Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Re: Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:01 pm

greenMachine wrote:I think weekends are just 'out' for fun drives, best done afternoons during the week.

This is the advantage of my highly antisocial shift work, I'm off when everyone else is busy working...

There's a nice window around 10:30am down in Nasho on weekdays I can get a fairly clean run.
It's after the MAMILs have gone but before the lunchtime scratchers show up. :mrgreen:

School holidays on the other hand though. :roll:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:19 pm

ManiacLachy wrote: The cost of a fine probably exceeds the cost of a track day now! Such is the way of things though.

I have rarely exceeded speed limits since losing my license for a short while in my early twenties. The last time I was pulled over quite a few years ago - on the way to a meet up with a Vic MX-5 forum member who was here in SA for a few days - my explanation for why I did it was accepted by the officer, and just a warning issued. He did still inform me that the fine would have amounted to more than $1200 ! At least driving an MX-5, it always "feels" fast and is still fun when holding speed limits.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:55 pm

I was going to reply earlier, agreeing with Lachy that track days are cheap, in comparison to doing that speed in public.

Say $300 for entry, throw in a hundred or so towards tyres, pads and alignment (spread over a few events), and assuming you already have the safety gear - you are well short of a big fine, let alone the cost of a big fine plus a suspension.

You were bloody lucky Kev! Last time I got booked, he took a few kmh off to get me under the '10kmk over' benchmark, saved me a couple of points and a hundred or so dollars, nothing to sneeze about but he could have let me off with a warning I thought!!

I also find that following a track day, my driving is more sedate than if it has been a while since I exercised the car on-track, further tipping the balance towards track days.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:35 am

greenMachine wrote:I also find that following a track day, my driving is more sedate than if it has been a while since I exercised the car on-track, further tipping the balance towards track days.

I totally agree. I find exactly the same thing.
Going fast on the road is such a letdown after feeling the g forces you get from a warm gripped up, soft and sticky tyre on track.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:07 pm

New trolley jack day! :mrgreen:

My old guy is probably 8 years old by now, and can no longer keep it up :shock: With some gift cards I managed to get this guy at a good price, before realising I could have got an even better deal from Bunnings, oh well.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/kincrome-kincrome-hydraulic-super-low-profile-garage-jack-1100kg/637565.html?srsltid=AfmBOoqcPSozauetTXHyF0L9daeEhuLMMRuxSjVehFPgTbyybS7wq08PzrM&fbclid=IwAR34eE4oIXQ0UZQd1OQqUq_Bk8J9_FXHHyi96zqYG2sxWVT0wGhOasauGBo

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-1-100kg-hydraulic-super-low-profile-garage-jack_p0275513?store=8175&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAsIGrBhAAEiwAEzMlC4aJf3XRlMQFch2uCLz2WZxF64wbe45BKjjEh4AT2bPSh1636ZzpJhoCnkoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&fbclid=IwAR29Dhx3lznPObyiidbozSrnhoh1QFLbB2SuAw0q9sIDGGpIMczQBAKTLbU

Haven't used it yet, but the reach and height are great for the MX-5. 1100kg limit is fine as well, and should still be capable of lifting the Subaru as well when needed.

Overhead comparison shows the extra length

This is a little bias towards the new guy with the angles, but it's lower, longer, and the hump is smaller

Usually I need to put the car on wooden ramps to get a jack under the sills, this fits right in

And easily reaches to the frame rail braces, which I use as a jacking point

I haven't tried from the front or rear, I don't think it'll reach the sub-frame point at the front, but might reach the diff. I'm over-due an oil change on time, so I'll give it a good test soon and report back.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:34 am

3 months later, I still haven't used that new jack on the Mazda :roll: I did use it on the Subaru and my partner's Fiesta due to flat tyres, so it's had some use!

Infact, I hadn't even dríven the Mazda in months until this past weekend. The weather here has been atrocious. Either biblical rains, or tropical heat and humidity - not the weather to be driving a hot MX-5 with pathetic AC. That's right the AC still isn't working! But there was a meet organized at a Bunnings this past Saturday morning, so I brought out the hose and cleaned her up before going to hang out. My car had cobwebs in the footwell :shock:

Modded SE brothers! The Ti car had an SP manifold with a GT28

Good turnout

Gotta have that NOS - it's a plush toy :mrgreen:

The meet up was good, despite being held in a humid underground carpark with no air flow. A decent turn out of cars, and the return of an old comrade in his new-to-him stock VR SE.

I wouldn't have the will power to leave it dead stock :twisted:

I'm off on holiday later today, over to NZ for a self-drive tour of the South Island with my partner. I've never been to NZ but I hear great things, but to be honest, I'm most looking forward to the cooler weather :P

When I return, the car needs to get up in the air for an overdue oil change, and a general nut and bolt inspection. I need to drive it more this year and have fun with my MX-5!

