'Sunbeam' - Jelzahars NA8

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Jelzahar
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: 'Sunbeam' - Jelzahars NA8

Postby Jelzahar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:31 pm

.andy wrote:Such a tidy job man!

Red_Bullet wrote:Nice, adding cops is likely to be my next project. Wanna run them sequential with the MS3 pro.

Looks like you are doing a great job there!

Thanks guys :D keeping me motivated
Yellow NA8 that makes lots of noise

Jelzahar
Driver

Postby Jelzahar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:51 pm

So I've been test fitting to see how it all looks and fits. All seems to be going well.

Turbo water feed line is taken from the side of the block and returned on the barb on the water pump inlet. Just for information purposes its a M12x1.25 thread for the banjo on the block. Bought the bolt, washers and 5/16" barb fitting off ebay for $20 and fits quite nicely.

Turbo oil drain I used a -10AN straight fitting on the turbo side and originally bought a -10AN 90 degree fitting for the sump, but the braided line was too hard to fit it to the 90 deg. Bought a 45 degree -10AN cut the hose to correct length and bolted it all up. Originally marked the drain hole so it clears the A/C compressor.

BOV hose back to turbo inlet was joined up by silicon straight joiners. Which look a bit ugly to me especially right up front and center of the bay. So I've marked it all up and sending to get welded up neatly.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:47 pm

When do you reckon you'll stick it back in the car?

Jelzahar
Driver

Postby Jelzahar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:When do you reckon you'll stick it back in the car?

Hopefully in the next 2 weeks it'll be ready to slot back in the bay. Just got some wiring to sort out and will be good to go :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Engines look so good sitting on an engine stand. Everthing so neat and tidy.

Jelzahar
Driver

Postby Jelzahar » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Been a bit busy last few weekends haven't had a good chance to update. But a fair bit has happened:

So that thing about not painting the engine bay... Sorry couldn't help myself. Colour of choice was Honda Championship White with a 2K clearcoat over the top to seal it in. Quick hit with some scotchbrite pads and a good wipe down and mask up, turned out a lot better than i expected :D

Before and after

The wiring is coming along slowly, doing an almost full custom engine loom. Only things that it doesnt include is the TPS really. Water temp, temp guage, COP and injector wiring all gone into one easy to access 12 pin Deustch plug.

So now onto the engine, shes been sitting around a while now and after the bay was all painted it finally made its way into the car.

Auto+ lightweight B6 flywheel, DCS heavy duty pressure plate and Excedy organic disk all bolted and torqued to spec.

A little annoying thing I didn't notice till recently is that my sump plug has been previously helicoiled... Which doesn't bother me too much, but my magnet sump plug doesn't sit up nicely against it. Will have to find a special washer so it seals properly :\

Somehow managed to throw the box on with my tiny little arms (Thanks for the help Zabinskii). There;s actually more to this box than i first thought. The previous owner had actually bolted what we think was a FC RX7 input housing onto it because the new throw out bearing didn't slide over it. Odd, but luckily i have spares lying around.

And with lots of cardboard protecting my nice fresh paint we slotted her in back home and called it a day. That was about 3 weeks ago and not a single other bolt has gone back in since then :(

My fuel pressure regulator system I thought was quite ingenious (probably not really though). Bought a Works Engineering rising rate reg, 1/8 to 1/8 npt union, subaru/toyota 40mm reg adapter and a pressure gauge. Slapped it all together and fits absolutely beautifully.

Jelzahar
Driver

Postby Jelzahar » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:49 pm

So, she is just about ready to crank over and hopefully work.

Little hiccup I occurred when filling the coolant was that when I bolted up the Auto+ spacer the thermostat actually slipped and caused it not to seal up flat. Made my life that little bit difficult trying to get the thing off again when the motor is in the car. Managed to save the gaskets, soaked them in the trusty Toyota Black and got it all back and sealed right this time.

