Daffy's SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Daffy
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Daffy's SE

Postby Daffy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:03 pm

The American wrote:Legend has it, your gear box already has shot peaned gears (if it's a genuine SE box)

Hey American, I did a bit of Dr Google research into the msm / mx5 6 speed box and mate your spot on! This is what I found....
AISIN manufacture the AZ6 transmission (the miata/mx5 6 speed- and your right, the msm is shot peaned during manufacture :D

December 1997– AZ6 — 6-speed Mazda Miata/MX-5/Roadster, Nissan Silvia, Mazda RX-8, Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS200, Toyota 86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ
http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/sp/en/

I also found some good reading from a Grassroot Motorsports thread thats worth a look;

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ ... 158/page1/
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:13 pm

luzinit wrote:Also subscribed! Love your roll bar & advans and the rest of your car mate!

Cheers mate (and speed)! For all the frustration, pulling out hair, encyclopaedic volumes of curse wording, as well threats of removal of my nuts on several occasions by my very patient darling wife for the damage done to the bank account throughout the build over the past couple of years, I can say the problem child is the best car I've ever had :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:09 pm

Sorry, proper link for the previous post :roll: (need to copy and paste into search)

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com
/forum/grm/6-speed-for-rwd-4ag/18158/page1/

viewtopic.php?t=73496

luzinit
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby luzinit » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:26 pm

Out of curiosity, what other cars have you owned prior to the problem Child?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:32 pm

luzinit wrote:Out of curiosity, what other cars have you owned prior to the problem Child?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Wow- great question that gets me thinking!! For my learners, the 1st was a 318 fireball v8 Charger painted in military green in 86, that car was fun, scary :shock: but fun. Then I got an LX 4 door 202 Torana that was my 1st real attempt at a build project in 87- it had 30k on the clock and was bog standard- I rigged it up with a 208 stroked kit, holley upgrade, extractors and some other bits. I cant recall the power output, but it pulled hard for the time, easly blowing off standard 302's and 308's- I chewed through 12 banjo diffs of variant ratios as well as a Salisbury 12 bolt. I then got my hands on a white 4 door XA 351, 1 original owner and regrettably sold it not realising the future potential value. After that I went sedate for a short time with a red 6 cylinder XD ford wagon. After getting rid of that, I bought my older brothers Datsun 1800, white and worked rally style with extractors twin SU's and some head work, that was a fun car. Moving on from that one, my dad had a ZH 77 model ford Fairlane, 351, worked with a 650 double pumper holley, extractors, head work and upgraded sports exhaust, it was painted a metallic emerald green with a black vinyl roof, it looked great and pulled hard- I unofficially had exclusive use of it for a couple of years, and it was the official cruisermobile for my circle of mates- great times in a real head turner 8) . Moving on from that after dad sold it I picked up an electric blue Sigma scorpion, just standard but with a nice set of rims it looked good- I did buy that one as I admired my olderst brothers best friend Louie's heavily modded Ferrari red Scorpion. In conversation over a few drinks, Louie said that the car had been in storage for a while (he had a young family by then and went the wagon way!). Louie asked If I was keen to buy it- drag line rims, a worked pro race motor, made into a convertible- yep, the sale was made there and then. The 1st drive I had in it was a warm Saturday night in Sydney, Christmas week- I drove it all night checking out the pretty lights of the city and the hodgepot of Saturday night revellers till sunrise. I went through almost 2 tanks of fuel! My love of ragtops was born!!
In 02 when my relationship with my wife went full on serious, we both needed a major sea change- we sold up, (including the scorpion) moved from Sydney and hit Perth, set up and lived there for a year. We bought a magna stationwagon. A year later, family matters brought us back to the east coast- in that time we got married after moving to Queensland. Up to the time of the problem child, we had a mitsubishi mirage, mazda 2, 93 corolla, and currently for the wife a VW polo tsi with all the trimmings.
I remember there were other short term cars over the years, but nothing spectacular.
As a foot note- my dad and older brothers was the catalyst for my love of cars and driving, as well as a group of friends where we spent good times with track days at Oran park.
Dad had over his lifetime owned approx 150+ cars, most notably a new genuine red GTHO, unfortunately mum made him sell a few months after buying it- she seen him launch it with my then 6yo older brother in the front seat, she seen the front wheel lift off the ground and freaked out. At that time in the early 70's all the media was carrying on about the "bullets on wheels" and "mobile coffins", after mum seen the HO wheel stand, according to my uncle, she demanded dad sell it fearing over having us young kids to look after.
Sorry if this was a bit long winded, but thanks for posting the question luzinit, Its something thinking back on that has made me smile recalling it all. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Nice!

My first car was also a charger. Later on I bought my mums 318 one owner and still have it.

Also had a sunchaser convertible scorpion that I had painted chrysler red. The deep metallic almost maroon colour that was on chrysler by chyrsler's.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:46 pm

speed wrote:Nice!

My first car was also a charger. Later on I bought my mums 318 one owner and still have it.

Also had a sunchaser convertible scorpion that I had painted chrysler red. The deep metallic almost maroon colour that was on chrysler by chyrsler's.

When looking back- how cool were these gems!! 8) 8) 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Almost identical to Dads Fairlane right down to the "12 slotted " mags, but minus the hideous windscreen louvre

viewtopic.php?t=73496

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:47 pm

Here's my scorpion from back in the day.
Had to find the photos as it was before the digital age ;)

billybunter
Racing Driver

Postby billybunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:32 pm

memories :lol: out of these I actually like the cordia turbo the best

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 pm

speed wrote:Here's my scorpion from back in the day.
Had to find the photos as it was before the digital age ;)

Nice! My Scorpion was always confused for a maserati!! :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 pm

billybunter wrote:memories :lol: out of these I actually like the cordia turbo the best

Heres a blast from the past for ya billy...... :twisted:

viewtopic.php?t=73496

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Very cool!
I've seen the VK in the flesh but not the Cordia.

Edit: actually I think the top charger is a VK and the bottom a CL. Has been too long!

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 pm

I'd say your right, I suspect the CL is a replica- still, would love one in my garage!!! :)
I have had the rare pleasure of being pulled over by the NSWPOL cordia all them years ago in Ultimo after a night at St James tavern. Ahhhh.......mohawks and revelling in the tail end of the punk scene- heady times :mrgreen:
Last edited by Daffy on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 pm

Could be genuine. I've seen it at the valiant show in Fairfield.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”