Okibi's SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

tinsfci
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA - V8

Re: Okibi's SE

Postby tinsfci » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55853

And we all though that it was Les was buying a Qld car! So did you end up with a definite answer on driving back on the Qld rego?
Street='94 with FFS Coldside. Sold :(
Race='97 with AVO (soon to be Absurdflow) and GT2560 <--- sod that... LS1 conversion underway!

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 am

Nice upgrade Dave. Quite a rare one too. :)

Apu
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Apu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 am

Sweet jesus! Brisbane to Perth!

Great way to meet forummers on the way though. Hope it was all expensed!

MINX
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby MINX » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:48 am

Congrats Dave
very special car that :mrgreen:
Lakeside 1:02.94 Clubman 1:04.61 Sprint 1:00.81 Sportsman 1:04.27 National 1:28.36 WP 1:15.45 MtCotton 0:51.13 Symmons 1:12.2 Baskerville 1:08

Tezzax5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Tezzax5 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 am

Great job on the new toy

If you ever do a photo comp on big things plus a 5 it looks like you have covered a few bases... :lol:

t

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 am

"big things plus a 5" that's every time I get behind the wheel! :oops: :mrgreen:

I need to push myself to take a few photos for the competition pages, I am not eligible to win but it would be a bit of fun and help my photography skills.

I'd love a chance to win one of David's cool shirts, i've paid full price for the 4 I own and i'm happy to see the cash going direct to the artist. :beer:

I also did my first mod to the SE on the weekend, a cusco air diversion plate I had from the red NB. I'll need to take a photo of it.

2nd mod will be a check valve in the return line from the catch can.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am

Congratulations on the new purchase, now you just have to decide what mods to do first (I recommend an AEM CAI first, it's cheap, easy to fit and produces the biggest bang-for-buck you'll get, ~135rwkw which is how the car should have come from the factory).

How are your bones and joints after the drive? I bought mine in Melbourne and drove it back to Brisbane. Each time I got out I felt like an old man since my ankles, knees and hips were so stiff - it took a bit of walking around to get the blood flowing again. After that drive I knew that the heavy/harsh 17" rims had to go.

Any exterior pictures of the car after crossing the Nullabor? My housemate has a black car and after a week of sitting in the garage it looks filthy just from the dust it gathers over the week - after crossing the Nullabor I can't imagine how your car looked. Black cars do look great when clean though but require a lot of effort to keep them that way.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

yem11n
Fast Driver

Postby yem11n » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 am

Congrats Okibi.. Nice looking car you got there. Some really nice photos too..

And wow, distance people go to get the black.. :mrgreen:
Darkness BLACK 130i (2006) Sold

Tiny BLACK SE (2005)
A few mods.

BLACK CX5 Akera 2015
Stock as.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Apu wrote:Sweet jesus! Brisbane to Perth!

Great way to meet forummers on the way though. Hope it was all expensed!

It was an expensive exercise and hard to justify especially considering my work situation and the fact I own way to many cars and need to sell a few.

I had booked leave off work early December so it was a bad time to be asking for even more leave, that's why it had to be such a rushed drive home.

I've lusted after a turbo NB for years, some parts on my NB were bought hoping to one day move them to a turbo NB. Mark (Spy) and Sandy can be blamed for truly wetting my appetite for a Turbo NB, they both kindly lent me the keys to their cars when I was in Queensland for the NC release.

It was a tough decision to buy an NB when I could have had a 2nd Gen NC for the same price but not all decisions need to be rational, perhaps I was too stubborn to drop my dream of an NB and start with the better NC platform (I know BazGaz racing will be running rings around me in their NC). An NC would have also been more of a logical solution given my fat bhastard body shape. I have always loved Simon Corston's SE and Chris Kurtis's SE is also a car to lust after. Perhaps one day i'll get my car to the same level.

A few years ago I almost bought a Black SE but the owners plans changed and they stayed in Australia and kept the car.

This year was the first time i'd actually decided to postpone the idea of buying an SE, running in the modified class against more stripped back MX-5s I decided to fork out for headers and a decent exhaust system and some sticky tyres, I don't have the driving talent to match it with those guys but I didn't want to embarrass myself too much. At least I chose a 3" muffler with turbo charging still in the back of my mind.

Les (MX52NV) was holidaying in Singapore and spotted this Black SE on gumtree, he knew i'd always wanted one and sent me the link. Thus began many sleepless nights wondering if I should/shouldn't buy it and the logistics involved. Then Craig posted a link to the add on the forum, damn, I didn't want someone else to snap it up or for the dealer to have a load of clicks on their advertisement and think there was a huge amount of interest in the car.

By the time I got home with fuel costs and accommodation I hadn't saved much money over having the car shipped to Perth but given the floods in Queensland / NSW I wasn't comfortable buying a the car sight unseen. Would i do it again ... i'm not sure.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

marcusus
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby marcusus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Looks pretty good! Hope I can see it in the flesh soon.

Apu
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Apu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 am

Epic adventure, probably more fun if you didn't have to rush it. Would have made all the difference eh?

Aussie Stig
Stig

Postby Aussie Stig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:31 am

A black SP would have been nicer, but they are few on the ground.

I bet you will be putting the nice bronze wheels on. Will look spectacular.

It is a known fact that 50% of people are of less than average intelligence

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 am

Aussie Stig wrote:A black SP would have been nicer, but they are few on the ground.

I bet you will be putting the nice bronze wheels on. Will look spectacular.

Not too sure about the first bit but definitely a +1 on the bronze wheels on a black car:

- PLEASE don't put black wheels on it and "gangster it out"!
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Hjt
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Hjt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 pm

The SE is more attractive in stock form than a SP.

The SP to the naked eye is a normal nb8b.

As I said before brilliant choice. I have bronze 6ul wheels they look spectacular on any NB!

Aussie Stig
Stig

Postby Aussie Stig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:56 pm

The SP is a brilliant engine in an "ordinary" MX-5, whats to complain about? I will buy one soon.

I think Dave's bronze wheels are Konigs, tougher looking than 6ul and not much heavier. Fairly high on the lust factor.

It is a known fact that 50% of people are of less than average intelligence

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”