'The Mouse' is in da house

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

IanR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Re: 'The Mouse' is in da house

Postby IanR » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Nice work bud, seems like your enjoying it all. Don't let anyone talk you into a simple turbo conversion that adds 60hp, because they are wrong! It adds 120hp :lol:

Code4
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Code4 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 pm

Enjoying it yes. Learning a lot. Turbo ! Not enough shekles for that :wink:
Never put the top up unless the storm has a name.

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:25 pm

While impatiently waiting for my replacement shocks to arrive ..... I've Installed an 'Induction sound improved, hot air cone filter'. Cost was A$55 from china via ebay.

I have been in an NA with cold air induction through the cowl and found it too loud. This set up is only noticeable on wide open throttle and quiet at cruising speed.

No cold air was ingested or increase in power expected during this installation.

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:11 pm

1) Played with tyre pressures and ended up with 32psi F and 34psi R. This reduced NVA from constant rattles to the odd thump. It also gave me power oversteer on tight bends and I discovered the joy of balancing the car on the throttle.

2) Purchase four Koni STR.T relacement OEM shocks. Also FCM comfort bump stops. Finally fitted them all today using the long bolt method without major dramas. I kept the original springs. I had no help but managed it on my own.

The old and the new. Old shocks had factory stickers and part numbers. I didn't think they came with yellow bump stops so I'm thinking they have been replaced at some stage.

The rubber spring'cushions' top and bottom were in remarkably good condition so they went back on. I suspect all they do is reduce NVA.

Had trouble relocating the tops back into the tophats so used some electrical tape to keep everything in place.

First drive to settle in the shocks didn't reveal any major changes. Pitch and yaw were reduced. Ride is very slightly firmer. Ride height marginally has increased as I have more tyre clearance now. NVA went back to a constant rattle so more playing with the tyre pressures required. Rear end weight transfer has almost completely disappeared now, compared to previously.

Next major project will be a coolant re-route and new radiator. Not because I overheat the engine, its just that the factory set up offends my engineering OCD, and its something I can do cheaply.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:20 pm

da mouse is in da house.....its grey....I get that. errrrr Silver....close enough... :D
but its not fast enough cause its a NB8A....needs turbo so its quicker.
But Turbo is for pussies (pun intended) it masks bad driving.
You need to go N/A with some big massive cats....errrrr I mean cams....

ok I think I'll just gfo & hide now.... :mrgreen:
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:22 pm

..... step away from the hallucinagens Stan. Just step away ...... :wink:

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Stan is getting older. It's not drugs, it's dementia :D

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Finally got around to an Oil and filter change. It was due 18 months ago according to the window sticker. I know the last owner only did 6K km in two years.

Bought an OEM oil filter from MX5 Mania with a new sump plug ring.
Penrite 10W-50 Full synthetic was my choice of oil.
I also decided to use a magnetic Drain plug. You can get these from Asia for a total of about A$2 delivered in your choice of colours. Hong Kong seems to deliver faster than China.

Also threw a 25mm circular rare earth magnet on the side of the oil filter. Don't know if they do any good or harm ? but a filter autopsy next change will be interesting.

Why do mechanics insist on putting oil filters on uber tight ? I didn't find access difficult, just the gorilla who installed it went beyond the call of duty. You'd think, how to install oil filters would be motor
mechanics 1.0.1..

I'm driving it harder so next change in 8K kms.

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Don't get me started on mechanics and oil filters. Had to call in a friend (rock climber) to get the filter off my brothers Camry. Shouldn't lump the good ones in with the Kmart $99 oil change crowd though.

I'd be wary of those sump plugs, I assume they are aluminium, and I'd be worried that their just shear instantly when trying to remove them.
It's the oil filters job to clean the oil of wear and tear, don't know that they'd do any harm, but whether or not they do anything is debatable.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Not being happy with a new car until I have serviced everything ( so i know where it is mechanically ) I changed the diff and 5 speed transmission oil. I went to the Penrite web site which gives recommendations. http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/
These oils are used by our sponsor MX-5 Mania.

Diff oil wasn't completely black but well used, and the magnetic drain plug had some metallic debris on it. 1 litre of Premium mineral 80W-90 went in.
Transmission oil was a lot clearer with no metallic debris trapped on the drain plug. Semi synthetic 75W-90 went in. A quick test drive of my 182K car revealed the annoying 'snick','snick' from 2nd to 3rd had disappeared. Definitely an oil worth using.

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Well I managed tp purchase a Speed Racer deck lid from W.A. Here it is loosely sitting in situ.

I still have to fit a twin hoop roll bar and have the deck lid re-painted. Most people say get it painted silver as opposed to the original black. Any opinions or suggestions ?

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:15 pm

BLACK! .....

edit:..or sell it to me - I already have a Twin Hoop :mrgreen:

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Black - the contrast looks good (and you'll have a bigger market if you sell it).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Replacement radiator installed and replacement coil pack from MX-5 Mania put in. The old one had also filled with oil after the rocker cover gasket leak and had started to short out.

Got rid of the cone hot air induction as it was too loud and put the OEM system back in. Much happier.

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:23 pm

After chasing down some coolant leaks and re-tightening all the coolant hoses and fittings it was time for some safety:

Twin Hoop roll bar from Automotive plus.

OMG what a difference it made. NVH in the rear of the car has all but disappeared. Clearly three bolts per side of the Torque box into the body made a huge difference. If for no other reason I'd highly recommend you fit one of these variations to your car.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”