Mx5, Chapter 2

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: Mx5, Chapter 2

Postby The American » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Yes, this was previously "VRRRM"! Did you know this car before?

Well, I'm not sure an AGI bar is going to work for me in standard form. The one I had in my last car fitted nicely, but the harness bar and harness mounts were quite a bit lower than my shoulders. As well as holding me in my seat it tended to push down on my shoulders when tightened (rather than pulling them back). I think I need to sit lower, or have the mounts for the harness higher up. I'm also thinking about how I might get a taller ROPS in place without sacrificing the soft-top (perhaps there's an easy bolt in/out arrangement out there).

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby NMX516 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 pm

^^That's it! I knew the plates were something like that. When I first saw this car it was owned by a guy named Chris who bought it in Sydney with all the turbo work etc already done. He was in the club and came on a few runs. Not sure if he still owned it recently or not, because I had seen someone else driving it a few times...

Well you're welcome to come and have a look at my roll bar if you're interested in it, just PM me.
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm

NMX516 wrote:^^That's it! I knew the plates were something like that. When I first saw this car it was owned by a guy named Chris who bought it in Sydney with all the turbo work etc already done. He was in the club and came on a few runs. Not sure if he still owned it recently or not, because I had seen someone else driving it a few times...

Well you're welcome to come and have a look at my roll bar if you're interested in it, just PM me.

If we're talking about the same Chris, he bought the car unmodified and was the second owner. The car was originally sold in Brisbane according to the owners handbook in the glovebox. Chris had all of the modifications done, including engine rebuild with some forged goodies which was carried out by Mx5 Mania. They also turned it with the current, but now obsolete ECU.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Here's a dyno chart for my car on 12psi:
MX5 Dyno.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WesternPacific
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby WesternPacific » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:20 pm

pretty serious numbers there, well done!

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Yup nice power but that was with the previous owner, just make sure the tune is safe and temps are good.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Yep, I'm nervous about using it on track before I've seen it tuned freshly and safely!

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Interesting that the operator could not get the vehicle details correct so I would not put that much weight on the results, plus they are kind of old. Just my thoughts.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Magpie wrote:Interesting that the operator could not get the vehicle details correct so I would not put that much weight on the results, plus they are kind of old. Just my thoughts.

Yes, I've asked for the results from a month or so ago (before I purchased) and this is what they sent me.

Vat
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Vat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Much as I love The Jaffa, deep down, I would have a loved an NA in white, but thought an NB wouldn't have carried white as well. Your photo suggest I was wrong.
'98 Evo Gold NB8A
QR-Clubman 66.5109|Sprint 63.3635|Sportsman 67.4673|National 92.3481|Lakeside 65.7478|MP K 1:35.382|MP E 1:16.422|NM 1:08.017

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Did a service on the weekend.

Castrol Edge 10w60
Oil filter
Redline mt90 in the gearbox.

I replaced the engine oil to be satisfied it was fresh. I'm interested to know what others are currently using in their turbo engine.

The gearbox had been notchy between 1st and 2nd, and I thought some quality oil might sort it out. It seemed better after the change, and once it had warmed up. The car also has an IL Motorsport short shifter, which does not seen to make shifts easier.

I didn't change the diff oil as there appears to be mixed opinions on MT90 in Torsen diffs even though the oil weight appears correct.

Are NB 6speeds always notchy compared to a 5speed.
Are there any reliability issues or risks associated with oil filter relocation kits?

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu May 15, 2014 6:57 pm

I've picked up an oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit from another forum member since last posting. I've yet to get around to fitting, and might not for a while now, as we've finally bought a house after the move to QLD, and have to move in shortly.

I'm also expecting delivery of of some SSR Comp C wheels in 15x7 in the next week or so, which will eventually end up shod with some semi-slicks.

The last time I competed in a track event was in Dec 13, and I'm starting to get withdrawals! All of the Bookface photos from the WA club events are also not helping my symptoms...

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 pm

26 May is a club event, get your fix!

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu May 15, 2014 10:48 pm

If only the 26th of May was a weekend date or a public holiday. Unfortunately, the MX5 club Qld events are out for me as long as they fall on a weekday.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Tue May 20, 2014 8:15 pm

New shoes arrived today - SSR SSF COMP C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”