The start of a street registered track warrior

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: The start of a street registered track warrior

Postby hks_kansei » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Pretty sure Clubman's got the T1 Torsen.

NB got the T2 (but on Aussie models only the SE, and the 10ae)

As for which is better, T1 or T2, both are nearly identical from a driving point of view, but the T2 is a stronger design.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:09 pm

chrons_rotary wrote: ...and start getting the Mx sorted for hillclimbs and supersprints ... .

Ken.

Wherever you are planning on running, I presume you have checked the vehicle regs for allowable mods, classes etc?

For example http://www.supersprints.com.au/rules-and-regulations/

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby chrons_rotary » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:02 pm

greenMachine wrote:
chrons_rotary wrote: ...and start getting the Mx sorted for hillclimbs and supersprints ... .

Ken.

Wherever you are planning on running, I presume you have checked the vehicle regs for allowable mods, classes etc?

For example http://www.supersprints.com.au/rules-and-regulations/

:mrgreen:

Yeah, I have knowledge of requirements for CAMS related modifications, as I've got an rx7 running in type 3, that I've made a custom turbo restrictor for.
I'll have to make a restrictor when I go turbo for the 5.

lightyear
Infinity & Beyond
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lightyear » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 am

Not looking to make it the fastest mx5 around just looking to make a quick streeter.

Cheers,
Ken.[/quote]

Your title says track warrior. So I presume you wanted it go go pretty quick. NB8B does weigh more, but is a much better design. And you get things like ABS, might not make you faster, but will save you flat spotting a tyre and can make the difference between crashing and not in the rain. It has a 6 speed - close ratio, and stronger.
As for weight. Take out the airbags and all the chassis stiffening crap. And I bet the weight is very similar. Brendan's car has a full cage and stripped interior. But cage weighs more than interior. His car weighs the same as mine. Mine has a 4 kg Rollbar and full interior with lightweight seats.
NA8B - P.I 1:50.1 Wntn1:38.0 Sand1:27.6 Wntn S1:08 Bfrd1:06.9 Cldr1:08.5 Wak1:10.4
"SE" - P.I 1:43.8 Wntn1:32.9 Sand1:22.0 Bfrd1:05.3

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:15 am

lightyear wrote:Not looking to make it the fastest mx5 around just looking to make a quick streeter.

Cheers,
Ken.

Your title says track warrior. So I presume you wanted it go go pretty quick. NB8B does weigh more, but is a much better design. And you get things like ABS, might not make you faster, but will save you flat spotting a tyre and can make the difference between crashing and not in the rain. It has a 6 speed - close ratio, and stronger.
As for weight. Take out the airbags and all the chassis stiffening crap. And I bet the weight is very similar. Brendan's car has a full cage and stripped interior. But cage weighs more than interior. His car weighs the same as mine. Mine has a 4 kg Rollbar and full interior with lightweight seats.[/quote]

If I didn't already have the clubman and yours was closer to Newcastle I would've probably bought it. The problem is I'll be driving it to and from work everyday, so it would need to be registered/engineered for any mods in NSW.
I do realise how good of an deal yours is, but I enjoy building the car up myself too much to start with a ready made race car.

Cheers,
Ken.

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Bit of an update, installed AGI roll bar, GAZ GP coilovers, bought some 15s and have KU31s fitted, currently in Danns workshop getting a T28 and the rest fitted. I have a hillclimb 15th-16th up at kempsey and will see how it goes. Shouldnt be as quick as the rx7 just yet, but with more seat time and fine tuning, it will be.

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Havent been updated for a while, so heres what has been done.
The NitroDann turbo job was finished with an end result of ~240whp, which is a good amount for an MX5.
Got a wheel alignment done and has made a huge difference to the way it feels, has a bit less castor than stock, but running more camber, which should be good for medium speed hillclimbs.

Been going pretty good in the local hillclimb challenge this year, won my class, with a great result in the last hillclimb at Newcastles Mattara Hillclimb, first in my class and 12th ooutright from a field of 76 cars. Also only 0.12 seconds slow than the ~270hp S1 Rx7 track car i was driving last year.
Pretty happy with how it is performing, though the GAZ shocks arent that great on the road, and it is starting to blow a bit of smoke when cold (suspect worn stem seals).

I have recently bought a VVT engine with plans of building it up for a little more power, but mostly just reliablilty.

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:24 am

Good stuff man!
How do you find driving the 5 compared to the old 7?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
plohl

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 am

Much easier to handle while racing, and less tail happy, but still miss the rotary.
You can notice difference between the independant rear and live axle, having more grip when powering through/out of corners.
On that note, does anyone want a non-rolling S1 Rx7 shell for free (not much left)?

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:02 am

I could use a spare bonnet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:02 pm

Only things that are left are: Main shell, custom wing, front guards (cutout with flares), tail lights, rear bumper.

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Update- Gearbox decided to eat 2 teeth on one of the gears last week, so i bought a low km NB8A 5 speed and is now up and running again.

Fully dis-assembled the spare engine, and will start checking clearances this week, and start ordering parts.

Also bought a new set of Nitto NT01 tyres for the race wheels, $712 to my door in 205/50-15, so i can now throw out the 3 year old well worn R888s, and drop some better times.
On that note, what tyre pressures is everyone running for the NT01s in that size?

Ill have to give the 5 a wash this week and throw up some pictures.

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Another update:
Havent done a whole lot over christmas, just installed some almost new slotted front rotors.

One day i got in the car about to head to the gym and my clutch stopped working. Upon investigation found the bottom clutch hard line had a hole in it, possibly pinched from something??.
Couldnt get any new ones as it was christmas eve in the afternoon, so i reused the top hardline and routed it straight to the slave cylinder. Perfect length, even enough for a spiral to allow for movement.

Spare engine rebuild has been slow, have finished the home porting and polishing, and lapping the valves. Head close to being assembled, but still waiting on pistons to arrive.
I ended up buying:
-Manley Rods
-NPR pistons and rings
-Full gasket/seal set
-Valve Stem seals
-Front Timing Kit
-ARP head and main studs
-ACL race rod and main bearings
Plus a few other things that i cant remember.

Also bought a used GT2560 as i found my current T28 had one of the blades damaged from something coming into contact while at speed it seems.
Also some inconel studs and stage 8 locking hardware, with some new dump side studs/nuts as the current ones are pretty stuffed.

I need to get off my ass to get this finished, as the hillclimbs will start probably mid to late february, so i will want it run in and tuned before then.

Future plans are to get a 6 speed and 3.6/3.9 ratio diff and hopefully some MCA Blues, and then it should be a well sorted daily dríven hillclimb weapon.

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Also one of my hillclimbs from last year.
Let me know if the link doesnt work.

https://www.facebook.com/kendall.oconno ... nref=story

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver

Postby chrons_rotary » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:22 pm

With the new engine finished i was keen to get it running, so not having any plans last weekend, i had a full weekend free to do the change-over.
Plan was to pull it out friday, swap over all the gear saturday, and put it in and connect everything sunday.

We got it out in decent time and found that the passenger side engine mount rubber had complete torn in half.
Saturday we swapped most things over by lunch so decided to put the new engine in while we were at it.
It all went in fairly straight forward, and connected almost everything on the sunday.
Just needed to modify the fuel rail, get a new turbo drain hose, and a few other small things.

I had time last night at work to modify the fuel rail, but couldnt find any drain hose.
Will fit it up this arvo and sort out the rest of the small things that need doing and will update when it is up and running.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”