thread, it's much easier to look back at, and you're speaking directly to your audience.

That said, the only way to get better at the videos is to do them and take feedback. Some of it will be brutal because YouTube is not a friendly place.

Yeah some fair points there, thanks for the input lachie.

I’m in no way a mechanic so I doubt they’ll be too technical but I personally prefer the video format of car stuff so maybe it’ll appeal to someone who likes them as well.

I’m not going to take it to seriously if I was to do it. I enjoy filming and editing random stuff in my spare time so I’ll try and keep that in mind.

I guess like most things it’ll just come down to peoples opinions.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:15 pm

Youttoob probably have a few million build threads at the moment. If you must do it don't expect anymore than a handful of people to watch it.

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:20 pm

bruce wrote:Youttoob probably have a few million build threads at the moment. If you must do it don't expect anymore than a handful of people to watch it.

Yeah the internet is a saturated market for pretty much everything these days, it’s more for my own enjoyment and a handful of others hopefully, might just give it a crack and see how it goes

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:51 am

Do a build thread here with photos and text and then post videos into it related to the specific stuff you want to show. Best of both worlds.
I find videos are good for tutorials where I need to see how something is done, but for build threads it's harder to skip forward and back and zoom in to see finer details etc and then also find that info later on. Like just the other day I was trying to find who did the remote mounted ignition coils behind the headlights and found it pretty easy. If it was all inside a video I never would have found it.
Keep the videos short though, people tune out after 4-6 minutes but hard to do with car videos. Oh and please don't have a 5 minute intro scene for a 3 minute video :lol:
MeepMeep

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:27 am

Roadrunner wrote:Do a build thread here with photos and text and then post videos into it related to the specific stuff you want to show. Best of both worlds.
I find videos are good for tutorials where I need to see how something is done, but for build threads it's harder to skip forward and back and zoom in to see finer details etc and then also find that info later on. Like just the other day I was trying to find who did the remote mounted ignition coils behind the headlights and found it pretty easy. If it was all inside a video I never would have found it.
Keep the videos short though, people tune out after 4-6 minutes but hard to do with car videos. Oh and please don't have a 5 minute intro scene for a 3 minute video :lol:

Will keep that in mind, I think it’s a good idea doing both at the same time and link the forum in the video and link the video in the thread to get things across better. It’ll just be good to see the car change as time goes on so I’ll try to make sure they aren’t a snooze fest

Return to “MX5 Multimedia”