Ven3li's NB8B - Keeping it simple - Hopefully

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Ven3li
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Ven3li's NB8B - Keeping it simple - Hopefully

Postby Ven3li » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:06 am

Greetings! First post on the forums, not entirely sure where to post and introduction, but here seems good enough.

I've just purchased my first MX5, I've been coveting one for a while now, but there was always some reason not to buy one. Finally, one popped up for sale at the right time, in the right place, at the right price, so I grabbed it.

I've had a few different things before, most recently sports bikes, last was a CBR600RR. Before that I had a couple of Nissans, an s13 and an r32. A long time ago I also had an old RWD 626 Coupe with a 12a rotary.

Plans for the NB, hopefully keep it fairly simple. I deliberately went for something non-turbo because I also want to teach my partner how to drive properly and she is still on her P's. She has her bike license, but as far as cars go can only really drive an automatic. I figure the MX5 will be perfect for learning how to dive a manual RWD. So at least for the next few years, probably no turbo.

Looking to do a tiny bit with the engine, probably just exhaust and maybe a tune via some type of ECU, already has some type of aftermarket intake. Probably look to do coilovers and a diff first though. Being from the land of Nissans, I feel drawn to a 1.5 or 2 way, or even a welded diff rather than the torsen, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go with the MX5.

Looking to do a few motorsport events as well. Unfortunately missed a hill climb up near Raymond Terrace a few weeks ago. I used to live in Melbourne, so have dríven Calder Park and Winton, but never any of the NSW tracks. Hopefully get a chance to check them out.

I have also just moved to Newcastle from Armidale in NSW, if anyone can recommend a good mechanic I would be most appreciative. I do most general stuff myself, but always good to have some you trust to go to when something more involved needs attention.

Anyway here's is a pic of the new toy, only one I have so far. Already found some of the info on here very useful, look forward to sharing the progress with the car and maybe getting to know few of you.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Ven3li's NB8B - Keeping it simple - Hopefully

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Welcome to the forums and to MX-5s!

The car looks great, and the NB8B is arguably the best base MX-5. Torsen is going to the easiest, most readily available and cheapest, and is more than enough for most MX-5s out there, I wouldn't over think it. The 3.6 is a bit long for a naturally aspirated car, but it's great for a turbo application. The 3.6 will see you cruising just under 3k RPM on the freeway.

Coilovers, diff, light wheels, good tyres and good brake pads should see you pretty well set for a while, it'll be a great platform for your partner while also keeping you entertained. You're lucky, my partner won't go anywhere near my car despite being able to drive manual, but my car's not exactly "plush".

You won't see great power out of the car without a turbo, so if you think you'll one day go that way try to be sure that any money you throw at the car will transfer over to the turbo application. Which can be a problem when you're thinking headers and exhaust. But ECU is a great example of something that will see you on the right path.

In Newcastle you have NitroDann for help with anything serious, and very convenient for when you go turbo, or need to tune the ECU. He might have recommendations for more traditional mechanic work also.

Ven3li
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Ven3li's NB8B - Keeping it simple - Hopefully

Postby Ven3li » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:09 pm

Long time between posts for me been enjoying driving the car so far, cheers for the reply Lachy.

Definitely lucky with the partner. She is a big fan of motorsport. She volunteers on the medical team for World Superbikes and MotoGP. She got us paddock passes this year and at Superbikes she was in the course car on the opening lap of the races.

Power really isn't a focus, at least for the time being. If it was, I probably wouldn't have bought an MX-5. I would like to get the car to make power as progressively to the red line as possible though. So an ECU and maybe some headers are all I'd be interested for the time being. I'm going to LA in November, might go visit Racing Beat, tempted to see if I can bring a set of their headers back in my suitcase. :P

The car has ebc red stuff pads on it at the moment, which seem ok, didn't see any fade on a spirited run up the Oxley HWY a couple of weeks ago at least. Going to look into some MCA coilovers, they seem all the rage at the moment. Hopefully the hype is justified. Going to get in contact with them closer to the time to see what they recommend. The F9kg/mm R5kg/mm they specify for NB seem a bit stiff compared to the F7kg/mm R6kg/mm springs I ran in my R32, which definitely wasn't soft. But maybe that was just the TEIN valving.

I was excited to hear there was an MX-5 turbo guru was just up the road from Newcastle. Will definitely be in touch with NitroDannonce the time comes.

For time being though, I discovered a pretty decent tear in the roof just above the rear window the other day, so that will probably need replacing before anything else gets done.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”