Show us your oil caps

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

89mx
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Show us your oil caps

Postby 89mx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:04 am

Yo, so i just brought a mazdaspeed oil cap for my 89 mx5 and i reckon it looks pretty cool and was wondering what everyone else's oil cap looks like so please drop down a pic of your oil cap :D

Here's mine to start it off 8)
20181001_171755.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daffy
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Show us your oil caps

Postby Daffy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 am

:JDM:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 am

Thats the only pic i have atm. But im a little dirty. Cause i just plonked on the sticker without thingking much of it. And its not inline nowImage
But speaking of hair dryers & Mx5... its really appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:57 am

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:49 am

I originally ordered the original MazdaSpeed MSM oil cap from the US for my SE/MSM because that's the cap they came with in Japan and the US (deleted in Australia because it contained the word "Speed" which might lead to driving recklessly acording to the censors of the time).
Unfortunately this leaked and dribbled oil down the hotside of my rocker cover when on the dyno or dríven aggressively (maybe those "gubment blokes" were right, the word "Speed" when printed anywhere on your car does make you drive more recklessly -yeah, right!).

This leak isn't uncommon and was reported by a lot of guys on the now-defunct mazda-speed.com forum.
I was so annoyed with it I gave it away to a member who offered to pay for it - I wasn't comfortable taking money for something which I knew had a problem. I'd tried to manipulate the rubber seal in several places but it always leaked.

I switched back to the OEM plastic cap but thought it looked too bland so bought the billet aluminium eBay one that many guys here are also using:
- 3-point front strut brace temporarily removed in this shot
- no more leaks
- I chose a darker one rather than the aluminium-colour because it suits my engine bay's colour scheme better.
- for anyone who has issues with oil caps becoming loose at the track, these caps have enough meat on them for you to drill a hole through one of the "knurling points" (I don't know what else to call them) so that you can wire it securely onto something to prevent rotation.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

89mx
Learner Driver

Postby 89mx » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:05 am

its cool to see that most people use mazda speed oil caps and not cheap ebay ones and yeah must suck to have the oil leak out on the rocker covers.
cool oil caps guys :D

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”