P804

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: P804

Postby Magpie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 am

madjak wrote:Ok you guys aren't thinking through the rule set. You need to be a bit more creative and find the loop holes.

Agreed - http://www.worldtimeattack.com/downloads/TechnicalRegulations/Club%20Sprint%202018.pdf

madjak wrote:You can remove metal for wheel clearance. In a NA that means the entire inner tub of you setup the ride height low enough. Ideally run 17s with drop spindles for optimal metal removal.
Sadly, clubsprint does not allow drop spindles, unless they came out OEM. I know this because I asked last year :( But yes metal can be removed for wheel clearance and the existing hubs can be lightened...

madjak wrote:You can also remove metal for cooling, so everything in front of the shock towers can go to alow airflow through the backs of the guards. Maybe some stuff behind the shock tower too to get a bit more airflow. Much better to be safe than sorry when it comes to cooling. There should really just be a couple of tubes hitting the shock towers and the chassis rails in front of the firewall.
Sadly no :cry: Clubsprint 6 (e) Additional ducting for cooling systems may be fitted provided no modification is undertaken to the original bodywork, save for the addition of fasteners for duct mounting. Any additional ducting must be contained within the bodywork

However, 6 (b) The engine coolant radiator may be replaced with an alternate radiator of free design and size. A replacement radiator shall be fitted in the same location and plane as the original with forward or aft re-positioning of the radiator up to a maximum of 75mm from the OEM position permitted. It is permitted to modify the original radiator support panels, or radiator support structures only for the fitment of the replacement radiator, the addition of fasteners and for the passage of radiator pipe work and/or hoses only within the location of the pipework and/or hoses. Engine coolant radiator fan is free. This will allow the fitment of a smaller civic type radiator, oil cooler and air intake in the space of the OEM one. The ducting can then be built around the whole setup. Brake ducts would come off from the side of the duct to make to opening as small as possible, however need to ensure that the mass of the air flows through the radiator setup. The brake ducts may need be be located elsewhere.

madjak wrote:You can also remove a whole stack of metal at the back for a diff cooler. Just find the largest and lightest aircon radiator and mount it in the spot where the metal is thickest... and of coarse you have to duct the airflow to it so you can remove pretty much the entire boot floor and rails etc. You might also need to duct it in/out the sides too. You do know mx5s need big diff coolers right?
This thinking I like... Will need to assess the potential weight saving of trimming the diff to what would be needed to cool it. However since the fuel tank area will be impacted by the install of the cage, the metal at the rear was removed to install the fuel tank.

madjak wrote:The heaviest part of a mx5 is the sills. There are two thick metal plates pressed into the middle. That happens to be right where you need to run the lower bar for your cage... what a shame! In fact the whole cage seems to fit best right where all the heavy bits are so better start chopping.
I like our conversations :) Plus it allows the sills to be used for duct as the cage bar becomes structural and the sill is 'surplus'.

ImageUntitled by Eipeip, on Flickr

madjak wrote:If you design the cage, cooling, fuel tank, seating right you shouldn't have much original car left. I think 804 is easy to hit. No CF required.
Why do you have to be in WA! Can you (and you workshop relocate to Queensland for 10 months :)

By the way there is a WRX owner in WA looking at entering WTAC 2019 in clubsprint. Are you still planning on entering?

This should be the car's 'tag' however Mon-Fri since I commute over 500 km this is how each morning and afternoon feels.
Imagei-really-love-you-so-please-dontkillme-15414990 by Eipeip, on Flickr

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 am

I must be thinking of the Open class not Clubsprint. Most of the WTAC rules have lots of interpretation, you just need to find creative ways to implement them. I'm sure Clubsprint is more restrictive though.

I'd love to enter WTAC but it would be such a massive undertaking for me. I have a young family who would want to come along plus I run my own business. Maybe one day.
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Received some feedback on rule clarifications:
PERMITTED VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS - Each vehicle must be presented as per the OEM vehicle (see definitions) apart from the freedoms allowed in these regulations.
Now whilst this appears to be avoiding the question, it is in fact a very helpful answer. The key is what are the freedoms allowed:

1. 6 (b) The engine coolant radiator may be replaced with an alternate radiator of free design and size. A replacement radiator shall be fitted in the same location and plane as the original with forward or aft re-positioning of the radiator up to a maximum of 75mm from the OEM position permitted. It is permitted to modify the original radiator support panels, or radiator support structures only for the fitment of the replacement radiator, the addition of fasteners and for the passage of radiator pipe work and/or hoses only within the location of the pipework and/or hoses. Engine coolant radiator fan is free.
  2. 6 (d) It is permitted to add an oil cooler for the engine, and/or transmission/differential and/or a power steering fluid cooler. The location of an oil cooler is free provided each oil cooler is fitted within the original bodywork. It is permitted to modify the bodywork only for the addition of fasteners and for the passage of oil cooler pipe work and/or hoses only within the location of the oil cooler pipework and/or hoses.
  3. 6 (e) Additional ducting for cooling systems may be fitted provided no modification is undertaken to the original bodywork, save for the addition of fasteners for duct mounting. Any additional ducting must be contained within the bodywork.
  4. 15. INTERIOR
    Interior is free save for the following exceptions:
    (a) Local modification to the interior for fitment of a roll cage is allowed.
    (b) Complete original dash must be retained; additional switches and gauges may be added.
    (c) Heater core, air conditioning and related components that are not visible on the dash may be removed.
    (d) Original door trims must be retained.
    (e) Replacement instrument cluster is permitted.
    (f) Removable steering wheels are permitted if the vehicle is fitted with a roll cage as a safety precaution with regard to entry and exit access.

Another bit of metal removed... now 204.9kg

16bit
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Postby 16bit » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm

I suppose at worst if they say you are too light you can add ballast in a favorable position.
98 evo gold - rotrexed and loving it.

This post has been printed using recycled pixels

MattR
Racing Driver

Postby MattR » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:37 pm

So with all the metal cut out of the shell and the thinking being used, the 2B rules are out the window now and its just a time attach car???

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Yep straight time attack, no 2B. I could always make the blue car 2B if I get the urge :)

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”