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm

That is a good turnout of cars.
I like your jack, especially it can reach your frame rails without touching the side skirts.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:51 pm

Good to see you again mate. Enjoy the holiday, and we'll definitely have to make plans for a Breakfast/Brunch run somewhere soon. 8)

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:43 pm

Back from my NZ trip now, had a great time, despite catching a dastardly cold midway through. We toured the south island, driving a massive Ford Ranger that was glad to be done with at the end. The roads there are made for MX-5s, and sports cars in general - shame we didn't actually see many of them, just more massive picks and campers.

This is too big for normal use!

A misty morning walk at Mt Cook

I got home and set about some jobs that were over due.

Finally used that jack to get the Mazda in the air

First up, my stereo stopped working, the remote fob stopped working, and the cabin light stopped working. I replaced the battery in the fob to no avail, forgot about the cabin light because I set it to off while working with the doors open, tested the stereo and central locking fuses, but they were fine. I was about to chalk it up to electrical gremlins, but after a little digging I saw the ROOM fuse mentioned in some threads, and sure enough, this one fuse somehow affects all 3 systems. I bet clubman would have known that if I'd posted a question up :mrgreen:

An overdue oil and filter change was done, straight forward and no issues.

For the past few years, when driving past a barrier slowly I could hear a cyclical, but not speed dependent tinkling/clinking sound. It's been driving me nuts trying to work out what it was and where it came from. I thought it must be a loose break fitting, or something coming into contact with a driveshaft or axel. Maybe a wheel bearing going? After spinning and rocking each wheel I found the front passenger wheel would make the noise sometimes when spinning. I took the wheel off and bounced it - there was the tinkle! Something inside the tyre was bouncing and hitting the inner wheel barrel! A trip to the Bob Jane, and we found that the valve locking nut had come loose and was being bounced around inside the tyre - mystery solved!

Next up was to address the lack of waterproofing around my speaker components in the door skin since my install of the Focals about 4 years ago. I put some rubber baffles around the 6.5 woofers, and used a half ziplock bag around the crossovers. I bought a pack including new plastic sheets and buttle, but I couldn't work out how best to use it, so I'll revisit it that another time.

Baffled woofer - I had to split the baffle to fit it, because I didn't use a connector on the wiring

Sandwich bag waterproofing at it's finest

It's a bit of a half-ass job if I'm honest. But better than before. There's more jobs I'd like to tackle, but I was eager to drive. Maybe next Spring I'll tackle some more time consuming jobs.

Finally a quick hit with the suds, then went for a cruise through Samford with my partner. It was a nice drive, but the ground was wet so we didn't go for a more adventurous drive up the mountains. The car performed well, and I'm all set for the upcoming MX-5 season when it's not ridiculously hot and actually pleasurable to drive. Hope to make more mountain drives, and maybe some track, or moto-Khana time.

A rare hardtop drive - it looks good but I do like to drop the top when I can

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:43 am

Looking nice Lachy. My White Mouse is overdue for some love now that it returns to street duties. The last track day, the tyres went beyond legal, and so I’m not driving it, mostly because I haven’t got around to finding some street tyres for it. Are you happy with what you have on 4TCC?

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:25 am

A nut INSIDE your tyre?! :shock:

Are (were) you running the 949 style valve stems, that require a nut to secure them? I would have thought that if you were/are, if the nut came off, or even loosened, the air pressure would have popped them out and bingo, flat tyre!

Only way I could see your situation (loose nut and air pressure) would be if the tyre fitter left a nut inside (dropped it and too lazy to fish around and find it) when changing back to the normal style valve stems. :?

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:39 am

The American wrote:Looking nice Lachy. My White Mouse is overdue for some love now that it returns to street duties. The last track day, the tyres went beyond legal, and so I’m not driving it, mostly because I haven’t got around to finding some street tyres for it. Are you happy with what you have on 4TCC?

I'm happy enough with the Enkei 15x8s and the 205 Yoko AD08Rs. They can slip a bit when cold, but that's part of the fun. I note that the AD09R is now out, not sure what changed though? I'm tempted to move up to 15x9s and 225s, but not enough to ignore the expense. Maybe when I see photos of the new 6ULs on cars I'll change my mind?

greenMachine wrote:A nut INSIDE your tyre?! :shock:

Are (were) you running the 949 style valve stems, that require a nut to secure them? I would have thought that if you were/are, if the nut came off, or even loosened, the air pressure would have popped them out and bingo, flat tyre!

These were just the factory Enkei valves that came on the wheels, they're aluminium like the 949s though. I didn't experience any loss in pressure, so I can't explain it. Very odd though.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”