Daffy's SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Daffy
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Daffy's SE

Postby Daffy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm

Gladiator wrote:I’m sure the Problem Child will only continue to improve mate. I’ll never forget the ride I had in it/him/her. I’m going to have to rely on you & Magpie for my thrills now. Can repay with fishing trips though.

That fishing trip will have be tee’d up very soon mate :wink: :beer:
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Gladiator
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Gladiator » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:43 am

Indeed!! Although I’m sure the fishing gods have it in for me. It always windy or I’m working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

1990 Silver Eunos NA6

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 am

It’s been a while since the last Problem Child update, (work, life, covid, border town life living etc). I’m starting to look into and prepare up to finally swap out the standard BMW clutch for a sprung ACT. The Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) is not too bad and the standard BMW clutch is handling the job well, but with the driveline as solid as what it is, the NVH is taking some away from the original concept of the car being comfortable and totally streetable. My main regret is not putting the ACT clutch in to begin with making this an extra expense that could have been spent elsewhere. USD its a little under $700, so I’m anticipating that this venture is going to set me back around $1600- $1800 AUD installed. :DIY:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Is the clutch the source of the NVH?

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:41 pm

The American wrote:Is the clutch the source of the NVH?

As mine being high powered and according to kmiata there would be unavoidable rattle with a standard BMW clutch, I would say the NVH is MOSTLY attributed from the clutch (clutch in, rattle gone), kmiata recommendation for high powered street with track is an ACT 6 puck for better long term wear over their 4 puck option. My mistake was not reading into it better at the time of the rework to see the standard beemer clutch is best suited to something running a much lower power output, rather than what the problem child is putting out. Jim Berry (Race Clutch) had a solution in mind, but seeing as he is in the twilight of his amazing clutch build days, plus future availability (and factoring overall cost) a plug and play option from ACT seems the best go to at this stage mate.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:02 pm

I remember car passion channel went through a stack of testing with his.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Okibi wrote:I remember car passion channel went through a stack of testing with his.

Going through some of their videos this week- :DIY:

viewtopic.php?t=73496

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 am

Daffy wrote:
Okibi wrote:I remember car passion channel went through a stack of testing with his.

I was making my way through his videos too, and I didn’t find whether he identified the source of the vibration. Did it go away when he put the rear end upgrade in, or when he swapped from the g260 to the newer gearbox?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:47 am

I think it was when he swapped the gearbox to the newer style with the Cadillac diff. The new setup has a bushing mount part way down the driveshaft, if I recall correctly. This allows for a change in angle as well as less vibrations. It's been a while though, I might have some details confused.

I'm not exactly sure how Daffy's is setup, I'm pretty he's got a BMW M3 gearbox, as opposed to the regular 3-series box, and he's got the Caddy diff. I'm not sure about the driveshaft though.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:37 pm

In hindsight an LS swap and all the gubbins would have been the same amount of work.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 pm

Except you wouldn't be allowed to drive it. That's a negative for some people.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:39 pm

He lives in Queensland where anything can be Mod Plated.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:58 pm

bruce wrote:He lives in Queensland where anything can be Mod Plated.

An LS swap in an NB can’t.

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:27 am

The American wrote:
Daffy wrote:

I was making my way through his videos too, and I didn’t find whether he identified the source of the vibration. Did it go away when he put the rear end upgrade in, or when he swapped from the g260 to the newer gearbox?

ManiacLachy wrote:I think it was when he swapped the gearbox to the newer style with the Cadillac diff. The new setup has a bushing mount part way down the driveshaft, if I recall correctly. This allows for a change in angle as well as less vibrations. It's been a while though, I might have some details confused.

I'm not exactly sure how Daffy's is setup, I'm pretty he's got a BMW M3 gearbox, as opposed to the regular 3-series box, and he's got the Caddy diff. I'm not sure about the driveshaft though.

When I 1st installed the ZF box (from a Z4 M), I had it paired up with the original SE diff, (the kit came with a driveshaft made for that set up), there was also a rock hard bushing mount that after the install was pretty bad for NVH. We swapped that out for a similar softer GM mount that did make a significant difference. Hindsight and reading through the variations of clutch options at the time would have been a wiser move on my part to realise that a sprung ACT clutch would be both stronger than the standard beemer clutch, further reducing the NVH with the single mass flywheel, (Reading through a few of the beemer forums indicate the same issue.) Time will tell when I finally get around to pick up and install the ACT option.

The driveshaft had to be modified as well as adding the sonnax yoke after installing the caddy diff.
I have noticed a difference too since the heavier flywheel has been swapped out with the lighter one in the conversion kit (the near 9kg wheel vs the 6ish kg wheel) that has made a difference to the torque the Problem Child puts down now as a result- but I can’t be sure if this adds or retracts any to the NVH in anyway.
Here’s one link for some discussion on a beemer forum RE the sprung v unspung debate. I did also look into a Giubo after a conversation with JBT, however after discussion with mechanic Daz, this was not an option to assist with reducing NVH.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1417199
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm

I drove the Problem Child to work yesterday on an afternoon shift thinking that when I finished work after 10pm I could have a relaxing top down balmy night drive after I finished work. Normally I would turn off where I know of a couple of nice tight corners that eventually lead onto a motorway to stretch the Problem Child’s legs before getting home. However, on the drive south to home where sticking on main road incurs a ridiculous amount of stop start sets of traffic lights, I pulled up side by side with a stunning top down shining red 2020 Ferrari F8 spider GT being dríven by a very happy looking fella. Needless to say the original plan of the turn off into the back roads was scrapped. The roads were (mostly) clear, and as usual, just about every set of lights on that run south were red as we approached, but for a good 20 odd minutes both the F8 and Problem Child had a nice little duel of 2nd, 3rd and into 4th sprints! The best run was when we got a proper side by side rolling start from second (the Problem child was sitting on the sweet on boost spot at 3800rpm at this stage and it was on from there into 3rd and a way into 4th before we had to back it down on approach to another set of red lights. Both cars were loud, side by side all the way and engines roaring that mighty roar. When stopped at that next set of red lights, between us both having a laugh, the guy said “mate, I put it all the way down and I couldn’t pull away from you!”
Now I’ve had plays on several occasions with other cars I consider all class, but that little sprint with the F8 and his comment had put the biggest smile on my face and made me fall in love with the Problem Child all over again! :mrgreen: :BROADY:

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”