Subframes out without removing engine, trans and diff?

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Subframes out without removing engine, trans and diff?

Postby apsilon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:54 pm

So I'm hoping to finally get into replacing the parts on my NA that I want to starting in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on pulling all the arms to do the bushes, engine mounts, coilovers and brake refresh all at the same time. While the arms are out I'm going to have them powdercoated but I'm wondering if, given so much will already be out, if it's possible to pull the front and rear subframes as well without removing the engine, trans, diff, PPF etc?

I've never done anything this extensive before but I'm thinking it should be possible to place jack stands to hold all that in place and remove the subframes or am I going to get stuck somewhere? I should probably also mention I don't have a lift so I'll only be working with the car at jack stand height (actually on a Quikjack) so that's all the room I'll have to work with. I do also have 2 floor jacks and some jack stands.

Don't really need to take them out but it'd be nice to powdercoat them at the same time as the arms purely for the cosmetic refresh.

Do able or am I biting off way more than I can chew? Is there anything else I should look at refreshing at the same time while all this stuff is off the car? I don't need the car as a daily etc so time isn't an issue.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Subframes out without removing engine, trans and diff?

Postby greenMachine » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Yes, you can get the K-mount (front subframe) out without removing the engine, you just need to suspend the engine/gearbox from the top. But why? Just pull the arms off, easy peasy.

No, you can't get the rear subframe out without removing the diff and PPF. Same question - why would you do this?

My suggestion would be to buy a set of four tall jack stands (3 or 4 tonne), about $140 at Supercrap for the four. The extra height makes things sooo much easier when working under the car.

Frankly, if you have to ask this question, I suggest that you would be better off taking things in small chunks. Do the arms. While they are off get under there and look at what you have to remove/support/etc to get at what you want, and then do one or the other, then the other one. Or not.

Don't make this a 'project' that takes forever to finish, or worse never gets finished.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:00 am

As above,

Diff bolts to the subframe, so needs to come out with it.

Engine can be hung from the top, but frankly I wouldnt be trusting it enough to be under the car spannering with the engine hanging from a chain etc.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 am

I have an engine crane sitting under the house. Youtre welcome to borrow it for some time, if you decide to remove the engine
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks all. Not really interested in removing the engine at this time as I'll be doing a full strip and respray next year which will require it all out anyway. Just thought if it wasn't a lot of extra work given I'll have the arms off then I may as well. Still might, have to see.

I was more hoping that, as I'm sure a few people here have done it, I could get some tips like "while it's out replace XYZ nut/bolt/washer/bush/clip/hose as it probably could do with a refresh/breaks when removed etc etc" so I could order any parts now and have them on hand ready to go rather than find the issue then have to wait a couple of weeks for parts.

Thanks for the offer STM. If it comes to that I'll just buy one because as above, I'll need it next year anyway.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”