The (Very Slow) NB8B Track Monster Build

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: The (Very Slow) NB8B Track Monster Build

Postby speed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Very cool first car :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:50 pm

My first car (well, first one I bought on my P's) was almost identical bar the hard top.
I actually miss learning to drive, you don't get to spend that much time just talking rubbish with your dad or mum after your L's.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

IanR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Postby IanR » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:40 am

Hey mate,
Nice car! Cool to see how much your enjoying the drive, id say all that plus just book in for as much hands on skills courses as you can, performance driving, defensive driving, skid pan etc etc. There is a bit to learn and it never stops. The skill learning enjoyment is as much a part as the car modification enjoyment.
Ian

jdm_wannabe
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby jdm_wannabe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 am

So just a little update, I fabricated the number plate so it would be nicely offset, plus the matte black finish looks killer and I wanted to show it off, pics below. I know I've checked and stuff, but double checking to be sure, the rozzers can't defect me for a offset number plate, because it is visible from all the angles.

Now I get :JDM: :NETPOINTZ: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver NB8B w/ matching hardtop. Want to turn it into a track monster :twisted:

Trackphotos
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby Trackphotos » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:13 am

They can defect you for anything they like. Doesn't have to be illegal for them to issue a defect, and then it's your problem to go and get it cleared/recoup the cost if they fine you for it too. Not that an offset plate is going to get you defected, but just remember that legality does not affect defectability.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
QR Clubman: 1:03.9 | QR Sprint: 1:01.4 | QR National: 1:29.4 | LS: 1:01.5 | Mt Cotton: 51.6

jdm_wannabe
Driver

Postby jdm_wannabe » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Alright, so just another little update, and this is cool for me because it is my first time really working on my own car and stuff.

After hard corners, nothing to hard (no tyre squeal or anything close to the limit) the fuel would cut off for a second or so. After doing a little internet research and using a little (not so common anymore) common sense, I decided to have a look at the fuel pump and sock.
The instructions I found here: http://www.aus-cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38087

This is what resulted:

overview.jpg

tank.jpg

pump.jpg

sock.jpg

So what i wanted to ask was, should i get the whole assembly replaced as it looks so bad, or just get it cleaned and replace the sock and the pump, will probably be replacing the fuel filter as well. Also, does that tank look normal, or is a bit rusted, I really wouldn't know as this is my first time opening up an mx5. I would really appreciate all thoughts on what I should do :) Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:43 pm

I nearly threw up into your fuel tank.
That does not look right. The amount of loose rust scale would clog up your colon.

noobee
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby noobee » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:27 pm

at the minimum get a new sock and replace fuel filter.if you also replace fuel pump be wary,some aftermarket fuel pumps come with a universal sock that has the wrong angle,you need the same as the one in your picture.Some other guys hopefully will chime in with suggestions,I installed a genuine Walbro pump,its a bit noisier than others.
Mick

jdm_wannabe
Driver

Postby jdm_wannabe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks Bruce, what do you think I should do about it? Get it inspected or cleaned or replaced or something I am unsure.

Alright thanks noobee, I will make sure to get one that fits in the same manner as this. Walbro you said, ill look into it.

Thanks guys, any other recommendations?

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”