takai's Just Wants To Have Fun - NA Track hack/club reg fun car

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: takai's Just Wants To Have Fun - NA Track hack/club reg fun car

Postby takai » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Had a couple of hours tonight, so got the biggest thing out of the garage and into the car, the cage.

Pretty simple install once i got the bloody soft top out, which had a nice little tear down low under the rain rail on the driver's side, so pretty sure its going to end up being binned.

Mostly fitted the carpet back in too, which will make it a bit nicer place to be in.

Found that the heater box has leaked at some point, so im definitely going to change the core and hopefully getting an NB alloy unit to make it easier to work on.

Did a bunch of wiring tidying too, but who needs to see that...

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Had a few moments this afternoon to pull the heater box out to put a new core into it. It wasnt leaking, but im bloody surprised it wasnt making my feet wet:

Has leaked and corroded so badly that the corrosion (cupric chloride and efflorescence) has actually sealed it up again. When i put the garden hose on it after coming out of the heater box it was leakier than an incontinent geriatric.

Thankfully i had already started lining up an NB unit which will drop in and make future core changes much easier.

I also added some lightness by gutting the aircon box:

The heat exchanger is easily the heaviest part there, and just gutting it will make for a good weight saving.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 pm

So between lots of stressful family stuff this weekend I was very happy to have some garage time on the side to get some stuff done.

One of the reasons i got the MX5 was to muck around and do some stuff i have wanted to experiment with for a while, but too either chicken to do on the AE86 because of costs, or illegality for IPRA.

The first of these was mucking around with flocking. The old dash was pretty munted with several cracks and actually broke in half when i knocked it on the stand. Thats ok, because MX5 dashes are like $50 for a half decent NA one. So after i fibreglassed the bottom of it to hopefully minimise cracking, i got to work flocking.

I built this little electrostatic flocking gun from an electric fly swat that i had lying around.

Not recommended TBH, it would have been better with a pressurised unit, but works well enough (although not for how much effort it was to make).

Nevertheless, it does a half decent job and the dash ended up like this:

You can see it looks a little lumpy occasionally though:

Still looks good in car:

Also jammed an NB heater core in there that needed a little bit of reshaping of the outlets, but that was easy as with the old shifter trick

Another thing i have been interested in recently is 3d printing, and given that this is the first build i have done since i built my 3D printer, i figured it was time to knock up some little plugs to seal up the AC box

And also knocked up a mounting bracket for the washer bottle:

Realised afterwards when i was looking on Beavis' site that it is very similar to what he has done for his setup. Turns out we think alike in engineering terms.

I then started looking around for other things to 3d print, and remembered that my rear valance has a big crack in it and a chunk taken out. So as a second attempt at transferring an irregular pattern to digital and then plastic i figured why not.
First bit is getting the shape:

Then scanned it in, processed the photo, then converted the image into a vector image, and finally extruded it in Fusion with a little flange lip for attachment. Giving

Worked a treat.

Then i went to turn the car around in the garage and hit a snag. Went to put it into first and ripped the entire shifter knob off and tore a chunk of flesh out of my arm. Some previous owner had installed one of those shift knobs with a grub screw, and it had torn up all the thread.

They had then put the stock shifter back in with a hammer. I kind of already knew about this, which is why i had bought a new one already. But still a painful reminder of previous crappy mods.

So short shifter went in:

Finally i turned the car around, and then got to work on pulling the water pump out and changing the timing belt

Had forgotten how annoying it can be working on road cars again, and with all of these fiddly little water hoses for random intake junk, its a pain in the bunghole
This one looks like some form of intake heater, wonder if i can delete it

While this one looks like an IACV

Probably need that one for the moment i guess.

Thats about it for this weekend, should be able to do most of the other stuff on the engine bay area this week or next weekend, but its going well.

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:22 pm

Great progress, dash looks good. :mrgreen:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Okibi wrote:Great progress, dash looks good. :mrgreen:

Hah, looks good in photos. Not so great close up. But hey, $50 dash. The AE86 dashes were going for ridiculous money for an uncracked one.

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Tue May 01, 2018 10:45 am

Good to see more progress :)

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Sun May 13, 2018 9:51 pm

In between a bunch of family stuff this weekend i found a brief 2hr gap to try and get the water pump and timing belt changed. Took about 20msn to rip it all apart and prep it for the new pump, pretty simple compared to many cars ive worked on in the past. But then Murphy reared his ugly head. The timing belt kit i got seems to be second hand or returned, as the pump is an NB unit, and some wingnut has cut off the side mounting tab to get it to clear the alternator bracket. All of that to no avail though, as the NB pumps don't have a thread in that side for the tensioner.

Rubbish, and there goes my productive time for the weekend... so i did some other things instead.

Firstly a quick block off plate for the coolant idle valve thingy:

Then secondly a simple Toyota COP mounting plate:

Finally did a bit of further automotive archaeology, and this car is a bit ideosyncratic. Whoever built this engine (or at least did the last timing belt and water pump change) was somewhat paranoid about bolts coming loose:
Every bolt is absolutely slathered in Loctite red and required a ton of cleaning up of the threads.

On the other hand that cardboard gasket looked like this:
Shipping cardboard and gaffer tape... really?

Anyway, now to wait for more bolt on parts, that will hopefully bolt on.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”