The coolant reroute pipe that i was supplied didn't quite as nicely as i wanted it to. The straight hose at the back kinked against the firewall and the front didn't quite clear the charge pipe. I was offered a full refund by Dan, so no hard feelings there. Decided the better course of action since i already had it was to get it modified. I found a 45* hose for the rear that cleared perfectly and then had the pipe extended another 3 or so inches. This pushed the whole pipe forward to clear the charge pipe as well the firewall. Also had a bung welded in for the oil cooler return.

The lower hose I previously purchased was a perfect fit, moulds into any shape and was the exact length I needed. Those AC lines had to be manhandled a little bit to let the charge pipe and lower hose clear, but all seems to sit pretty well.

Rocker cover finally bolted down and plugs installed, poured a few drops of oil down the plug holes before isntalled them just so the rings have something to slide on for the first start up.

Autometer Carbon boost guage installed and plumbed in as well as the MAC valve in the engine bay. Just as a point of interest: the MAC valve was wired into diagnostics port, one on B+ and the signal from MEN terminal which goes directly to the ECU and can be programmed as an auxiliary output by the adaptronic.

Very keen to get it started up, plan is to hopefully get it firing this weekend.

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:59 am

Look fantastic, right up there with the best of them!
Excited for first start up.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:07 am

Wow - So close now!

Very nicely done. I'm excited for you :)

I'm curious to see how your IC piping clears the air con compressor and wondering if i shouldn't have removed mine. Especially on a 35 degree day like today!

Guess I could always re-clock the turbo and make a new IC pipe if I decide to shove it back in.

Also have a reroute and hoping it fits properly to save time.

Looking forward to the start up video :D

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:41 am

wow....just discoverer this thread.

Soopoper doooper tidy. Love your work
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Jelzahar
Driver

Postby Jelzahar » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks for all the support guys :D after many hours of fiddling with Zabinskii we managed to get it started up. Oil pressure was good, no leaks anywhere but am still missing 2ft of exhaust between the dump and catback so it's very loud. My neighbors hate me, a lot.

https://vimeo.com/192386202

All the panels back on and she's pretty much ready to go to the exhaust shop so I can actually drive it. Very very excited I miss the old girl. And my girlfriend is getting pretty sick of me ignoring her for my other girl ;P

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:25 pm

Jelzahar wrote:after many hours of fiddling with Zabinskii

my pleasure.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Zabinskii wrote:
Jelzahar wrote:after many hours of fiddling with Zabinskii

my pleasure.

You should keep this sort of thing to yourselves and just talk about the car build, this is a family forum! :shock:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:16 pm

This is one of the happiest MX5s I've ever seen:
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Jelzahar
Driver

Postby Jelzahar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:07 am

So here's the latest...

Been driving around for ~250km and as expected I've run into some teething issues. And as much as I'd like to think they're only small ones they're going to be a PITA to deal with.

First issue is I've sprung an oil leak from the oil pump area. Which is what I'm also hoping is causing the odd oil pressure readings I'm getting. Cold start pressure is good, about 4bar at idle but as the oil gets to full operating temp my idle pressure drops way off to ~1bar and even less sometimes. Revving the engine and under load it doesn't come up any further than 2.5bar. My theory is the leak is causing the pressure drop along with the turbo robbing some oil pressure. Otherwise I've got a bottom end clearance issue :/

Second issue is my coolant temps. Sort of expected a slightly higher temp with a bit more load on the engine and an intercooler blocking some flow. But cruising on the highway and guages reading around 100deg is sort of worrying. In a bit of traffic I've seen it come up as far as 108. Running a 40mm alloy radiator currently with the front air dam and undertrays. All fans working as well. A suspicion of mine is on the tune that's currently running has quite retarded timing when under load and this is causing a bit of a warmer EGT than normal. As well as the cast manifold and turbo making the engine bay temps super high.

I've purchased a set of VDO guages incase mine are just playing up. (Currently just going off standard oil pressure guage and second hand defi water temp guage)

Plan is too drop subframe and remove the sump/oil pump in the next few weeks to hopefully sort the leak/pressure thing out. Probably going to get my hands on a 8b oil pump and stick some shims in. As well as a 50mm 2 row radiator to help out the cooling (currently running $100 eBay special rad).

Been great to be driving it again though I've missed it

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”